• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2-3 Disco, Part III

stormtracker

So when local TV Mets put out their snow maps for the public... Is it for actual snowfall or what is on the ground when the storm is finished?  Most normal people do not care how much falls, but what is actually on the ground.

The TV mets snow maps are what they think will be on the ground when the storm is done

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I wanted to try to measure my QPF ratios during my snowfall period, what would be a good way to go about that? Could I just set a big rubbermaid tub in my yard and measure the snow with a yardstick, and then measure the water left from the melted snow? I asked about this in the obs thread, but I feel like all my favorite people are here, except Ian.(he's in obs, I think).

If I wanted to try to measure my QPF ratios during my snowfall period, what would be a good way to go about that? Could I just set a big rubbermaid tub in my yard and measure the snow with a yardstick, and then measure the water left from the melted snow? I asked about this in the obs thread, but I feel like all my favorite people are here, except Ian.(he's in obs, I think).

Your container has to have a consistent cross-section, as well as a flat bottom, else there will be error.

You have the general idea. A snowboard to measure the frozen stuff, cleared at appropriate intervals, and a precip gauge to capture snow which is melted and measured at the same intervals. 

You have the general idea. A snowboard to measure the frozen stuff, cleared at appropriate intervals, and a precip gauge to capture snow which is melted and measured at the same intervals.

I've never bought that stuff about appropriate intervals. If I measure 2" of snow, clear the board an hour later, measure an inch, clear it, measure an hour later, measure another inch, then it snowed 4". Period.

I never clear anything, just making a point. My totals are probably low in bigger events.

:lol:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
1215 AM EST MON MAR 3 2014

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TODAY/...

A QUICK UPDATE - FOR THOSE W/ ACCESS TO DUAL POL DATA THE P-TYPE
CHG LN (IN KDP AND CC) IS QUITE CLR: PRSNTLY STRETCHING ACROSS
CENTRAL FREDERICK/CARROLL CO TRACKING S. RCVD A MEDIA REPORT THAT
HGR IS NOW SNOWING.

:lol:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

1215 AM EST MON MAR 3 2014

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TODAY/...

A QUICK UPDATE - FOR THOSE W/ ACCESS TO DUAL POL DATA THE P-TYPE

CHG LN (IN KDP AND CC) IS QUITE CLR: PRSNTLY STRETCHING ACROSS

CENTRAL FREDERICK/CARROLL CO TRACKING S. RCVD A MEDIA REPORT THAT

HGR IS NOW SNOWING.

You can really see the line on the correlation coefficient. Looks to be moving at 7-16 mph toward the south. Hard to tell for sure, but I took a couple of distance plots to make a guess with.

post-11896-0-44003200-1393825789_thumb.p

I am not too concerned....I think 0.6" snow is a good bet for us....so maybe 7-8"

yeah, seems about right .. not bad for a quick hitter that starts as rain. euro can be low in short term too.

Archived