• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2-3 Disco, Part III

stormtracker

Tooper on his live webcast says chance for thundersleet or thundersnow tomorrow morning... mentions NAM showing a bit more snow than he had on his forecast

Did they seriously just mention skew-T's? lol

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On that topic, what kind of amounts of ice sleet/freezing rain is the area looking at based on what seems to be faster moving cold air as opposed to what the models showed? JW if power outages are going to be less of a concern with the snow changeover seemingly starting sooner based on the air moving in faster. I'm a rookie at these things but that is what it seems to me.

The transition will likely go from rain -- sleet -- snow without any freezing rain.  The air mass/temp profiles don't support freezing rain.  Enjoy the snow!

Heck of a lightning show down over the south with WV enhancement in upper diffluence. Enhanced cloud tops and dynamics headed right for us overnight. Mosaic shows some expansion to the heavier qpf well west of the Middle Atlantic Region and the NW expansion is encouraging that the 00z NAM shift north is on to something.

I have not heard any concrete guesses on what ratios will be like. 12-15:1 for most of the storm seems likely to me, but I am not experienced with determining ratios.

it has been dicussed quite a bit, but I think that is a good call.....11:1 is climo for DC...I expect this will be more like 1/21...which was generally 13-14:1....expect that sleet and rimed snow at the beginning might cut down a bit so the 15:1 calls for the heght of the storm even if correct should be mitigated by the start....so if you expect 0.6" of liquid...I think 7-8 is a good call rather than 9"

That's debatable, gets blended with climo too much after about 36 hrs

not to mention how poorly regression-based predictions do at the tails of a distribution -- the next couple of days are definitely on the outer sigma levels

Heck of a lightning show down over the south with WV enhancement in upper diffluence. Enhanced cloud tops and dynamics headed right for us overnight. Mosaic shows some expansion to the heavier qpf well west of the Middle Atlantic Region and the NW expansion is encouraging that the 00z NAM shift north is on to something.

The convection and dynamics have been pretty intense for hours and hours sw of here. I eyeballed some t/l reports over 75 miles north of the boundary and well in front of the h5 vort.

I'm think chances are pretty high for a good number of tssn reports tomorrow around here. Favoring central va but not out of the question near dc.

01z RAP and 00z NAM in pretty good agreement re snow totals across the DC metro region

02z looks really good too....it has been trending north.  I don't think those people on the northern periphery should give up....not only because the south trend has been stymied or even reversed, but because people on the fringes can often get into secondary banding that sets up well north of the jackpotted swaths

01z RAP and 00z NAM in pretty good agreement re snow totals across the DC metro region

I'm liking the HRRR which is showing a bit better QPF fill in the northern half of the storm (DC to PA line), as opposed to RAP's weak fill and NAM's lack of much of any fill mid-morning tomorrow.

Also, I just noted when I was looking at the Rapid Refresh site that the RAP2 supposedly went operational at NCEP earlier this week. Don't know if all the sites we reference are using the RAP2, or if some are still on the older RAP.

it has been dicussed quite a bit, but I think that is a good call.....11:1 is climo for DC...I expect this will be more like 1/21...which was generally 13-14:1....expect that sleet and rimed snow at the beginning might cut down a bit so the 15:1 calls for the heght of the storm even if correct should be mitigated by the start....so if you expect 0.6" of liquid...I think 7-8 is a good call rather than 9"

I find that in many cases the ratios perform very well, but that is up here of course. Even in marginal events this applies. I don't know if it is elevation induced or what. I know someone close to the area that has a weather station and it seems in a lot of events we are close to 15:1. If 11:1 is climo for DC I guess I would be 12/13:1. I know Wes said earlier in this thread how it is easier for better ratios to occur with clippers and I definitely can confirm that. We have been easily 20:1 in several clippers since I moved up here 5 years ago. I think 15:1 is very doable tomorrow, if not for you then the close in burbs.

I find that in many cases the ratios perform very well, but that is up here of course. Even in marginal events this applies. I don't know if it is elevation induced or what. I know someone close to the area that has a weather station and it seems in a lot of events we are close to 15:1. If 11:1 is climo for DC I guess I would be 12/13:1. I know Wes said earlier in this thread how it is easier for better ratios to occur with clippers and I definitely can confirm that. We have been easily 20:1 in several clippers since I moved up here 5 years ago. I think 15:1 is very doable tomorrow, if not for you then the close in burbs.

you do have better climo in terms of ratios..and everything else for that matter......dont be surprised to see good returns set up by you.....HI res hinting at it tomorrow morning.....Models, even at high resolutions are going to have some smoothing signature...plus they arent perfect...I honestly think some people north of Baltimore are in for a surprise...not talking 8-12"...but 6-8" somwehere that might not be expecting it

On radar I'm noticing a area of rain from DC east. Seems to be a boundary there. I'm thinking that could be a hint at where the heaviest banding sets up.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw that.  Anybody want to weigh in on this?

Archived