joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 3/3 30 degree temp change sleet/ice event for NC

mackerel_sky

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good point, since we're still basically in the days where a hurricane would sneak up on you in the middle of the night and kill everyone you've ever met. 

Well to be honest, that is more a result of rocketry and photographic developments.  

GRANVILLE-VANCE-WARREN-HALIFAX-DURHAM-FRANKLIN-NASH-EDGECOMBE-

CHATHAM-WAKE-WILSON-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...OXFORD...BUTNER...CREEDMOOR...

HENDERSON...NORLINA...WARRENTON...ROANOKE RAPIDS...DURHAM...

LOUISBURG...FRANKLINTON...NASHVILLE...RED OAK...SHARPSBURG...

SPRING HOPE...ROCKY MOUNT...SILER CITY...PITTSBORO...RALEIGH...

CARY...WILSON

514 PM EST MON MAR 3 2014

...LIGHT SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATING ON AREA ROADS...

THE TEMPERATURES CONTINUE TO DROP THROUGH THE MID 20S... AND LIGHT

SNOW AND SLEET WILL FALL THROUGH 700 TO 800 PM. ADDITIONAL

SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF AN INCH OR LESS ARE EXPECTED. HOWEVER...

DUE TO THE TEMPERATURES FALLING BELOW 25 DEGREES BY 600 PM...

THE SNOW AND SLEET WILL ACCUMULATE RAPIDLY ON AREA ROADS. IN

ADDITION... THE RESIDUAL WATER ON THE ROADS WILL FREEZE...

FIRST ON BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES... ADDING TO THE DANGER ON THE

ROADS. DRIVING IS NOT RECOMMENDED TONIGHT.

I usually never bash but this was an absolute catastrophe of a forecast. 4-8 inches and I get a quarter inch. In this day and age this is putrid horrendous and down right awful seeing how much we (taxpayers) put into these models. Now I understand that people will contradict this with the Arctic air over achieved however for models to be this far off even short term models such as the rap and hrrr just as early as this morning makes you ponder how horribly off this storm really was. Bash me if you want but in just simply stating my opinion.

The final total for DCA appears to be 3.8". A bit of a bust there. Lots of busts with this storm.

To be honest the writing should have been on the wall a few days ago. This was a de-amplifying shortwave running into a strong mid-upper level confluent axis. While there was a lot of frontogenetically induced snowfall across VA, the temperature gradient if anything was weakening (frontolysis) as it dove southward today. Thus we saw a very messy precipitation evolution, reminiscent of the disorganized impulse thats sliding into the southeast today. 

That's the Cantore curse! Not bare ground, but I bet it's fun in the MA forum today!

LOL.. A lot of Loudoun/Western Fairfax/Northern Prince William and Northern Fauquier got between 7 and 9 inches. Along with temps around 15 at the time sounds like a pretty cool day!!

Aside from that its cooling off quickly here now. Down to 44.

The last 4 hours up here have been interesting.  Temperature down now to 19F.  Just when I thought this was a dud, the sleet started again in earnest and then turned to heavy snow with winds gusting to 25MPH.  Visibility between 4 and 6 was frequently less than 1/4 mile.  We went from <1" of sleet to just over 3" in this timeframe.  Not a lot of snow/ice but the ferocity (cold, snow, sleet, wind) was something I've not seen in NC since the great Raleigh blizzard of 2000.  The roads are covered in ice and snow in spite of the NCDOT plows that have been past us repeatedly.  

Looks like the ULL has just crossed the mountains...will be interesting to see if precip starts to blossom....

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/SAT_US/anim8wv.html

Something blossomed over northern Granville, northern Person and southern Halifax and Mecklenburg counties in the last 4 hours.  It is over now...the moon is coming out between passing clouds and flurries.  

To be honest the writing should have been on the wall a few days ago. This was a de-amplifying shortwave running into a strong mid-upper level confluent axis. While there was a lot of frontogenetically induced snowfall across VA, the temperature gradient if anything was weakening (frontolysis) as it dove southward today. Thus we saw a very messy precipitation evolution, reminiscent of the disorganized impulse thats sliding into the southeast today.

Appreciate you taking the time sir to comment on my post. I just don't understand how other weather offices didn't pick up on this earlier If that were the case.

Heavy stuff looks to be over for my area. Got around an inch of snow/ice. During the last hour had snow the size of half dollars. Really amazing to see large flakes like that with so low of temps. The roads are really bad; totally ice packed. I would definitely call this a win.  

**Current back yard temp at 20.7

Something blossomed over northern Granville, northern Person and southern Halifax and Mecklenburg counties in the last 4 hours.  It is over now...the moon is coming out between passing clouds and flurries.  

It was the same band that got north Greensboro. It did snow hard though here is wral's radar click the 8 hour loop shows that band traversing across the border counties.

http://www.wral.com/weather/page/8106570/?default_map=doppler

Archived