• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - March 2014 Pt. I

12z WRF-ARW 

4km NAM and the other WRF cores do haves the same gusty squall containing winds around 45-60mph 

attachicon.gifwrf-arw-east_ref_uv10m_neus_11.png

The forcing caused by the approaching front will be extremely impressive for the line development. The warm sector of the storm ahead of the approaching front will have winds at 925 screaming from the south and southwest pre frontal passage. This combined with a tight thermal gradient behind the front will cause a linear development of storms moving rapidly to the east. The temp crash behind the front should be spectacular. 60's to 20's in 3 hrs possible is some spots

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

68 right now in Altoona....probably was a little bit warmer in Huntingdon when I left around 3......wish it was gonna last a little longer

Wow, quite a few low 70s showing up on personal weather stations from Pittsburgh to Harrisburg. Typical overperforming warmth on a sunny March day.

I certainly enjoyed the heat wave we had today. At the same time the winter weather enthusiast in me can't help but be a bit disappointed that this storm shifted north enough to largely avoid us with it's biggest impacts. Blizzard warnings now up in Buf's CWA.

I certainly enjoyed the heat wave we had today. At the same time the winter weather enthusiast in me can't help but be a bit disappointed that this storm shifted north enough to largely avoid us with it's biggest impacts. Blizzard warnings now up in Buf's CWA.

They are either north or south nothing in between. Yesterday was nice!!

Looking at models, this might be a significant wind event down this way. Sustained at 35 with gusts to 55 for 9 straight hours will do serious damage with the ground being water-soaked like it is.

Anyone else having trouble posting?

We could see a 30-35 degree temp swing today. And i agree, we may go from an adv. to a watch for wind later

Rats!  I was getting excited over the possibility that my pressure was going to crack 29.00"....but it just bottomed out at 29.05" an hour ago and is rising now back up to 29.10".

Maybe djr can check pressure records for around here.  When is the last time the pressure was this low or even below 29.00"?  I thought it had been many years, however, I'm thinking that when Sandy passed through here the pressure dropped below 29.00.  Can anyone else check their records??

By the way, I haven't even recorded 0.04" of rain for the entire event yet.  Probably going to crack that with the rain that's on my doorstep right now.

My son up in Mansfield is about to get pummeled by what looks like whiteout conditions judging by radar...

40 to 45 dbz's hitting there right now.  His temp is down to 25 degrees and continuing to drop quickly.

Rats!  I was getting excited over the possibility that my pressure was going to crack 29.00"....but it just bottomed out at 29.05" an hour ago and is rising now back up to 29.10".

Maybe djr can check pressure records for around here.  When is the last time the pressure was this low or even below 29.00"?  I thought it had been many years, however, I'm thinking that when Sandy passed through here the pressure dropped below 29.00.  Can anyone else check their records??

By the way, I haven't even recorded 0.04" of rain for the entire event yet.  Probably going to crack that with the rain that's on my doorstep right now.

My son up in Mansfield is about to get pummeled by what looks like whiteout conditions judging by radar...

40 to 45 dbz's hitting there right now.  His temp is down to 25 degrees and continuing to drop quickly.

Im not sure of records for pressure in Harrisburg but Sandy got down to 28.46" at MDT

This was called in by a trained spotter they say.

17:14:30 12-03-14 box: 89-304 MISC NOTIFICATION GALLERIA MALL, 2899 WHITEFORD RD, SPRINGETTSBURY TWP, cross streets: MEMORY LN EXT / MT ZION RD funnel cloud heading SE units: DO89, FIRESTA891, Sta 89-3 (22)

Also had a good bit of thunder and some wind nothing crazy.

Archived