• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - March 2014 Pt. I

Spot-on. Folks interested in weather don't look forward to/show avid interest in a cold inch of rain.

+1....warm...rain...bleh...

obviously due to the window of opportunity in these latitudes, snow is something to track and talk about.  Voyager should move to somewhere in the Sahara....or somewhere in the arctic circle...they'd both be glad to talk about the warm n rain that you like so much.  It can (and may) snow in March around here and while I'm ready to watch my daughter play some ball, I still would take a good snow in a heartbeat.  Summer will come soon enough....

Nut

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, an events an event.. I'll be discussing it regardless. It's March 9th, and like it or not we're still largely in a winter weather regime with not many signs of seeing the big break and sustained warm up as of yet. And this coming storm does have snow potential (possibly 6+ potential for the northern tier). It really wouldn't need to shift all that far south to get more of central PA involved. I think our Williamsport friends should def be keeping an eye on it. Since the NAM has actually been within the realm of the other guidance, I don't feel like too much of a weenie to note that the 0z run tonight is a bit south/colder and has UNV near the snow line with the heaviest precip moving through. Like I said earlier today, this has the look of a typical March rain to snow event where accumulating snows will favor the northern tier and possibly central. It would take a more notable shift southward in guidance to get the Sus Valley involved. 

But in the meantime while the finer details get sorted out on who if anyone sees meaningful snow with the next event.. the next couple days should be relatively nice and quite mild. 

Rest of the overnight rundown as follows:

0z GFS Rain to snow for all with accums confined to northern Penn

0z GEFS mean was a bit south and colder than the OP, suggestive of more snow in central PA

0z Canadian seems to still be the furthest north of the guidance suite, bringing the low along the mason dixon and into eastern Penn, keeping snows confined to NW PA and near the PA/NY border.

0z Euro was nearly identical to the 12z run with regards to track and thermal positioning in PA, confining accumulating snows in the northern tier of PA and a flip to snow in the central counties 

0z Euro ensemble mean agreed well with what the operational run had.

In light of the colder 0z NAM, the 03 SREFs came in much more robust with snowfall than their 21z counterparts, with the plumes having 4 inch mean snowfall for PIT and AOO, 3 inch mean for MDT, 6" in places like UNV, IPT, and SEG, and up near 8 inches towards Scranton. The means and individual members on that get ridiculous in the stations just across the border in the NY southern tier, with BGM and Elmira means up over a foot and a good many members ranging between there and two feet. Temps up there are very cold and thus ratios are being calculated very high (probably too high). 

It's early of course to put much stock in the NAM/SREFs, but figured I would note them anyways. They def seem to be too cold and snowy compared to other guidance currently in especially central PA. What is a pretty good confidence scenario right now is that the north central and northern tier largely above I-80 is under the gun for potentially a significant snowfall, as that is a common theme in all the guidance. What is less uncertain continues to be how involved (if at all) the central counties and even some of the Sus Valley counties get with snows after a changeover from rain. 

Watches are up for the majority of New York state, I'd imagine CTP will likely be adding at least their NY border counties to that sometime today. 

Yesterday and today so far have had low temperatures at or above 32 degrees in Harrisburg... first time with back to back days with 32 degree or higher lows since December 22/23!... also record for coldest high temp on this coming Thursday is 26 degrees... with clearing skies on Thursday I don't think that will be broken but will be close... Only snow cover I now have remaining is my shoveled piles... it was an impressive run while it lasted...  only 2nd day of reporting 0" snow depth since January 20th!!

Snow looks like a long shot but if I'm reading the models right we could have a hellacious flash freeze wed aftn.

I doubt we will see much in the way of flash freeze from this... dry air moves in quickly on backside of system and winds will be high enough that roadways will dry up well before surface temperatures become cold enough to freeze

Let the low go super-north and bring us at least a few hours of upper 50s before the bottom falls out...

6 and 12z guidance has def went farther northwest and warmer today so far.. relegating the snow threat to mainly above the PA border and even introducing issues in some of the NY southern tier (esp BGM) where they had been in pretty good shape. The end game is still the same though, one heck of a temp drop and windy. I'd certainly welcome the whole rain over snow and spring fling extravaganza if there was a sustained warm up coming behind this system, but it continues to look cold more often than not and unsettled. At least today and especially tomorrow should be nice. 

Mag is there any way this trends south or will it keep going north until Buffalo mixes lol.

Well the new Euro coming in looks just like last nights (and yesterdays 12z) run, so it didn't go the way of the GFS/NAM today... instead maintaining its track near or just south of the mason dixon to around philly. Canadian was similar to last night as well. European has generally been a northern tier threat with accumulating changeover potential for more of the north central and possibly more of the interior central counties (UNV region),Laurels, and western PA. There's such a rapid temperature drop between the two 6 hour frames making up the bulk of the storm that it's tough to tell how much actually falls as snow. Won't have the snow map for awhile yet. 

I don't really expect any major changes to track at this point (like last week), but the kicker is that minor shifts will make a big difference in this area. As long as the low stays underneath PA or near the Mason Dixon, at least the northern tier/north central has a chance of seeing decent snow.. but the GFS/NAM solution of just shifting the low somewhat northwest to moving over PA made most of everyone rain. 

Can't just one of the ECM/CFS weeklies go +...please...just one!

Yes. Seriously....

One of the reasons I'm so adament about winter (and snow) being over is that I got a new job (and new career) outside of trucking. I have an fairly extensive golf course background from my days prior to becoming a truck driver. I've decided to hang up the keys, and was hired as an Assistant Superintendent on a local country club. I want the snow to melt and be gone so we can get moving with our spring schedules and programs.

Yes. Seriously....

One of the reasons I'm so adament about winter (and snow) being over is that I got a new job (and new career) outside of trucking. I have an fairly extensive golf course background from my days prior to becoming a truck driver. I've decided to hang up the keys, and was hired as an Assistant Superintendent on a local country club. I want the snow to melt and be gone so we can get moving with our spring schedules and programs.

Congrats on the new job. I'm a golf course superintendent down here in Adams County. Today I brought 3 of my crew members back after being laid off for winter. So much to do lol

Yes. Seriously....

Congratulations on the new job! What course are you at?

Yes. Seriously....

Congrats man!!! Lets get some warm weather now!

Yes. Seriously....

Great now we go from posts complaining about frozen trailer valves to posts complaining about groundhogs. :) Congrats!

Congrats on the new job. I'm a golf course superintendent down here in Adams County. Today I brought 3 of my crew members back after being laid off for winter. So much to do lol

Thanks! I didn't know you were a superintendent. We still have snow cover here, but once it decided to give way, I think we're going to be VERY busy...

Congrats man!!! Lets get some warm weather now!

Thanks and I agree 100%!

Great now we go from posts complaining about frozen trailer valves to posts complaining about groundhogs. :) Congrats!

Thanks! And nope, no complaining about groundhogs. I promise.

Thanks! I didn't know you were a superintendent. We still have snow cover here, but once it decided to give way, I think we're going to be VERY busy...

I opened the front nine today.  The back still has snow and ice on tees and greens but today's temps are taking care of that.  Last I checked we hit 61 for the high.

Archived