Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA & The Fringes - March 2014 Pt. I

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Models continue to be running too cold actual temp vs modeled temp... but I think I finally figured out why GFS has been throwing out ridiculous low temps for MDT... it seems to think current snow pack has a liquid equivalent of 1.7" which is no where near close to accurate... is it running too cold and allowing the cold air to push south too quickly? or are we going to run into bigger p-type issues than we currently think?

Models continue to be running too cold actual temp vs modeled temp... but I think I finally figured out why GFS has been throwing out ridiculous low temps for MDT... it seems to think current snow pack has a liquid equivalent of 1.7" which is no where near close to accurate... is it running too cold and allowing the cold air to push south too quickly? or are we going to run into bigger p-type issues than we currently think?

One thing Horst has been adament about (the only thing at this point) is he seems convinced we will see rain...ice...snow, and in that order. Us southern folks who might be expecting all snow will likely be disappointed.

One thing Horst has been adament about (the only thing at this point) is he seems convinced we will see rain...ice...snow, and in that order. Us southern folks who might be expecting all snow will likely be disappointed.

It's going to start as a mix, but it will only last a few hour in some of the lighter precip. He still thinks 6"+ is possible.

latest.jpg

I expect to see a few hours (2-4 hrs) of icy mix and then over to snow with temps crashing. I can see high ratio type event final 4-6 hrs. of storm. I still like my 8-12" call for southern tier. Eric has played his cards very well this storm

Does anybody have a good handle on the timing of this thing? Yesterday I told a coworker that he would have no problem going to the Hershey Bears game tomorrow afternoon, but now I'm seeing that it might start early enough to make things tricky as early as tomorrow evening.

Does anybody have a good handle on the timing of this thing? Yesterday I told a coworker that he would have no problem going to the Hershey Bears game tomorrow afternoon, but now I'm seeing that it might start early enough to make things tricky as early as tomorrow evening.

It gets iffy after 10:00 pm to midnight.  Beforehand you will be fine.

I have this odd feeling, and I don't know why, I guess do to this storm's complexity, that this is going to bust horribly somewhere.

do you know what the current liquid equivalent for snow cover around state college is right now?  the cold model temperatures have me interested but some other mets are saying they dont see an issue/not cold enough with storm... most of PA is at or near forecast highs for today already

I have this odd feeling, and I don't know why, I guess do to this storm's complexity, that this is going to bust horribly somewhere.

If anything, Jamie, I think it would bust better for us, and bad for down south. That's my "gut" feeling to your "gut" feeling. As we all know the models can show whatever they want to, but in the end, the weather is going to do what the weather going to do.

If anything, Jamie, I think it would bust better for us, and bad for down south. That's my "gut" feeling to your "gut" feeling. As we all know the models can show whatever they want to, but in the end, the weather is going to do what the weather going to do.

. If the models have finally stopped the trend of dumping more energy into the lead wave then I do think from here out we see a small bleed north but that pv means business so there will be a sharp cutoff somewhere. Kinda like the 2010 early feb storm. Question cause I was in md then, didnt the feb 5 2010 storm trend a little north the last 36 hours? At least I seem to remember from 48 hours out the sharp cutoff was close to the md line but it ended up just north of Harrisburg. Does anyone Rembrandt that? This is a similar situation.

I'm actually kind of rooting against that one to be honest. I have plans to head for home next Saturday.

Yeah. This one was definitely the "last hurrah" for me. I didn't even want this one until it was looking like it could be a MECS. Now, between moving farther into March and meteorolgical spring, AND the fact that the models "teased us" so badly, I'm definitely done with snowstorms until next December..

Archived