• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/6 - 3/7 Event is it this seasons last gasp?

WXinCanton

Just watched Frank Strait's blog, he too is going with the euro and jma on the 6/7 storm and says the western carolinas and n e ga area could be looking at a heavy wet snowfall.  he said like GSP that GFS is not to be believed.  he wasn't sure if the heavy wet snow would make it in to Charlotte, quite that far east.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watched Frank Strait's blog, he too is going with the euro and jma on the 6/7 storm and says the western carolinas and n e ga area could be looking at a heavy wet snowfall.  he said like GSP that GFS is not to be believed.

Yep, give me a perfect track and I will take my chances. I have seen ULL's and deformation bands do some crazy things, especially if they are slow-movers. They can drag down the cold air creating a near freezing isothermal sounding. Those lucky enough to be in the right spot can cash-in while areas to the north have a cold rain. The phrase "creating their own cold air" has been used at times, but that's not the case. Simply put, the system has little to no horizontal advection and this allows the column to cool via lift (evacuational cooling) and melting snow as it falls.

Lookout, fire up the cliff and start selling tickets. Probably going to be a hot ticket if you look at the trends. Every run has trended warmer for CAD prone areas.

Yep, and now our only hope seems to be a rogue ULL! Let's see how that works out?!! The 09 ULL was a long tracked storm (7-8) days out. There were wobbles and such, but modeled far out!

Lookout, fire up the cliff and start selling tickets. Probably going to be a hot ticket if you look at the trends. Every run has trended warmer for CAD prone areas.

Frank Strait says the cold air will be around but it will be modified cold air for most except for possibly the mtns of the western carolinas and ne ga. 

The SE ridge is not letting this plunge SE ward, take a look at this radar and you will see what I mean.  I am probably wrong.  This is a majority west of the Apps event.

http://www.localwireless.com/wap/weather/radar/animated/?sid=1001&state=GA&city=Atlanta&d=540&zc=&submit=Save&showstorms=10&showids=1&r=384.0

The SE ridge is not letting this plunge SE ward, take a look at this radar and you will see what I mean.  I am probably wrong.  This is a majority west of the Apps event.

http://www.localwireless.com/wap/weather/radar/animated/?sid=1001&state=GA&city=Atlanta&d=540&zc=&submit=Save&showstorms=10&showids=1&r=384.0

For the moment. Tomorrow NC will be getting some.

Possibly this storm system and the one 3-4 days later will be better known for their convective / severe weather potential.

:weenie:

As much as I disagreed with you yesterday, I will admit that the 12z Euro's setup from 99-105 hrs would likely warrant some concern for most of the Florida peninsula with a decent amount of instability showing up and a rapidly intensifying LLJ in addition to backing surface winds in some locales. Frankly the H5 trough evolution on the 12z Euro reminded me a bit of the Christmas system in 2012 except shifted SE. I'd imagine the 12z UK is also more on the Euro's side seeing its 500 mb evolution between 96 and 120 hrs. The GFS still veers the low level winds quite quickly with a less impressive system overall, which would likely limit any severe potential and the GGEM...well the GGEM is just a hot mess.

That's not to say I'm calling for an outbreak, to be honest it's a bit difficult to call any sort of severe weather event for FL this far out when there are caveats that many areas on the mainland do not face and that FL severe weather events are even more strongly controlled by the mesoscale.

00z GFS went the way of the 12z GGEM, i.e. an unconsolidated, positive tilt mess.

I think for anyone outside NE GA, Mountains of NC/Northern NC... is rain.

There is no nutty members/eps deals in the deep South etc.  I understand the idea of an ULL.  As usual if that ULL is real.. it won't benefit anyone else outside those areas as usual.  Upstate MIGHT get lucky.. but idk about that either.

I think for anyone outside NE GA, Mountains of NC/Northern NC... is rain.

There is no nutty members/eps deals in the deep South etc.  I understand the idea of an ULL.  As usual if that ULL is real.. it won't benefit anyone else outside those areas as usual.  Upstate MIGHT get lucky.. but idk about that either.

I'm not convinced even the mountains won't be a cold rain. GSP currently has FZRA/Rain mix for my area, and looking at these models, nothing is going right for a nice event.

850s are a tad better this run for the western half of NC... hover in the 0-1C range.  No real CAD, though.  Surface temperatures suck until the end for most (mid to upper 30s in NC and 40s elsewhere).  Portions of NC almost change over to some snow at the end, but there's not a lot of precip in general as basically no precip gets west of the I-85 corridor or so.  Looks like it's going to pound Cape Cod.  It will probably trend into a Boston blizzard.

I'm pretty close to folding.  If tomorrow's runs don't deliver, I'm out.  A sane person would have already folded.

Folks,

The 0Z UKMET and JMA also have nothing of consequence, joining the 0Z Euro, GFS, and CMC. I haven't seen the Korean, Brazilian, or Navy models to be fair. So, I can't say no model has it as I don't really know. But I do know that the big five don't have it. The CAD on all is minimal and the high is a mere shadow of its formerly modeled self.

Chances have dropped substantially with this steady consensus away from a winter storm. They will likely drop to close to zero if there's no drastic reversal by the 0Z's of Tuesday. Then I'd be out.

Larry, the 00z NAVGEM doesn't have it, either, so you can add it to the list. :lol: It goes OTS and a lot of us don't even get any precip.  Those that do have 850s of ~3C and surface temperatures in the 30s-40s.

The 12z JMA had the storm, but it was a torch.

James,

Thanks! So, the NAVGEM is out. Do you know how to check the Korean and Brazilian models? Rumor has it they're pretty dern good.

I was so counting on this storm for one last nice snow of the season cause I think we're running out of time.  I should know the models would lose the storm or I should say no cold air to help the storm.  Oh well maybe it trends in our favor today or tomorrow, it has before.     :snowing:

wow where is the chatter about 3-6/7 event?  has the models become so bad that no one wants to say what they look like for a winter storm Thursday night Friday time frame.  I guess the no chatter is a dead giveaway.  maybe by tomorrow things will look better.  I hope.   :whistle:

wow where is the chatter about 3-6/7 event? has the models become so bad that no one wants to say what they look like for a winter storm Thursday night Friday time frame. I guess the no chatter is a dead giveaway. maybe by tomorrow things will look better. I hope. :whistle:

They have all turned into super hot dumpster fires! No model is showing any frozen outside the mountains, and even mtns looking sketchy! ALL models went warmer yesterday and last night!

Yes apparently the timing of the upper troff reaching the amplitude to cause surface cyclogenesis will occur later and farther east than previously calculated.  Possibly the system forecast 3-4 later may have a better thermal identity.  March is the typical focus for severe convective wx over the southeast; we may see a pattern transition to this possibility over next 3-10 days.

Archived