• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
3/6 - 3/7 Event is it this seasons last gasp?

WXinCanton

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meanwhile, GSP updates their facebook page with this:

An area of low pressure may develop over the northern Gulf of Mexico on Thursday and move to the southeast coastline by Friday. Moisture from this system could interact with cold air in place across the western Carolinas and northeast Georgia to create the chance of wintry precipitation. There is a great deal of uncertainty with regard to the track of the low pressure system, the degree of cold air that will be in place, and the amount of precipitation that will fall. It is far too early to make any plans with regard to this system, but continue to closely watch the forecast through the upcoming week in case a significant winter weather event becomes more likely.

Please, continue in the future to critique my posts.  Thank you.

It's bad form to post part of an NWS statement that expresses concern over a possible event and leave out the rest, which downplays the event.  If you continue to do that, expect frequent "critiques".

CIP's analogs for today are just insane, about 75% are big hitters.  Two of the biggest storms to affect the area on this list...

http://www.eas.slu.edu/CIPS/ANALOG/stats.php?reg=SE&model=GFS212&fhr=F120&flg=

One of the heavy hitters, don't need to point out the other one, plus there are several others.

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/maps/accum.19830325.gif

Also, mean snowfall...

COOPmeangfs212F120.png

It's bad form to post part of an NWS statement that expresses concern over a possible event and leave out the rest, which downplays the event.  If you continue to do that, expect frequent "critiques".

You are correct.  However, I will do all that I can to hi-light the significant risk of severe weather in that region on Thursday.  The rain shield is iffy, the 60 kts of VWS is not.  Appreciate your opinion and also Andyhb.  The weather event will play itself out; be safe and best to you.

You are correct.  However, I will do all that I can to hi-light the significant risk of severe weather in that region on Thursday.  The rain shield is iffy, the 60 kts of VWS is not.  Appreciate your opinion and also Andyhb.  The weather event will play itself out; be safe and best to you.

I know you are new to the board, but generally, unless you are a met, stay within your own sub forum. Especially if you are going to cherry-pick the NWS statements in order to gain notoriety.

You need to go back and reread both of their responses again. <_<  That being said, there is also an etiquette thread you should read, and you may find helpful too.  Reading more and posting less is also another suggestion.....have a nice day. 

well GSP has a hazardous weather outlook for n. ga, upstate and wnc for next thursday and friday for a possible significant winter weather event.  say its a little early right now but for folks to stay tuned to the weather for 3-6/7 next thursday and friday.  GSP must be seeing something for them to already be mentioning a possible winter event that far out.  

well GSP has a hazardous weather outlook for n. ga, upstate and wnc for next thursday and friday for a possible significant winter weather event.  say its a little early right now but for folks to stay tuned to the weather for 3-6/7 next thursday and friday.  GSP must be seeing something for them to already be mentioning a possible winter event that far out.  

i would tend to agree with you - as several of our more knowledgeable posters have been saying it looks "interesting" and there appears to be some support, although it is very far out at this point.  for them to go ahead and mention it for the end of next week, and getting well into the first week or march, no less, is telling me winter might not be quite done yet lol

the cad signal etc. looks great, i just guess i am still a bit dubious as we get start heading out of the usual CAD/zr period (for n ga at least)

Maybe it the time of year, but this looks like it could either go big, or go poof, equally easily :)  Kind of fun, knowing after the Blizzard that all things are possible in March.  I've seen some of my deepest snow, and the best danged storm ever, even if there wasn't much snow, I've even seen ice.  When I was a kid I thought March was a great winter month.. especially for surprises..and now that I know something, I'm only marginally less inclined....and only after the 15th.....and  I've seen what Ulls can do even up to April.   T

The 500mb wave in the southeast on the Euro Ensemble looks really, really good...it's what you would want to see in this area for a good winter storm in terms of strength / track.  The problem is a lack of deep, cold air.  No north atlantic blocking, so the window for cold is short.  I do think the potential is there for the early portion of the storm to have a wintry mix in this area due to the good cold air damming look, which is typically as cold or colder than the models show, as others have commented.  I'm not really in the camp of thinking that you can't have icing in this area in early March.  If the setup is there with a good, cold air source, I don't see why it can't happen, and I suspect it's happened in the past...maybe GaWx has some cases.

The sfc low on the Euro Ens did trend west this run...its track being just barely off the SE coast...whereas it has been steadfast at tracking it across Daytona Beach, then off the SE coast (more off the coast than this run).

Grit/Folks,

1. Check out 3/6/48 as that was a NC/SC/GA major ZR/IP storm due to great CAD and a Miller B. ATL, AGS, CAE, GSP, AVL, CLT, and GSO all had ZR and/or IP. It was almost all ZR at ATL, AGS, and CAE. MCN just missed ZR with coldest of 33. RDU missed ZR with coldest of 35.

- ATL had 1"+ of ZR with coldest of 29.

- AGS/CAE had under .10" of ZR with coldest of 32 and 3-4 hours of ZR

- GSP had ~16 hours of ZR/IP adding to ~0.80" liquid/0.4" IP with coldest 29

- AVL had ~17 hours of mixed precip. adding to 0.69" liquid/1.0" of accum. with coldest of 24 

- CLT had ~10 hours of ZR/IP adding to ~0.42" liquid/T of IP with coldest of 30

- GSO had ~12 hours of ZR/IP adding to ~0.80" liquid/T of IP with coldest of 31

3/5/48 wx map: http://docs.lib.noaa.gov/rescue/dwm/1948/19480305.djvu

3/6/48 wx map:  http://docs.lib.noaa.gov/rescue/dwm/1948/19480306.djvu

3/7/48 wx map: http://docs.lib.noaa.gov/rescue/dwm/1948/19480307.djvu

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. March, 1960: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/gsp/localdat/cases/2010/Review_Feb-Mar_1960.pdf

- 2nd had a storm that had ZR/IP in addition to snow in some of the Carolina locations. At ATL, it was a major ZR with coldest of 29.

- 9th had a sig. to major ZR in ATL of 0.80" (~12 hours worth) with coldest of 30 but it was largely snow in Carolinas

- 15th-16th had a widespread Carolina ZR thanks to a great CAD provided by an eastern Canadian high that wedged down. ATL's coldest was 34 with rain 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. March 2-3, 1962: http://docs.lib.noaa.gov/rescue/dwm/1962/19620303.djvu

- Severe ZR mainly inland E Ga into C & E SC but major stuff just missed SAV/CHS. Caused by big 1046 mb high centered over Hudson Bay wedging all the way down into the SE US!

4. March 25-6, 1971: http://docs.lib.noaa.gov/rescue/dwm/1971/19710322-19710328.djvu

- Major ZR ATL of 1"+ of ZR on 3/25 with coldest right at 32 at airport (major ZR started a little north of airport)

- GSP had 6.6" of SN/IP but also ~0.40" of ZR mainly on 3/26 with coldest of 30

- CLT had 5.4" of SN/IP on 3/25 but also had 0.25" of IP/ZR (~10 hours) on 3/26 with coldest of 31

- RDU had 5.3" of mainly SN mostly on 3/26 but had some IP/ZR and coldest of 30

- GSO had 3.3" of mainly SN 3/25-6 but with some IP and coldest of 27

Thank You for the great work Larry....  I think tonights runs, especially the euro, will be big ones.  I know we still have time, but in my exp. when the euro wavers its either going to go back to the solution the next run or 2, or its gonna show the new look again and again.

I know you are new to the board, but generally, unless you are a met, stay within your own sub forum. Especially if you are going to cherry-pick the NWS statements in order to gain notoriety.

I'd have to disagree with you there, CAD.  That makes us sound quite uppity and stand-off-ish.  I don't want to discourage others from posting in our sub-forum.  There are several non-mets from other sub-forums who will occasionally drop by, and I take no issue with that.  In fact, I welcome their participation.  andyhb and Highzenberg are two that come to mind, quickly, and I'm sure others could quickly name a few more.

Sometimes the weather is a whole lot more interesting in another part of the country.  Just because you don't live there, you shouldn't be prevented from discussing it.

Thanks GaWx, those are all good examples of fairly widespread March icing events...got to think there have been others that were limited to just the NC Foothills over to Greensboro

Grit,

YW. I added this one to the list:

March 2-3, 1962: http://docs.lib.noaa.gov/rescue/dwm/1962/19620303.djvu

- Severe ZR mainly inland E Ga into C & E SC but major stuff just missed SAV/CHS. Caused by big 1046 mb high centered over Hudson Bay wedging all the way down into the SE US!

Summary: 1948, 1960 (several), 1962, and 1971. We're "overdue" fwiw.

Archived