• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 28 and early March extreme cold

Ian

I do not have all the details but the Signal Corp was the taker of DC offical temepratuyres starting in the 1870's and then the station moved several times and changed hands, was up on 16th St nw for a while so when you look at the cold records from the 1870's to 1930's there is UTTERLY NO SIMILIARITY to the station we now have.

Some of thetemperature achievements this winter are historic and super impressive..

Also, it's cheap midnight highs, not dirty. 37 will be the high for DCA today recorded at 12:01. To me, that is completely unreflective of what this day was about and in fact becomes more a matter of time than temperature and something is wrong with that.

I am sympathetic to your point of view. However, since there must be reset time, midnight seems okay to me. I would bet that at least 75% of the time, it works. That's pretty good.

BTW, I'm sorry I called you dirty when you would rather be thought of as cheap. LOL.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IAD reporting that it is becoming Foggy, 3/0, low the past hour was 1.

They could still miss it. Not sure where drier air is coming from at this pt though getting a few more isn't impossible.

DCA still 17.. All the Wxbugs are close and not moving much either

Gonna be tough to get the record low at Reagan...if the climod data I'm looking at is correct, the record March low there is 11F on 3/4/43. The previous records were before the site at Reagan. Obviously they are all DCA, but I thought the airport site record would be interesting since there is zero chance of breaking the 1870s records.

Gonna be tough to get the record low at Reagan...if the climod data I'm looking at is correct, the record March low there is 11F on 3/4/43. The previous records were before the site at Reagan. Obviously they are all DCA, but I thought the airport site record would be interesting since there is zero chance of breaking the 1870s records.

I'm on my phone but official DCA part of record started mid 1945 so would have to go past that. Prob 12? Got to 14 in 2009.. Thought it would make 10 or so but not sure now. Wind death could help.

I'm on my phone but DCA part of record started mid 1945 so would have to go past that. Prob 12? Got to 14 in 2009.. Thought it would make 10 or so but not sure now. Wind death could help.

The metadata has Reagan's records starting in August 1941, though it didn't become DCA's official station until July 1945. But I wonder if it is lying and thinking Reagan was the site in the city. Who knows.

If Reagan didn't have records until 1945, then the record low March temp there is 14F which occurred 3 times...2009, 1986, and 1980.

The metadata has Reagan's records starting in August 1941, though it didn't become DCA's official station until July 1945. But I wonder if it is lying and thinking Reagan was the site in the city. Who knows.

If Reagan didn't have records until 1945, then the record low March temp there is 14F which occurred 3 times...2009, 1986, and 1980.

there was a goofy transition period where records were at Hoover airport by the Pentagon I think, but snow was at 24th and M until moving to DCA..

there was a goofy transition period where records were at Hoover airport by the Pentagon I think, but snow was at 24th and M until moving to DCA..

Digging into a little more climod metadata, it appears the "WB City" coop site in DC that has the 4F and 6F temps in the 1870s actually continued until 1965 even though it was no longer the official record keeping site for DCA. But unfortunately it is hard to confirm if this dataset is spliced. It doesn't look like it is, but no way to be 100% sure.

A suspicious 11F reading on 3/4/43 tells me that the Reagan "record" from 1943 I listed frther up isn't really them, but this DC coop site. Unless they coincidentally had the same temps. I highly doubt it. I'm not sure why it would show Reagan back to 1941, but instead just be using the coop data from 1941-1945. I'm sure that period is mostly chaos with WWII, so I wouldn't expect perfect archiving of the site metadata.

It appears Ian is correct that not only did Reagan become DCA's official site in 1945, but that is when the data actually started recording there in the first place.

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
1238 AM EST TUE MAR 04 2014

...RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE SET AT WASHINGTON DULLES DC...

A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF 1 DEGREE WAS SET AT WASHINGTON
DULLES DC YESTERDAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 12 DEGREES
SET IN 1980.

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

1238 AM EST TUE MAR 04 2014

...RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE SET AT WASHINGTON DULLES DC...

A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF 1 DEGREE WAS SET AT WASHINGTON

DULLES DC YESTERDAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 12 DEGREES

SET IN 1980.

we will all be dead before that is broken

Archived