SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2nd/3rd Winter Storm Potential

joey2002

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it hadn't been for feb this year this winter would have been meh.....Here in west Hartford anyway.....and honestly last year if it hadn't been for the blizzard in feb las winter Would have been meh too....feb saves the day

same here, in fact last year we were just at normal....thanks to feb...missing out on the early nov event, march firehose, and a few others...

Euro came back north...not like 00z last night, but not the suppressed solution from 12z. Probably has warning snows for pike region southward...jackpot on the south coast and Cape...perhaps advisory snows up to S NH.

We'll see how things trend at 12z tomorrow. But there's still some pretty big swings with how the 500mb energy is being handle to our north. Off to bed.

Lol yeah that's pretty awesome. I agree it started off where the two bigger events were south of Boston centric.

Since then, not really. It's a perception thing. People don't remember when south and east areas are slop or rain, they only remember when they are the only place getting snow.

Anyways I digress, I do think the fear now over everything is suppression. I'm curious too see if the euro holds steady or comes north after a pretty large swing at 12z. Hopefully we have the southern goal post set up

i disagree as i remember everything and the area from south central ct to inland ri to s-se mass but somewhat excluding the cape has had a run for the ages over the past ten to fifteen years, esp the past five. also the nyc metro area. no offense taunton has really cleaned up in many events over the past few years both big and small.

Nice write up.....like the discussion.....I spent all day in the air today and landed at SFO a couple hours ago.....made it before the storm comes ashore....here's what's about to destroy the west facing coastal range south of San Francisco.....if it has to go through a meat grinder I'm happy I got here before it does.....This is how CA does storms....tons of rain....mudslides....flooding.....wind....

ABC3AA6F-C328-48AD-9111-07BEA382FDD3_zps

Nice write up.....like the discussion.....I spent all day in the air today and landed at SFO a couple hours ago.....made it before the storm comes ashore....here's what's about to destroy the west facing coastal range south of San Francisco.....if it has to go through a meat grinder I'm happy I got here before it does.....This is how CA does storms....tons of rain....mudslides....flooding.....wind....

ABC3AA6F-C328-48AD-9111-07BEA382FDD3_zps

Better charge the phone soon... 14 % battery.... Are you a Star Trek fan.. Left symbol on bottom reminds me of those things they communicated into on their shirts.

February made up for some of those storms earlier that were suppressed in January. ORH has had over 41 inches of snow this month, so it can't be that bad.

Only the 4th snowiest February on record. :lol:

Damn, 4th snowiest. We are coming in again at or below normal in snowfall on the mountain for February up here. November still the only month above normal, haha.

Looking at the 00z GFS, wow at NJ. Congrats to those guys on like their 5-6th warning event haha.

06z GFS Lola like a good hit.

Yeah that's much better for SNE. It's important to get into that 0.25-0.5" QPF bracket for at least one 6-hour period if you want to see it snow steadily...the 30-hours of .1" every 6-hours is fun, but can be like watching paint dry to get to 5-6" total.

The 6z GFS has a much better, concentrated burst of WAA and frontogenic forcing, rather than a strung out shredded appeal.

Well it is certainly above normal here but it's not even close to a top ten winter and we are behind last years totals (granted still a ways to go however) and the surrounding area has cleaned up quite a bit in comparison,

We're ahead of last year.

To date BOS has 56.4. Last year at the same point was 42.8. If we get a decent hit Monday top 10 status is well within reach and arguably probable.

Bomb after bomb..lol.

Maybe it'll snow up here too! Haha. Long range storms are the only ones we seem to get. Just a fascinatingly persistent pattern. I can't believe spots like ALB and ORH are top 5 snowiest February and we struggled to just get in the vicinity of normal. But Feb was a 200% increase over the Dec/Jan abortions.

For the upcoming storm, ride the GFS/ECM. They are pretty similar for the most part. GGEM was strung out suppressed but only has the NAM on its side, so I think we know which way to lean.

As Tip stated, but Scott is skeptical of, BOX is hoping for better data to be sampled...

BUT AGAIN...EXERCISING CAUTION. AGREE WITH THE PREVIOUS FORECASTER
THAT UNTIL ENERGY BECOMES BETTER SAMPLED NO ONE PARTICULAR SOLUTION
IS FAVORED. HIGHLY ENCOURAGE THE RECOMMENDATIONS COMMUNICATED BY WPC
IN GIVING PREFERENCE TO ENSEMBLE MEANS AND EVALUATING CIPS ANALOGS
DERIVED FROM GFS OUTPUT WHICH CONTINUE TO GIVE THE GREATEST WEIGHT
OF SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATING SNOWS SOUTH OF THE MA/VT-NH BORDER WITH
THE HIGHEST PROBABILITY OF MEETING WARNING-LEVEL SNOWS SOUTH OF THE
MASS-PIKE.

As Tip stated, but Scott is skeptical of, BOX is hoping for better data to be sampled...

BUT AGAIN...EXERCISING CAUTION. AGREE WITH THE PREVIOUS FORECASTER

THAT UNTIL ENERGY BECOMES BETTER SAMPLED NO ONE PARTICULAR SOLUTION

IS FAVORED. HIGHLY ENCOURAGE THE RECOMMENDATIONS COMMUNICATED BY WPC

IN GIVING PREFERENCE TO ENSEMBLE MEANS AND EVALUATING CIPS ANALOGS

DERIVED FROM GFS OUTPUT WHICH CONTINUE TO GIVE THE GREATEST WEIGHT

OF SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATING SNOWS SOUTH OF THE MA/VT-NH BORDER WITH

THE HIGHEST PROBABILITY OF MEETING WARNING-LEVEL SNOWS SOUTH OF THE

MASS-PIKE.

Well to be clear, I did say it does matter...my argument is that this is not 2002 anymore and remote sensing (especially where the s/w is) is darn good. Any wobble north or south is likely a function of inherent wobbles in the PV and heat and moisture fluxes from rain and convection down south.

FWIW, GEFS have 0.75" to the NH border now. Almost an inch everywhere else.

Well to be clear, I did say it does matter...my argument is that this is not 2002 anymore and remote sensing (especially where the s/w is) is darn good. Any wobble north or south is likely a function of inherent wobbles in the PV and heat and moisture fluxes from rain and convection down south.

FWIW, GEFS have 0.75" to the NH border now. Almost an inch everywhere else.

Yeah, we aren't going to see storms magically appear/disappear.  Wobble N/S/E/W, yes.  This may be one of the bigger storms of the season if it breaks right.

Archived