• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2- 4 Snowstorm Potential

NEG NAO

The climo talks makes no sense, you take this exact setup and place it in January and the results will likely be the same. Climo comes in to effect with marginal solutions or light to moderate snow events during the day where the sun angle and daylight play a role in accumulations.

The amount of cold air in play is also very akin to January type cold, so that completely throws typically March climatology out the window. You can't apply it when there's a massive, long duration cold air mass with -15 to -30 departures throughout the northern half of the CONUS.

I'm not talking about climo anymore but the differences between January and March are pretty big. Look at our history of snowfalls in January and March and you will see the difference. Also a 10-15 degree departure in early March is probably the average high temp for mid to late January

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A full or even partial phase is not going to do most of us any good. We really need the energy to eject as weaker waves even though this is not an ideal setup for a gradient event. We have plenty of time to hatch things out though. I'm not liking the fact we went from a progged +pna to a -pna now. More later.

It was never progged to be a positive PNA for this storm. The PNA was progged and it still is to rise.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/pna.sprd2.gif

As we saw w/ the Feb 5 event, these tend to have a lot less 'wobble' in terms of potential for a storm.  Meaning, it's more likely to do something than nothing considering out to sea is less of, or even a concern at all. 

I remember tracking Feb 5 and was amazed at how similar the track stayed for the last few days.  Long range there was a SE snowstorm and then a cutter here and there, but once it honed in on the final track, it wobbled very little the last 5 days or so.

Even though that wasn't a blockbuster storm, it still featured the heaviest snow I think I've ever seen around 4AM complete with lighting and then ice up here.  Wild!

I don't currently see much similarities between the two synoptic setups at all.

March 2001

030600.png

00z GFS for 2014

f162.gif

I knew i was going to eat crow over this with you. I meant in the duration and QPF sense. I know the March 01' storm was one tightly wound system that was a slow mover and this being a SWFE/overrunning. C'mon yank where did i mention synoptic setup? ;)

They are always very fragile for the coastal plain since we need lows to stay very weak  like 2/8-2/11, 1994 

when the PNA was negative for the coast to do well.

attachicon.gifreanal_1994020900.gif

attachicon.gifreanal_1994021200.gif

Exactly right , you want a Pos tilted trough to run under the confluence . Anything amped up will just run N .

This should  run between the SE ridge and a cold high . Any amped up system with its warm air that floods the mid levels will always win out .

So If its Pos tilted .you`re in good shape . Otherwise you can get a Center to run to PITT  . A lil early to pin that  down .

Another concern is how many of those monsterous HP systems that were forecasted for a certain storm this year have actually verified even remotely close? I share your concern on these SWFE events for the coastal plain as they are a VERY fine line for us unless we can get a strong HP in SE canada to force redevelopment of the 850mb LP to the south to negate mixing for the coastal plain. VERY early to be speculating about this storm and its impact although it almost looks certain to be a big qpf producer however.....

If the confluence is stronger, as Weathergun said, there would be a further south low transfer and cold air available for more snow. But a lot of times last-minute with SWFE events we see a north trend and the primary low hanging on longer. So we will have to watch for trends in the days ahead for more confluence and the strength of the primary.

no, i mean the following week.  I know people are going to start crying Climo and I understand why, but I think the pattern will really be conducive to a winter storm around the middle of the month.

Well I get back from a Miami/Bahamas vacation on 3/9 (leaving late in the evening this Friday, 2/28) so I hope you are correct lol.

no, i mean the following week. I know people are going to start crying Climo and I understand why, but I think the pattern will really be conducive to a winter storm around the middle of the month.

Nothing is impossible in March. We certainly can see a significant snowfall. I don't think anyone will be screaming or crying climo, but too many people seem to ignore it completely.

I'm not talking about climo anymore but the differences between January and March are pretty big. Look at our history of snowfalls in January and March and you will see the difference. Also a 10-15 degree departure in early March is probably the average high temp for mid to late January

Yeah and we're not supposed to have snow in late October or early November according to that logic, but it's happened. Obviously there's a difference in average snowfall between January and March but that's according to average seasonal temperatures, and seeing upcoming March temps similar to average January temps pretty much matches my argument. 

There's a good chance of a front end thump regardless of what happens because of the widespread cold air in place, but any snowfall at this point is a bonus after what we've seen so far this winter. If things go south and we don't get anything then so be it, I certainly won't complain. 

I thought you showed a major snow event for like 38 hours on the Ens Mean.  Why the disconnect?

I can't post the paid maps here but if you look at the individual hourly maps on SV for the ensemble mean it was a big hit.

I just went back and looked at the 12z Euro mean, I have no idea what Forky was looking at. If anything the mean low track looks south of 12z. Maybe he was looking at an old run or got it from a bad source.

Yeah and we're not supposed to have snow in late October or early November according to that logic, but it's happened. Obviously there's a difference in average snowfall between January and March but that's according to average seasonal temperatures, and seeing upcoming March temps similar to average January temps pretty much matches my argument.

Yes but it happens. October snow is rare. And a November snowfall down to the coastal plain isn't a year event either. We have a retreating cold air mass in March if the OPS are corrects. That's not a good sign. The ensembles look beautiful right now and I'd say to ride them in this time frame. I'm still thinking this track ends up somewhere between the OPs and the ensembles. Good overrunning/front end thump at the very least.

Archived