SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2- 4 Snowstorm Potential

NEG NAO

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a shift for northern areas. Jackpot to major fringe job in one run. The Euro seems even drier than the GFS up here, having gone from the northernmost solution to the southernmost. Quite a shame for anybody north of NYC.

No worries....yet, the end of the week system is still on majority of the models in some way shape or form, however being 8+days out thats as far as i will go

I remember the boxing day storm having similar consistency from like 3 days out or so.  Memory is fuzzy, but i believe that was the case. 

I'm pretty sure it was just the opposite.  Models changed on Christmas Day and people mainly ignored the weather which led to the whole Bloomberg plowing disaster.

I remember the boxing day storm having similar consistency from like 3 days out or so. Memory is fuzzy, but i believe that was the case.

The boxing day storm which is not even close to this set up was consistently shown on the models and then was lost ots in the medium range only to be brought back 36-48 hrs before the storm. The 18z gfs showed it first. Then the other models got on board and then finally the Euro. The day that it got brought back was my favorite day ever on this board...even though I only lurked at that point and hadn't signed up yet.

I'm pretty sure it was just the opposite.  Models changed on Christmas Day and people mainly ignored the weather which led to the whole Bloomberg plowing disaster.

Hmm Like i said, my memory is fuzzy.  You are prolly right.  I do believe one of the storms from that season was modeled pretty consistently from 3 days out.  I cant remember which one though.

If this verifies, though, it will pretty remarkable to see such consistency so far out.  From the GFS no less.

The boxing day storm which is not even close to this set up was consistently shown on the models and then was lost ots in the medium range only to be brought back 36-48 hrs before the storm. The 18z gfs showed it first. Then the other models got on board and then finally the Euro. The day that it got brought back was my favorite day ever on this board.

The 18z gfs brought it back from the dead

Went back and found the infamous HPC message...

INITIALIZATION ERRORS IN NUMEROUS DIAGNOSTIC
QUANTITIES...INCLUDING HEIGHT/VORTICITY FIELDS/RH...ARE EVIDENT IN
BOTH THE 12Z NAM/GFS WITH SMALL BUT LIKELY SIGNIFICANT SHORTWAVE
TROUGHS OVER SOUTH DAKOTA/NEBRASKA ALONG WITH
SASKATCHEWAN/MANITOBA...WITH THESE AREAS ALSO NOT PARTICULARLY
RESOLVED OR PREDICTED WELL BY THE 00Z ECMWF
. THUS...THE SPECIFIC
PREDICTIONS BY ALL DETERMINISTIC GUIDANCE ARE IN QUESTION...WITH
THE RECOMMENDATION TO FOLLOW CONTINUITY...WITH THE FINAL OUTCOME
MOST BELIEVED TO LIE BETWEEN THE 06Z GFS AND 00Z ECMWF.          

Archived