• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2- 4 Snowstorm Potential

NEG NAO

All I can focus on in that image is the massive, sprawling arctic high pressure on the north side of a thermal gradient.

Beautiful.

It's beautiful setup for CAA on the N-NE wind. The GFS resolution at this range, is also likely to underdo the thermal gradient. A stronger thermal gradient, will enhance lifting and snowfall rates to perhaps 1"-2" per hour on Monday, to the north of it.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some individuals tried to use the 'sun-angle argument' during the October 2011 noreaster and we had 1 to 2 ft of snow across much of interior.

That was HEAVY rates!  I don't care, you can all disagree.  The fact of the matter is, without heavy rates a system like this will NOT give you 16-18" of snow.  The sun angle on March 4 is similar to the sun angle of late september/early oct.  FACT! 

May 1977 I believe in New England proves that snow can accumulate despite sun angle. Cold and rates play more of a role obviously than late December, but it's difficult getting much accumulation if temps are borderline and the snow is light during January. 

Worcester picked up more than a foot in that storm. Boston received 0.5".  Higher elevations in NY, CT, and MA did very well with that storm.

That's a rare occurrence, and as you get closer to April sun angle does begin to play a role. The beginning of April sun angle is equivalent to the end of August. Not saying it can't happen, because it obviously has and will again, if you can get heavy enough rates and a cold enough air mass.

agreed.  i was in Boston at school for the April Fools Day Storm in 1997 and that 3 feet of snow did not have much trouble accumulating. I think it was close to 70 degrees less than two days before the storm as well.  If it snows heavy enough it will stick anytime.  

Archived