• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2014 General Discussion

Geos

You echo my sentiments exactly, March 2012 was my favorite "March" that I've lived through by the widest of margins. It was like a dream, something so insanely awesome with the beauty of the environment and everything just turning into summer instantly like that; is impossible to re-create without traveling far away. The Great March Heatwave was the weather event that made me feel the happiest out of all others if I were going by that basis. I still think about it frequently and its right at the top of events that I would do major research and in-depth analysis on.

As "beautiful" as it was, it killed the entire apple and cherry crop up here.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As "beautiful" as it was, it killed the entire apple and cherry crop up here.

That's the thing, as beautiful as it was it was just wrong. Bizarre. Totally out of season. Like DTX put it, the most anomalous stretch of weather in known Michigan history. 

Whenever you have a weather pattern that out of place for that long there is gonna be consequences. Much like this amazing but anomalous winter we're having is reaking havoc on the road and water infrastructure in Detroit.

You echo my sentiments exactly, March 2012 was my favorite "March" that I've lived through by the widest of margins. It was like a dream, something so insanely awesome with the beauty of the environment and everything just turning into summer instantly like that; is impossible to re-create without traveling far away. The Great March Heatwave was the weather event that made me feel the happiest out of all others if I were going by that basis. I still think about it frequently and its right at the top of events that I would do major research and in-depth analysis on.

Go

Going to need a "Morch" redux to get a golf course open around here before April.

At this point, just give me seasonal temps. With DST coming up, I would prefer to not have an additional hour of sunlight on the frozen tundra.

Word from the supers around here, is even if tomorrow started an above normal temperature regime...we'd still be 3-4 weeks away from opening the courses for play. Deep frost in the ground, etc etc. And of course that's assuming a dry stretch too. I suppose the goat ranches won't wait though. Hopefully by the "official unofficial" golf season kick-off for here, which is Masters weekend, we're good to go. Hopefully...

Word from the supers around here, is even if tomorrow started an above normal temperature regime...we'd still be 3-4 weeks away from opening the courses for play. Deep frost in the ground, etc etc. And of course that's assuming a dry stretch too. Hopefully by the "official unofficial" golf season kick-off for here, which is Masters weekend, we're good to go. Hopefully...

Early season/mid season Cubs games are going to be fun.  A nice lake breeze should cool things off nicely until late June...  They should force those guys to do all spring training at home :)

It's March, yet it's -4 with a wind chill of -25 this morning.  In a winter where nearly every snow event has been followed by brutal cold, this is the second coldest it has been following a storm.  This is truly extreme for March.  Blowing/shoveling this morning was a nightmare.  Even with hand warmers, I had to come in three times because my fingers were hurting so bad.  I can't take this anymore. This is easily the coldest winter I can remember.

Early season/mid season Cubs games are going to be fun.  A nice lake breeze should cool things off nicely until late June...  They should force those guys to do all spring training at home :)

I've froze my ass off in June at Wrigley. Lake fronts/breezes can always be sneaky.

But what they should do, is force them to fold the franchise...so I can find a new team to root for. :D

I've froze my ass off in June at Wrigley. Lake fronts/breezes can always be sneaky.

But what they should do, is force them to fold the franchise...so I can find a new team to root for. :D

Your answer is to bulldoze Wrigley and put up low income housing?  how dare you! :) :) :)  

I've never been to the beautiful Wrigley Park, but i've heard so many nice things about it. 

Temp going nowhere.  More sunshine :shiver:

One of my brother's left for Cancun a week ago and doesn't come back for another week...i think he timed it very nicely.

Your answer is to bulldoze Wrigley and put up low income housing?  how dare you! :) :) :)  

I've never been to the beautiful Wrigley Park, but i've heard so many nice things about it. 

Temp going nowhere.  More sunshine :shiver:

One of my brother's left for Cancun a week ago and doesn't come back for another week...i think he timed it very nicely.

Old time baseball appeal. It's dumpy with amenities, but I still love going there. When they get the renovations done...hopefully by the next century, it'll be a better experience for those that want nice bathrooms. ;)

That's the thing, as beautiful as it was it was just wrong. Bizarre. Totally out of season. Like DTX put it, the most anomalous stretch of weather in known Michigan history. 

Whenever you have a weather pattern that out of place for that long there is gonna be consequences. Much like this amazing but anomalous winter we're having is reaking havoc on the road and water infrastructure in Detroit.

Well the road and water/sewage infrastructure in/around the city was already severely outdated and in need of practically a complete overhaul.

This winter is just the straw that's breaking the camel's back (in a town that's now bankrupt no less). 

Got down to 3 above this morning.  Back up to 6 with sun breaking through.  Snow depth back up to about 7".

-10 in the point for tonight, and -3 tomorrow night, although that could happen before midnight, so may not get the below zero reading for the 4th.  Gonna be close. 

There's going to be some incredible warm front setups across Illinois in the next month or two.  Gradients from northeast IL to central IL could be incredible.

March 2nd sun is getting powerful, its blinding outside with the snowpack and sun. Any speck of concrete showing will melt off the entire surface even at 9F.

That's the one positive thing about sunny days during March, clean pavement.

Go

Going to need a "Morch" redux to get a golf course open around here before April.

At this point, just give me seasonal temps. With DST coming up, I would prefer to not have an additional hour of sunlight on the frozen tundra.

+100

Yeah next Sunday it will be getting dark at 7pm. 

Even with it being 9°, water is dripping off the roof now.

---

Few pics from today. 

Last picture shows that even with a little bit of ground water infiltrating into the pond, it can remain open at one end despite it being sub 10°. The water is actually "steaming" a bit due to a good 40° difference between air and water.

post-7389-0-37009800-1393781675_thumb.jp

post-7389-0-02061200-1393781685_thumb.jp

post-7389-0-75636600-1393781693_thumb.jp

What was 1880/81 at through this point? Less then 10" to go. Dan Thompson at DTX quoted as saying he doesn't think it'll surpass the record.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140302/METRO08/303020025/Expert-Detroit-s-second-snowiest-winter-unlikely-surpass-record

Not sure how he could make that call, especially considering it is only 9.9" to go and average from now to the end of the season is 8.5", overachieving 1.5" is not unrealistic compared to average. Not to mention that it looks to remain cold through the month so the monthly precipitation would more than likely be dominated by snow.

I have to admit that this new winter finds new ways to impress you every day. As I was shoveling 4.4" of powder at 9 degrees this morning, Im thinking lol...this is March! It is also an excellent indicator of how a fresh snow like this transforms the unsightly dirty glacial slab of snow into instant velvetty deep winter wonderland again.

3952-800.jpg

Archived