SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 3-5 Event

windvane

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heard an interview on 97.5 the other week - he stated how his producer would not allow him to discuss the fact that a few days before "the storm" he thought it might be a miss. The producer supposedly told him absolutely not - that they had finally passed Channel 6 in ratings the past few days.

The way Bolaris talked in the interview - was very believable.

Of course I am paraphrasing the whole interview - but was a good interview.

Heard an interview on 97.5 the other week - he stated how his producer would not allow him to discuss the fact that a few days before "the storm" he thought it might be a miss. The producer supposedly told him absolutely not - that they had finally passed Channel 6 in ratings the past few days.

I actually don't blame Bolaris..,..,media hype is/was the problem.

7 to 10 day range is storm suicide watch.  Will keep an eye but over the last few days to a week the threat keeps getting pushed back to "the next one."  Makes me highly skeptical; that and it's March.  What is Philly's largest March snowfall?

Probably March 21st or thereabouts in 1958, 36" in the burbs anyway. Questions? (lol)

Edit: In Philly it was 11.4". Much more in the suburbs though. 50" in Morgantown, PA. Elevation helped a lot.

7 to 10 day range is storm suicide watch.  Will keep an eye but over the last few days to a week the threat keeps getting pushed back to "the next one."  Makes me highly skeptical; that and it's March.  What is Philly's largest March snowfall?

93 superstorm - 12.0"

3/19-21/58 - 11.4"

3/12/88 - 10.5"

Morgantown, PA had 50" in the '58 storm

At least we have GFS support adding to the march 3-4 threat it was never on board for this weeks two fizzled threats. 0z ECM was a MECS for the area that is two runs in a row.

gfs had the weekend system for 3 straight runs before losing it. This threat so far is the same. I'm willing to bet this one holds but we end up too warm.

gfs had the weekend system for 3 straight runs before losing it. This threat so far is the same. I'm willing to bet this one holds but we end up too warm.

Look what HM was saying in the MA forum, there looks to be a nice PNA spike and another -NAO "blip" during the storm time frame. We obviously have had a +NAO winter but these transient -NAO's that we've had during storms has helped us out greatly.

The thing he got the most grief for.... and I suspect that he was probably the least to blame for.... was, on the Thursday evening before the storm was supposed to start (literally 3+ days later at that point), the station started running a scroll at the bottom of the TV screen during primetime about the "Storm of the Century" that was on the way and telling people to tune into the 11 pm news to find out details.  This was certainly mostly a sleazy ratings grab... remember this was when NBC dominated Thursday nights with its "Must See TV" horsecrap... so running a scroll like that would grab the attention of all those people watching Friends or whatever else was on NBC at that point.  I am sure Bolaris had some role in it (and, in fact, he has defended it, by pointing out that non-weenies don't habitually watch their local news and weather on weekends and he was afraid that, if they didn't get the word Thursday night, they might not be aware of what could be coming until it hit late Sunday and Monday) but, in the end, that scroll was the fault of the news director, station manager and/or whoever else makes those kinds of decisions at a local network not John Bolaris.  

looks just like how the march 1 system looked on the euro then poof!

March 1 NEVER had support from the GFS or really any other model....

EURO has gone west today, but before you all "panic", wait for the ensembles, it dumps most of the energy out west so a lot of the confluence is lost....Will only get worried if 00z shows it as well. 

GFS never had the weekend threat. NEver had anything close to the EURO bombs a few days back...This is a totally better setup and has way more support across the board. 

GFS never had the weekend threat. NEver had anything close to the EURO bombs a few days back...This is a totally better setup and has way more support across the board.

next week will be too warm, mark my words. A swfe in early march rarely pans out for this area. Weekend event still holds some promise for accumulating snow.

Archived