joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 3-5 Event

windvane

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed it is probably a long shot, but models are never perfect, the 6z run before the lions-eagles game, all of the models had like .1-.2 total precip for Philly, we know what happened....In my lifetime, I'd say 75% of the storms, there is always 2 good ticks north before a storm. I'm not talking about giant shifts or anything, but I think the first batch could over perform, and if we get that 2nd in to our area, enough to clip it, we could see 4-8" totals....Honestly, a week ago if someone told you we'd get 4-8" you'd lock that up in a heart beat ralphy.

Here hoping for a few ticks north! And 4-8" is not a bad call attm for extreme southern pa imo. Could still bust either way tho. That death band will likely be narrow like december 8 so we're gonna be nowcasting tomorrow and willing that band northward.

Here hoping for a few ticks north! And 4-8" is not a bad call attm for extreme southern pa imo. Could still bust either way tho. That death band will likely be narrow like december 8 so we're gonna be nowcasting tomorrow and willing that band northward.

Hell, the 18z runs before the 2nd part of the MECS were too far SE....things can change, we're right on the cusp. Are you still going to Cape May? 

Found this to be an odd headline in the Mt. Holly AFD:

LONG TERM /MONDAY THROUGH SATURDAY/...

**WINTER STORM WARNING SOUTH OF I78 AND ADVISORY ALONG I78 NORTH**

Clearly as per their county map, the warnings are only for counties well south of 78 (Mercer-Monmouth and south of there) and per the snowfall map, I-78 looks to be coincident with the 4" snowfall line, well below the 6" needed for warnings; plus, nowhere else in the AFD discusses snow that heavy near 78. Almost makes me wonder if they were going to include Hunterdon-Somerset-Middlesex (and the Lehigh Valley) in their warnings and then decided not to, at the last minute, but forgot to delete that text. I know sometimes the NWS guys post here - just wondering if anyone can elaborate on this.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=PHI&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=0&highlight=off

I think the current WWA for northern Bucks, Montco and the Lehigh Valley for 3 to 6 inches of snow for this event is solid.  Even with all of the south movement of the precip the past few days, I don't think this area ends up with less than 3 inches of snow.  Plus, it seems the south trend stopped overnight so it's also possible it could end up a bit north of current modeling.

As I thought last evening a very slight north jog in precip did occur with the Wxsim now up to 0.55" for NW Chesco.....as before I expect this to increase a bit more with the 12z runs but it would appear I will not be correct with it getting back to the 1" qpf mark. Clearly as the RUC shows this will need to be watched.

The gradient on this storm is incredible 20-30 miles could double or half your snow totals I wonder how many march snowstorms have happened where south of the m/d line does better than north. Im sure its happened before but with march climo I'd imagine its gotta be a pretty rare occurrence.

The gradient on this storm is incredible 20-30 miles could double or half your snow totals I wonder how many march snowstorms have happened where south of the m/d line does better than north. Im sure its happened before but with march climo I'd imagine its gotta be a pretty rare occurrence.

March 1980 comes to mind. And there was a Miller B in the late 90's (I think) that hit Balt/DC pretty good but missed us. But you're right, suppression in March isn't something I'm usually too worried about -- I'm more concerned with the r/s line at this time of year.

I'm thinking 3" is the over/under imby for this event.

March 1980 comes to mind. And there was a Miller B in the late 90's (I think) that hit Balt/DC pretty good but missed us. But you're right, suppression in March isn't something I'm usually too worried about -- I'm more concerned with the r/s line at this time of year.

I'm thinking 3" is the over/under imby for this event.

The models still support 6". Are you thinking that they are going to stop the northern progression and restart trending back south?

The models still support 6". Are you thinking that they are going to stop the northern progression and restart trending back south?

Yeah, there are still some models (including the latest Euro and it's ensembles) that are closer to 6" than 3" for central Montgomery County.  I think 3 to 6 inches sounds good, with a slight chance of a bit more.

Archived