joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter Thread - The SQL - February 21-31st

Deck Pic

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I check that site everyday hoping that one is spotted near me.  I'm heading to the beach in a couple weeks but I'm afraid the ones in Assateague will be gone by then.

I went to Assateague in Jan but didn't see it :( Was hoping to see one this year.

I was watching the birds at my deck feeders when all of them (about 8, plus 6-7 more below on the snow) all suddenly flew away as if something were coming after them. I looked toward the direction they saw whatever it was and saw a large white bird flying over the house. I went to the other side and saw it circle the area behind my house, swoop back, and they fly away again. the markings, body shape, size, and flight pattern were all those of a snowy owl. then I went woohoo!

thanks--I didn't know about that and I'll go and report it.

Awesome! Very jealous!

As of now you don't have any days added on to the end of the year do you?.

Right now we have one day added on to  the end of the school year I believe... but that was before we missed today... I think today is #9 and means another day is added on to the end of the school year

Today was the 10th snow day for Carroll County. They built in 5 for this year and they already made one of them up on the Tues. after President's Day. No decisions on what to do with the other 4 days as of yet. Too early to rule out another storm as well. Not to mention at least 6 or 7 2 hour delays. Probably another one tomorrow.

Like when will the 60s and stuff come back and stay?  Not for another two weeks I am afraid

I saw in the NE forum that today's Euro weeklies are cold for all 4 weeks with 2-3 degrees below normal; now that's for them up there and I don't know if we have those numbers, better, or worse. But, that's below average and the averages are rising fast so cold rain is equally as likely. CFS2 has us much below normal for the month. It's been pretty good this year, actually.

Some of y'all will never be happy with anything.

I was strongly expecting 12 inches of snow, but I ended up with about half of that.

Surprisingly, however, I feel very happy and extremely satisfied with the storm - and I think this is mostly due to the last 2 hours of absolutely gorgeous, fluffy snow puffs that were completely filling the air, and gently falling to the ground. Plus, it happened in the daytime. I have discovered that daylight makes a huge difference in my snow enjoyment. Also, I think this phenomena is what Bob Chill was trying to tell us last night - that a short period of really great daytime snow rates can have a much bigger impact on one's snow enjoyment than even a whole day of pixie dust can provide. He was saying that storms can be great even if it's only a few inches total.

The last two hours of this storm was so beautiful that I couldn't resist pulling a chair up into a corner of my second floor sunroom, opening the windows, and just letting the snow flutter around me. Most of the time, the snow was slowly floating straight down, so I could really get a good look at the clumps as they passed by. Sometimes I caught them in my hand for even closer inspection... Part of the time a breeze blew the snow in one window and then right out the adjacent window of the corner, and this was wondrous as the snow puffs fluttered in front of and above me as they passed in and out of the sunroom. I was experiencing the snow up close, while also sheltered in my comfy house. It was magical.

I really love snow...

I was strongly expecting 12 inches of snow, but I ended up with about half of that.

Surprisingly, however, I feel very happy and extremely satisfied with the storm - and I think this is mostly due to the last 2 hours of absolutely gorgeous, fluffy snow puffs that were completely filling the air, and gently falling to the ground. Plus, it happened in the daytime. I have discovered that daylight makes a huge difference in my snow enjoyment. Also, I think this phenomena is what Bob Chill was trying to tell us last night - that a short period of really great daytime snow rates can have a much bigger impact on one's snow enjoyment than even a whole day of pixie dust can provide. He was saying that storms can be great even if it's only a few inches total.

The last two hours of this storm was so beautiful that I couldn't resist pulling a chair up into a corner of my second floor sunroom, opening the windows, and just letting the snow flutter around me. Most of the time, the snow was slowly floating straight down, so I could really get a good look at the clumps as they passed by. Sometimes I caught them in my hand for even closer inspection... Part of the time a breeze blew the snow in one window and then right out the adjacent window of the corner, and this was wondrous as the snow puffs fluttered in front of and above me as they passed in and out of the sunroom. I was experiencing the snow up close, while also sheltered in my comfy house. It was magical.

I really love snow...

Beautiful!  Sounds really neat.  I loved this storm as well.  tonight's lows should be impressive.  I hope we get to single digits.

Archived