Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Pattern reload cold and snow discussion last week of February

Ginx snewx

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've noticed you get irritable when people don't specifically mention isolated hilltops in NE CT. Sometimes saying that you favor SE areas means just that, doesn't need much further clarification. And you could say that it will snow to the NW without suggesting everybody gets advisory amounts, otherwise people who don't follow closely or don't understand might actually believe that too.

CTBlizz was very irritable that I didn't put him in a winter storm watch for the ice storm in Dec 08. No tolland = busted event.

You didn't answer the question

I'll answer for him. He is well above average to date and his average year to date where he is is about 44-47" depending on elevation . I'm assuming his location in his handle is accurate as Amherst, NH....he also severely over-estimates his annual snowfall at 82" inches per year. It isn't even 70" per year there unless he lives on line up by Chestnut Hill. You generally need to go up and into the hills to the west of Amherst over 600 feet to crack 70" and solidly over 1,000 feet if you want to even approach 80".

I'll answer for him. He is well above average to date and his average year to date where he is is about 44-47" depending on elevation . I'm assuming his location in his handle is accurate as Amherst, NH....he also severely over-estimates his annual snowfall at 82" inches per year. It isn't even 70" per year there unless he lives on line up by Chestnut Hill. You generally need to go up and into the hills to the west of Amherst over 600 feet to crack 70" and solidly over 1,000 feet if you want to even approach 80".

I feel like you could substitute most poster, town, and snowfall numbers and you would see similar overestimates of backyard seasonal averages.

I feel like you could substitute most poster, town, and snowfall numbers and you would see similar overestimates of backyard seasonal averages.

If people only took the last decade or something, then maybe some of the numbers would be accurate. :lol:

But unfortunately it doesn't work that way. If you just started following snowfall closely within the last 10 years, then you probably don't really understand how good the going has been. 70" is a pretty big benchmark for annual snowfall in SNE...I'll include S NH in that. There aren't a whole lot of places that get that. Technically, even ORH airport at 1k feet doesn't do it if you even try and use the longterm average as they sit at 69"...up in the hills just north of them, the Berkshires and adjacent N litchfield hills, and the Monadnocks are really it. I don't think anywhere in SNE averages over 70" that is below about 700 or 800 feet....and even that elevation doesn't guarantee it. It gets easier up into your CWA, but still no lock in some areas.

Yeah, good call.  

The next town up, Mont Vernon (town center) probably averages low to mid 70's.  That's a weenie spot too near 800', drive through every day and it's not even close who gets more snow between the two.

If people only took the last decade or something, then maybe some of the numbers would be accurate. :lol:

But unfortunately it doesn't work that way. If you just started following snowfall closely within the last 10 years, then you probably don't really understand how good the going has been. 70" is a pretty big benchmark for annual snowfall in SNE...I'll include S NH in that. There aren't a whole lot of places that get that. Technically, even ORH airport at 1k feet doesn't do it if you even try and use the longterm average as they sit at 69"...up in the hills just north of them, the Berkshires and adjacent N litchfield hills, and the Monadnocks are really it. I don't think anywhere in SNE averages over 70" that is below about 700 or 800 feet....and even that elevation doesn't guarantee it. It gets easier up into your CWA, but still no lock in some areas.

I think our average is tainted somewhat here at the office. It's only been around since this good run of winters began. So our normal sits at just shy of 84". No doubt we do better than PWM, but I don't think it's 14" better. Case in point, GYX's March normal is higher than February mainly because of 2001 and 2005.

Euro looks pretty lame, a couple light event possibilities in the next 10 days.  Seems to be setting up for a big storm after D10 but we all know how that goes, going back to a couple nights ago.  La-la land.

I guess if you like a cold, boring March with a little snow and high heating bills, you'll like the Euro.

Archived