• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Pittsburgh/Western PA Banter & Complaint Thread

1 hour ago, Burghblizz said:

In some ways, it’s been less disappointing. But I do think we have a mini-rally and have a decent second half.

Who is your dealer because you sound like you are under the influence. I hope you're right though. I'm betting March 5-9 we will get our good storm since I'll be in Texas.

7 hours ago, Rd9108 said:

Who is your dealer because you sound like you are under the influence. I hope you're right though. I'm betting March 5-9 we will get our good storm since I'll be in Texas.

Not saying it’s shaping up to be great - but we are basically only at halftime in terms of expected snowfall. I know we start to deal with sun angle and short lived snow packs, but March averages as much snow as Dec.

So take an average second half we are up over 30”. Then it’s just a below average winter instead of a historically dreadful one. 

We just have to accept the fact that this just isn’t going to be our winter. If we get a lucky break and catch a storm or two that turns an abysmal winter into a just kinda crappy one, great. If not, then hopefully we can nickel and dime our way out of being historically bad.

• Sad 1

I'm annoyed, everybody is acting like it's the end of the world because of no snow. Saying things like next year is gonna be the same thing or we are gonna be in a stretch for the next 10 years of little snow. Meteorologists can't even accurately predict the winter season let alone the next few years. The west is getting the prolonged winter this year so why can't we develop a sustained pattern like that ever again? 

Rant over

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Rd9108 said:

I'm annoyed, everybody is acting like it's the end of the world because of no snow. Saying things like next year is gonna be the same thing or we are gonna be in a stretch for the next 10 years of little snow. Meteorologists can't even accurately predict the winter season let alone the next few years. The west is getting the prolonged winter this year so why can't we develop a sustained pattern like that ever again? 

Rant over

Exactly.  This isn't our year, we had a couple nice one's in a row.  We'll get back to better ones.  It's frustrating, but literally nothing we can do.

16 hours ago, Rd9108 said:

Rant over

I generally agree, Nina climo always favors a SE Ridge in Feb, this is the third year in a row for a Nina. I don't doubt warming climate / oceans hurt chances but to me this is just many different things constructively interfering with each other to produce a terrible pattern for snow in the East.

The caveat I will add to this though is it remains to be seen when / whether we reach a tipping point where the warmer oceans favor tropical forcing / ridge / trough configurations that make these conditions more likely during winter. Only way to know will be to live through it, if we get a favorable ENSO state and things still look like this well then maybe its time to re-think.

Went for a walk earlier and its wonderful. We can maybe make a run at 70? Just wish I wasn't at work so I could get some outdoor things done at home. :lol:

• 1 month later...

I’ll never understand looking forward to the stifling heat and humidity that awaits us in about 7 weeks, probably with tastes of it before then, and will likely last 4-5 months. If winter ever had as good a hold on us as summer does every single year, no one would ever have any lack of snow to complain about.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TimB said:

I’ll never understand looking forward to the stifling heat and humidity that awaits us in about 7 weeks, probably with tastes of it before then, and will likely last 4-5 months. If winter ever had as good a hold on us as summer does every single year, no one would ever have any lack of snow to complain about.

I like seasons, sue me.

1 hour ago, TimB said:

I like seasons too, but the season that seems to last the longest around here is objectively terrible.

To you, I guess.  To each their own.  I do agree humidity is terrible, but I do like heat.  We also could have different definition of what is considered too hot.

3 hours ago, TimB said:

For me it's just over this particular season.  The winter was dull; we only got to track maybe two total events.  Most were 10-day storms that disappeared after a couple model runs.  There wasn't much to get excited about.

Now I'd rather get some good golfing weather for the spring before the heat really sets in, rather than a continuation of fake winter.  It's nuisance cold, for the most part.  I'd prefer some temps between cold and hot, say 60s and low 70s with minimal humidity. 

Spring and Fall used to be good for that, haha.

• Like 1

I didn’t even complain this winter, because honestly there wasn’t even a last minute screw job where it rained and Youngstown got a foot. We didn’t even have a winter storm watch and I’m not sure we had more than two WWA’s.

as far as someone upthread was mentioning about summer. It’s sucks. If it was 85 with 40 degree dew points and we dipped into the 50-55 range at night it would be fantastic. We obviously aren’t high desert so I get incredibly tired of the endless cycle of 80-90, constant dew points 60 or higher, and not seeing a temp in the 50’s for July and august. We do not do dry heat at all here 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...