• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Pittsburgh/Western PA Banter & Complaint Thread

Just now, KPITSnow said:

Yeah I think we are done, and March snowstorms mainly struggle with sun angle issues and melt in a few days, so unless it is something crazy may as well head to spring.

It’s just unbelievable how quick the models turned a largely BN period into a largely AN period. If the EC is right, we’ll be back in the upper 40s by Monday, which all the other models suggest should be a cold day.

GFS appears to be the last domino to fall. Massive ridge develops mid to late next week in what was supposed to be a good cold pattern, bringing it into agreement with pretty much all the rest of the operational and ensemble models. Unbelievable.

Why is it that even when most indicators and teleconnections would support a cold pattern, the models can flip this fast and converge on the solution of a warm pattern? Is it climate change? Something else? It’s frustrating as hell how hard it is to get a good pattern these days.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PghPirates27 said:

I agree. Just like when there is a storm when it's close but we are on the rain side we get drenched but when it's cold enough for snow we get the dry slot lol. All I wanted this winter was 1 warning level event and we got that. Just stinks to waste a February. 

Meanwhile OKC has thunder, snow and sleet with a temperature of 11 and windchill of -7. 

https://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KOKC.html

Trusting OP models outside of 5 days is a waste of time. I'd say wait and see what they look like by early next week. Some ensembles had a spike negative in NAO. I wouldn't count out another quick hitting storm. We can do pretty well when the short waves shorten. Slowly though any signs of a sustained cold pattern seem to be disappearing. 

If winter ended today I'd have to give it a C-. Pretty lackluster minus the period in January.

1 hour ago, TimB said:

GFS appears to be the last domino to fall. Massive ridge develops mid to late next week in what was supposed to be a good cold pattern, bringing it into agreement with pretty much all the rest of the operational and ensemble models. Unbelievable.

Why is it that even when most indicators and teleconnections would support a cold pattern, the models can flip this fast and converge on the solution of a warm pattern? Is it climate change? Something else? It’s frustrating as hell how hard it is to get a good pattern these days.

It's basically a gradient pattern and this kind of look is not uncommon in Ninas.  You'll probably want to be significantly north of 40N to have a shot.

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in the climate change deal affecting us. I grew up in the 70's and I remember some really good winters and then some really bad ones in the 80's. Then the 90's had some good ones. But also for every good one there is a downer winter. For every 60+ snowfall winter there will also be a -30 snowfall winter. I myself like thunderstorms too so I deal with the summer changes as well. I remember last year we did not have a thunderstorm before mid June which is rare. Then the second half of the summer we had many so you can only hope we have a decent one. I think as I get older I deal with it better. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, north pgh said:

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in the climate change deal affecting us. I grew up in the 70's and I remember some really good winters and then some really bad ones in the 80's. Then the 90's had some good ones. But also for every good one there is a downer winter. For every 60+ snowfall winter there will also be a -30 snowfall winter. I myself like thunderstorms too so I deal with the summer changes as well. I remember last year we did not have a thunderstorm before mid June which is rare. Then the second half of the summer we had many so you can only hope we have a decent one. I think as I get older I deal with it better. 

Yeah, last spring without thunderstorms was weird, then we go and get more tornadoes in October than in all of the previous Octobers combined.

21 minutes ago, north pgh said:

Last summer started to piss me off. I love thunderstorms but for some reason they only wanted to show up on Wednesdays (golf league day). 

1 hour ago, PghPirates27 said:

I agree. Just like when there is a storm when it's close but we are on the rain side we get drenched but when it's cold enough for snow we get the dry slot lol. All I wanted this winter was 1 warning level event and we got that. Just stinks to waste a February. 

It wasn’t even warning level for a lot of us.

2 hours ago, KPITSnow said:

Lol. Ok. 

if that storm happened in an above average winter it would have been fine, but the fact it is our best storm this year sucks.

A 9” storm is good in any season.  We don’t live in the snow belt or the East Cost where 12”+ are common.  Anything over 6” is always a victory here.