• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Pittsburgh/Western PA Banter & Complaint Thread

Long-range models can't decipher a good pattern to save their life, but as soon as a bad one appears: lock it in!

You'd think I'd have learned by now that if the Euro shows a bad result, that's the outcome 90% of the time.

(Also, if it shows a good result, that only works out 10% of the time).

What's confirmation bias?

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2019 at 11:30 PM, MikeB_01 said:

Way late on this one, but at least with that we had an epic 2nd half of the winter. Recently when we get screwed over we follow it up with nothing. 

we haven’t even had storms to track this year outside of fantasy storms 2 weeks out 

26 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Way late on this one, but at least with that we had an epic 2nd half of the winter. Recently when we get screwed over we follow it up with nothing. 

we haven’t even had storms to track this year outside of fantasy storms 2 weeks out 

For 2009, even I got screwed a tad on that one being in the Philly suburbs.  Philly measured 23" and I got 12" - that entire winter was full of tight gradient snow storms.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I hate this area for storms. We rarely every get a last minute model trend that helps and it usually goes opposite. We always end up on the cutoffs whether that is snow gradient or right between ice/rain/snow. Then you go 75 miles north and they are getting 10 inches while we get 33 and rain.

what an awful spot from a climo perspective. Even our good December storm part year 100 MILES NE got 30 inches. Our “good” storm this year was a complete bust. 

• Haha 2

Dear God, I just skimmed through this whole thread to catch up. Literally nothing changes, it’s @KPITSnowcomplaining about busts and (you can’t make this stuff up!) the same upstate NY guy that was throwing around snow maps in our wx thread today was bragging about how much snow he got on 1/19/19 a couple pages back in this thread.

• Haha 5
  • Weenie 1

Just now, KPITSnow said:

You have no room to talk. You made a post on this thread three years ago that "I'm never posting on this account again."

It's the complaint thread boss man and I've stopped getting so attached to every single storm. You should learn how.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

These five quotes about the MLK storm being a bust were over like four pages and one day(!), then I got tired of looking.

I’ll move this discussion here, but let’s just say prior to the MLK storm he had used the word “bust” in 8 posts spanning 8 years. Since the MLK storm, he’s used the word in 24 posts spanning less than 3 weeks.

4 hours ago, TimB84 said:

I’ll move this discussion here, but let’s just say prior to the MLK storm he had used the word “bust” in 8 posts spanning 8 years. Since the MLK storm, he’s used the word in 24 posts spanning less than 3 weeks.

It’s because everyone insisted on saying a storm that was forecasted to drop 12 inches and not have major p type issues had major p type issues, and dry slotted for 6 hours, and for most of the county didn’t hit warning level.

it also doesn’t help that I posted a snow map showing it’s from the NWS and was told the map was wrong. 

edit: also, I have people screaming at me saying this storm was a bust. I didn’t. And for the love of god if I call MLK a bust I have no clue why it causes such a meltdown on here.

8 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

It’s because everyone insisted on saying a storm that was forecasted to drop 12 inches and not have major p type issues had major p type issues, and dry slotted for 6 hours, and for most of the county didn’t hit warning level.

it also doesn’t help that I posted a snow map showing it’s from the NWS and was told the map was wrong. 

edit: also, I have people screaming at me saying this storm was a bust. I didn’t. And for the love of god if I call MLK a bust I have no clue why it causes such a meltdown on here.

No one but you insisted it would drop 12”.  Every forecaster said between 5/9” and 8-12”.  That’s where we were.  Please accept that.  They are facts.

If you believe that models are the be all end all you will be perpetually disappointed, and it appears that’s what you do.