• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Pittsburgh/Western PA Banter & Complaint Thread

Steelers are sucking right now so I'm going to rant about PennDOT.   The state roads are still crap around here, even major intersections like 19 & 228 with packed snow that turned into glare ice.  No signs they were treated.  You would think they would put some grit like sand mixed in with calcium chloride on it.  We saw a PennDOT truck plowing the berm at this intersection last evening with its wing plow throwing more snow back on the road than he was clearing and not treating behind.  Meanwhile Township roads and streets are pretty clear.  They plowed well and salted early yesterday so the sun and traffic could bust up the hard pack.  The state raised our gasoline tax to the highest in the country and they still can't maintain our roads.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jwilson said:

I don't mind transient warmth in winter so much, say a day or two in between pattern flexes.  I'm not a huge fan, however, of two to three weeks of the doldrums.  Maybe we have once chance as the "new" pattern shuffles, but it doesn't look all that promising right now.

It’s been a long time since we’ve had a US 119 special. 

Hopefully this will be the year. 

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Lol

I will say I expected more from this winter to this point. Still has time to redeemed itself and a favorable outcome this weekend would be a good start. 

We're well below normal so far (if we finish that way, it would make 3 of the last 4 winters).

I agree that expectations for this winter were high.  Things looked to align, but at this point, we're going to need a backloaded winter.  The blocking that I think we require continues to be two weeks away in the long-term.  Maybe by February it will actually coalesce.  I'm hoping we don't revert to a bad pacific pattern or lose our moisture conveyor if the blocking comes together, but that's always possible.

When I said early in the week that I knew the WTOD was going to take over like it always does and screw us, especially south of Pittsburgh, that's when I should've just walked away and not looked at any model runs the rest of the week. The hobby sucks you in and teases you until you end up with just what you thought you'd end up with based on a long history of this always happening.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Just now, CoraopolisWx said:

Good day to get out and run some errands, because it appears the radar is gonna be ugly.

The GFS/GFS-FV3 was insistent on a shutout, and so far it's verifying. SMH

That and most stores will be empty from a people perspective. I think everyone blitzed the grocery stores last night and early morning. 

This was an especially tough one for me after how much time we spent in good snows on the models. I remember last Friday was the first hint at a huge storm and we were on the northern edge with a foot plus on the euro. I think more than anything this makes me appreciate how rare feb 2010 was. Literally it seems like the only time we can get crushed is if it is modeled well south and we get a slow shift north. 

I’m still hopeful for the rest of the winter so I won’t let this spoil our next threat. Part of the fun for me is watching the models give us snow. I know a lot of our posters are frustrated but our next big one will eventually happen. 

46 minutes ago, CoraopolisWx said:

Kinda funny reading some of the posts from the Upstate NY Folks bashing the kuchera maps for showing 2', but they only got 15-18". :rolleyes::lol:

Add them to my list of folks that I don’t want to see get another storm...didn’t they get a huge blizzard last year too? 

The more these rain storms occur, the more I think this just isn't our winter.  It was 0F last night and is close to 50F today.  The atmosphere wants to rain here and that's it, as evidenced by our wettest year on record.

This is a harsh pattern we've been set in since mid-2018 probably.  If we're lucky, we'll dry out just in time for next winter.