• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Pittsburgh/Western PA Banter & Complaint Thread

• 10 months later...

http://www.wpxi.com/weather/chief-meteorologist-stephen-croppers-winter-weather-forecast/464949044

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016/10/27/chief-meteorologist-jeff-verszylas-2016-17-winter-weather-forecast/

Wtae was similar to kdka.

It's still early, but for the second year in a row the warmer less snowy forecast is leading the way.

Although Cropper waiting until 2/3 of November was over, and still including it in his forecast is weak sauce.

I'd honestly rather see the southeast get a nice snow over the midatlantic and be fringed. How often do they get to enjoy snow. Our time will come. Could be soon or could be next year. I'm tired of getting worked up over digital snow. Ever since 2010 when I started to chase snow I've been let down but one day we will get another storm. 

• Like 1

On 12/27/2016 at 7:18 PM, Mailman said:

I had 19" on the ground at one time here within the last 12 months.  I'm not going to complain (well, at least try not to) for a little while.

You referring to the blizzard last year? I got like 4-5 inches out of that, just missed the good stuff. So I'll reserve the right to cry and moan about frozen water (or lack there of) falling from the sky and laying in my yard. :lol:

Sorry guys for bringing the storm south with me (got back to Newport News this afternoon). It's gonna be epic. I really think Pittsburgh winters kinda suck. After a couple little snowfalls they start to get depressing because they happen so often. The big ones are really what make me love snow. Might as well live somewhere in the Mid Atlantic where its sunny sometimes.

Sorry guys for bringing the storm south with me (got back to Newport News this afternoon). It's gonna be epic. I really think Pittsburgh winters kinda suck. After a couple little snowfalls they start to get depressing because they happen so often. The big ones are really what make me love snow. Might as well live somewhere in the Mid Atlantic where its sunny sometimes.

Yeah, I'm the same way. I'm sick of the nickel and dime snows we get in Pittsburgh while almost always missing the big storms. The people closest to the coast cash in a lot more on the big snowstorms than we ever will. They get a lot less snow overall for a winter season than we do, but that's just because all of our nickel and dimers add up little by little. I'd rather get one huge storm and see nothing the rest of the winter. Nuisance snows don't do much for me. They're just a nuisance and end up leave you wanting more.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Another cutter day 10 on the Euro. Watch once the cold comes in it will be suppression depression. I demand a refund from wxbell for this ****ty pattern. There was a robin out the other day, poor little guy is gonna die once this epic, cripplin, record breaking cold arrives (typical JB hyping up cold to sell subscriptions). 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TeaysValleyWV said:

I'm sticking a fork in it.  Not even looking at the model runs.   Maybe that will change our luck.

I was planning to go up to camp in Potter County next week to see some snow, now a torch and rain storm will probably wash it away before I get there.

I just had a trip up to Bradford and back today. Hit some nice squalls north of I-80 this afternoon. Bradford has about 6 inches on the ground. Just north of Clarion around Marienville they have close to a foot up through the Allegheny Forest. I guess that's where you need to be to get the snow this year and probably every year.

2 hours ago, north pgh said:

I just had a trip up to Bradford and back today. Hit some nice squalls north of I-80 this afternoon. Bradford has about 6 inches on the ground. Just north of Clarion around Marienville they have close to a foot up through the Allegheny Forest. I guess that's where you need to be to get the snow this year and probably every year.

I'd love to live there when you can count on LES almost every year...

4 hours ago, TeaysValleyWV said:

I'm sticking a fork in it.  Not even looking at the model runs.   Maybe that will change our luck.

I was planning to go up to camp in Potter County next week to see some snow, now a torch and rain storm will probably wash it away before I get there.

This winter is so depressing I can't even go into the New England forum and live vicariously through them...

Honestly I love tracking storms during the winter (even though I hate snow) and talking about the long range up until about the end of January. It's both exiting and addicting, and it's just so enjoyable to pour over all the data and to read all the different viewpoints on it. This time of the year though, I get so sick of the hype, wishcasting, and foul / snarky attitudes of people on the internet when things don't go their way that I could puke. It's the same thing every February and March: Winter's never gonna end, every Nor'easter that pops up on one model run is gonna be a February 2010 redux, and every piece of energy that picks up moisture out of the Gulf in March is gonna be 1993 again. Then of course they've got JB in their corner to hype cold and snow until a week after I open my pool.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

If anyone is interested in an NFL pick-em league we have two leagues which members on this board can participate in.  One of the leagues is free and has been an ongoing tradition of Eastern/American Wx for at least 10 years now.  This league is done directly through this forum in the sports thread.  

The second league is entering its third season here on the boards and is a pay-league.  He platform we've used in the past is yahoo, however, a different platform may be used this year.  

If you have any interest in participating in one or both of the leagues check out the following thread.  The more participants, the more fun the league, and for the pay league, the more potential winnings!

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/50203-nfl-pick-em-2017-2018/#comment-4596041

• 3 months later...