SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 19 Minor Event. Obs Banter. Models.

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it was really close, but still had a thin layer above freezing....but big omega in the snowgrowth region can produce a ton of dendrites that really contirubte to latent cooling. That was clearly a big factor today. Even this morning, I liked the idea of the latent cooling, but thought it would mostly cause enough for a coating to an inch or something and not a 2 hour paste bomb that drops 2-3 inches....but hey, when its that close, that will happen sometimes.

Yeah I agree absolutely. I guess what I noticed was that 925 cooled to 0C there or right at the NH border so BOX had good reasoning if you take that into consideration. I also noticed on the GFS critical thicknesses cooled big time from yeaterday. But I agree....this event surprised me, especially south and east of the nrn ORH hills.

Yep. In that winter of discontent up this way, the 1.5" whitewash stands out.  Never seen it come down that hard I don't think.  Maybe honorable mention to 4/1/97 living in Lexington.

I had a bit over 3 inches in 40 minutes in that one with at least 3 different cracks of thunder. That was the best windex event I've been in.

Not the heaviest snow though since even that 3.4" in 40 minutes can't match nearly 7 inches in one hour from 12/23/97...but that was definitely up there.

I had a bit over 3 inches in 40 minutes in that one with at least 3 different cracks of thunder. That was the best windex event I've been in.

Not the heaviest snow though since even that 3.4" in 40 minutes can't match nearly 7 inches in one hour from 12/23/97...but that was definitely up there.

That's just so absurd.  I'll have to go back and see if that event has been analyzed anywhere on here already so as to not take this too far off topic.   The windex event I have in my mind 1.5" in 15 mins which is close as far as rates go, but it was in and out.

Archived