• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 15 Clipper Obs

HoarfrostHubb

I like messenger but the reason he gets drilled is the style of hitting yu over the head with evidence every 13 seconds. I think it annoys a lot of folks. Point counterpoint. Each side should let it go. Scooter put it succinctly in the statement "we'll agree to disagree". So I think people often bring stuff upon themselves by their style fair or not.

Like I said, I've known messenger for over 10 years, am one of the few who have met him face to face..good guy. But online everyone has a certain persona.

I like messenger but the reason he gets drilled is the style of hitting yu over the head with evidence every 13 seconds. I think it annoys a lot of folks. Point counterpoint. Each side should let it go. Scooter put it succinctly in the statement "we'll agree to disagree". So I think people often bring stuff upon themselves by their style fair or not.

Like I said, I've known messenger for over 10 years, am one of the few who have met him face to face..good guy. But online everyone has a certain persona.

I get that, but I also think that its annoying when folks ignore blatant trends.

I see both sides of...he probably should just present the evidence and drop it, but I can sympathize with the notion that that can be tough.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Online communication is as much as an artform as public communication but it is still young. Some do it better than others and intended points are often lost in the shuffle. Perfect example is sarcasm, doesn't translate online at all.

lol, nice response.

I guess I could see the not measuring as taking some of the "mine's bigger than yours" stress and crap out of a storm.  Worrying because you're 0.7" behind your neighbor or whatever.  Usually can enjoy it more when its snowing if you just watch it snow without worrying about where you are at right now for totals and what the forecast has and will you get there, will you be in a screw zone, etc. 

Its not all about the comparisons, either...I like to keep meticulous, accurate records.

I'm a lurker but know exactly what you mean....such a wide range of personalities....Kev, Scooter, you, James, messenger, 40/70, Ryan...etc.....good mix in here!

As weird as it is too say this, Bouchard will probably be closest to verifying correctly here. Small area of 12-18 around the canal, 8-12 for the rest of southeast ma.

He was emphasizing low totals to the west of boston when he was on two hours ago. Harvey may go down in flames west of boston.

8-12 is going to verify for pretty much all of southeast ma, with most places already at around 6"

Its more that people just don't like being reminded that it won't be snowing as hard in their backyard as they were hoping.  Its no different than if SNE was looking to get clocked, and then it shifts into NNE...or if we up here are looking to get clocked, but then it goes south and people are high-fiving and there's 15 comments about hanging from chairlifts, lol.  Lets call it what it is, we all love snow and see too many fantasy runs that we really believe it.  If the rug gets pulled out from under you, most don't want to hear about it over and over.  Be it someone in western NE saying its moving west, or someone in far SE saying its moving east.  

It can be perfectly valid analysis...to me, this storm was never a player at all up here so I had no investment and was just browsing to see what was happening.  I thought Messenger's analysis has been quite excellent this evening.  He knows what he's talking about and can pick up on these trends.  Had I been on the line of getting potentially more significant snow and watched it slip east, it may have annoyed the heck out of me, lol.  But remove the emotional piece and its still just nowcast analysis that happened to be correct.

In short, we are all too emotionally involved as Tippy would say, lol. 

Its not all about the comparisons, either...I like to keep meticulous, accurate records.

Oh yeah, I do too.  I love knowing exactly how much fell, haha.  I'm out there checking every couple hours.  But I could see how one could certainly just enjoy a storm by watching it snow and not overly focusing on the amounts. 

When I read pages full of "west trend" "Wagons west"  "trend this winter" "gfs is leading the way" etc...when all it really was, was the rest of the models coming towards this centerline around I95 and the crazy GFS going too far west like every other storm before correcting east while never understanding the banding as is most often the case. 

The problem is as Ray says I'm objective and I'm not concerned or consumed by what happens in his back yard as evidenced by me not running around telling everyone how much snow I have.  When 15 people are saying it's going west and one (there were a few others but they gave up) try to point out that it may not be what it appears.....I don't care if it snows in my yard or the implications of a trend on the amount of snow I may have.   I know for a fact there were pros that felt the way I did, but most don't care to go through being called a Debbie for pointing it out so they either don't say anything, stop posting, or

There are very few times I put a stake in the ground now and stand behind it, this was one of them.  Most of the time I don't even bother.

The ticks were significant as was the apparent overall trend.  The proof in that is the bust today and tonight of the vast majority of forecasts.  The ticks continued past 18z, this ended up squeezing out further S&E despite all the talk of convective issues pulling it closer.

Take a look at the 0z Ruc vs the 18z RUC 9 hour position.  Take a look at the NAM.

I got smoked for saying the RGEM may not have had a terrible idea...0z NAM and 0z RUC would agree it may not have been perfect but keeping the heaviest offshore was the right idea.

Archived