• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter II

jburns

Whatever is going to happen will happen. It doesn't matter if there is a thread now or later on. Might as well have one since it's about a week out and the threat is there.

The point being... the pattern is favorable... Not game set. You haven't even been around to know whats going on.  Even if you were still walking around in the dark like a blind person bc you dont look at models. Just bc you come in here see a euro map that show snow for raleigh doesn't mean its going to happen. The 12z is different from 0z. Just like the gfs. IMO you're way too gun ho on starting a thread where the possibility still may not exist.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just gonna remind you guys. The euro gave me 16.5 inches of virtual snow 12 hours before start time of the last storm. I only got 7, which I was perfectly happy with. But I think as we watch the models this week nobody should get caught up in exact details. Meteorology is an inexact science, no model, no matter how well it performs on a broad scale can determine correctly exact amounts on a local level.

The point being... the pattern is favorable... Not game set. You haven't even been around to know whats going on.  Even if you were still walking around in the dark like a blind person bc you dont look at models. Just bc you come in here see a euro map that show snow for raleigh doesn't mean its going to happen. The 12z is different from 0z. Just like the gfs. IMO you're way too gun ho on starting a thread where the possibility still may not exist.

Maybe. But not sure what the harm is. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen.

Anyone know a location I can find out more about the Feb 24th 1989 storm that hit at least eastern NC, we had quite a bit here in Greenville and I seem to recall the NE corner of the state getting like 12-18", we had to have had 8-12" here but I cant seem to find anything about it anywhere....found some old pictures of it that I have to get scanned in but it snowed enough to fill 3 ft deep ditches to the point you couldnt see them.

Then in Dec that year we had Dec 23rd 1989 hit so Jan 1 to Dec 31 is prolly the snowiest calender year we have ever had here. Surprised RAH doesnt have it on their past events page.

I don't get the point of rushing to start a thread...it's not like you predicted the storm or anything, so why is it a contest? I don't think I've ever started a storm thread, actually I'll go on record that I haven't and I don't plan to ever do so. Just don't see the attraction?

Anyone know a location I can find out more about the Feb 24th 1989 storm that hit at least eastern NC, we had quite a bit here in Greenville and I seem to recall the NE corner of the state getting like 12-18", we had to have had 8-12" here but I cant seem to find anything about it anywhere....found some old pictures of it that I have to get scanned in but it snowed enough to fill 3 ft deep ditches to the point you couldnt see them.

Then in Dec that year we had Dec 23rd 1989 hit so Jan 1 to Dec 31 is prolly the snowiest calender year we have ever had here. Surprised RAH doesnt have it on their past events page.

I've been looking for that particular storm, as well.  Several years ago, I mistakenly found a link to that particular storm. 

I haven't been able to find anything on it during the few times I've actually looked for it.

Umm this storm is not up there, which sucks I have looked lots of places all i have ever seen is a mention on a "in this day in weather" that said Duck had 70 mph winds and Gates county had 18" but thats it.

Oh Im not sure what to tell you. Thats usually the first place I look for NC.

This I found for Dec. but still coming up empty for Feb

http://www.weather.gov/mhx/Dec231989EventReview

Oh Im not sure what to tell you. Thats usually the first place I look for NC.

This I found for Dec. but still coming up empty for Feb

http://www.weather.gov/mhx/Dec231989EventReview

I got that site bookmarked trust me I use it all the time, Feb 24th 1989 was a monster, I was 17 and there was no interent etc so all I can really go on is MBY but we got hammered I know my dad said he measured a little over a foot here but apparently this was a wide reaching event.

No details, but here is confirmation of major winter storms during February 1989 in SE VA from NWS Sterling. I'm sure that translates into E NC. Interesting.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/lwx/Historic_Events/va-winters.htm

February 1989: This was a month of big swings in the weather for Southeast Virginia. Twice, Norfolk saw record high temperatures in the mid 70�s followed by a significant snowfall. The two storms that struck dumped a record 24.4 inches of snow at Norfolk. Over 14 inches occurred during one 24 hour period. It was the most snow to occur in one month in southeast Virginia in the last 100 years.

No details, but here is confirmation of major winter storms during February 1989 in SE VA from NWS Sterling. I'm sure that translates into E NC. Interesting.

February 1989: This was a month of big swings in the weather for Southeast Virginia. Twice, Norfolk saw record high temperatures in the mid 70�s followed by a significant snowfall. The two storms that struck dumped a record 24.4 inches of snow at Norfolk. Over 14 inches occurred during one 24 hour period. It was the most snow to occur in one month in southeast Virginia in the last 100 years.

There was a huge storm in late Feb.  I remember it b/c I was in grad school in east central TX at the time and we had a monster ice storm  - the only time I saw freezing precip in 5 years there.  And if you think folks in Atlanta (or anywhere else in the SE) don't know what to do when it's slick, you ain't seen nothin' until you've seen Texans when the temp drops below 32.  After it left Texas it went up the east coast and I remember being very jealous that I missed a huge snowstorm at home in NC....I think I remember my grandmother in W-S telling me it was up to her knees!

Yeah it was a crazy week I think on Monday we had severe storms with even tornado warnings in eastern NC then maybe a ice storm wed or thur and then a full on snowstorm Friday into Saturday......like I said I cant recall exactly but that seems like how it went down that week. I know the big snow was a Friday or Saturday though.

For some reason, there's not a lot published on that storm.  There was accumulating snow with that one over most of NC/SC, and parts of GA.  Charleston and Savannah had an inch or so...and as you mentioned, NE NC was hit the hardest up through Atlantic City, MD.  There is a paper that had a snow totals map for that one...I'm trying to find it

And the Euro ensemble mean looks piss poor compared to the OP. LOL

Not good, but the the op picked up our last storm before the EPS (it showed the storm with little ensemble support for a few runs). FWIW...

The EPS mean is pretty atrocious, though.  The mean IMBY is about 0.25" SN (maybe...) and there's not a single member that shows as much snow as the op.

It will probably be gone at 00z on the op, but we shall see.

Archived