Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2/13-2/14/2014 2nd Half Major Coastal Storm Discusson/Observations

Rib

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally tapering off a bit. Crazy last few hours

Amen to that...  By the time I went out, I couldn't distinguish old snow from new but looked like perhaps a new 8 inches or more from round 2 (don't hold me to that, just estimated from the second attempt to clear my car off).  Fantastic storm despite the changeover earlier.

Finally!  Snowing moderately in Metuchen over the last 20 minutes and a quick 1/4" of new snow is on the ground, whitening up everything, including the streets.  Just walked around and it is very slick, as there was still slush on our road and it's starting to freeze, as the temp is 31F.  I was almost ready to give up and go to sleep.  Radar has filled in nicely.  Hopefully I can at least get the low end of the 2-6" NWS forecast for overnight. 

I really wish I knew how much new snow Lionville had with the second round. It has been heavy snow since 10pm and it was definitely >1" /hr. Looks to taper off here soon unless another band forms (sort of looks a light snow band might be forming by Hershey)

This storm was just incredible. The total snow depth IMBY reminds me of 2010

Finally!  Snowing moderately in Metuchen over the last 20 minutes and a quick 1/4" of new snow is on the ground, whitening up everything, including the streets.  Just walked around and it is very slick, as there was still slush on our road and it's starting to freeze, as the temp is 31F.  I was almost ready to give up and go to sleep.  Radar has filled in nicely.  Hopefully I can at least get the low end of the 2-6" NWS forecast for overnight. 

Wow, quickly up to 1.25" of new snow - got 1" in the last ~30 minutes - been snowing heavily (<1/4 mile visibility) most of the last 30 minutes.  Doesn't look like it'll last too much longer at this rate, but with at least one more good band off to the west, I'm liking our chances of at least getting to 2" for this round - something about a 12" overall snowfall sounds nice. 

I just measured 7.5" for part 2 as snow was winding down.  Storm total 17.5", unless I screwed up part 1 with with too much compaction before measuring.  Either way this was the #6 storm that I've had a chance to witness in this area since the early 80's.  (not sure what we got in 1977-78, or in PD1 I was only 6 years old and didn't measure) 

Took a little nap late this afternoon which became a long one (after being up last night and shoveling today) so I missed the buildup and first part of the evening's festivities, but woke up around 11 pm to see it snowing quite nicely. Went out to shovel some more and got that last band passing through while outside. Nice.

Total from round 2 = 2.8" (2.5" of snow on top of 0.3" of sleet/slush).

Makes the storm total 15.0".

Even with the rain today, what an awesome storm. It looks like a dreamscape outside.

The moon is just about full, and I took this picture around 4 am, doesn't do the atmosphere justice with the low light and graininess, but here it is:

post-9898-0-41043200-1392374019_thumb.jp

Wow, quickly up to 1.25" of new snow - got 1" in the last ~30 minutes - been snowing heavily (<1/4 mile visibility) most of the last 30 minutes.  Doesn't look like it'll last too much longer at this rate, but with at least one more good band off to the west, I'm liking our chances of at least getting to 2" for this round - something about a 12" overall snowfall sounds nice. 

Ended up with 3" of new snow from part 2 of the storm, bringing the storm total up to 13" here in Metuchen.  Nice!  Have to say that part 2 is gorgeous, as the snow has stuck to every surface, making for a spectacular landscape. Brings me to 55" (edit - original post said 53.5" - had an error) for the season, with hopefully a few more to come on Saturday. 

As it happens my worries were partly justified (about reaching my 2-4" forecast for last night)... just barely 2" in Ewing from round 2.  Added together with round 1, the storm total comes to 10".

Your pre storm forecast of 6 to 12 was pretty good in the end. Funny how that works out, sometimes the details of how we get there are a little different from what we envision, even if the overall outcome is in the ballpark.

Archived