• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 11-13 Winter storm totals!

strongwxnc

Here in Dunwoody, it was similar to Marietta. Here are my estimates based on a total liquid equivalent of ~1":

2.5" sleet

1.5" snow

0.10" ice

0.15" rain

I'm going to consider this a major sleet/snow combination producer for north metro Atlanta (though not for KATL, where they apparently got a good bit less IP and more ZR), but also a major icestorm in my records for KATL and the first major ATL icestorm since 12/05 based mainly on the ZR the south metro got. Fwiw, note that this major icestorm occurred during the most favored ENSO phase for them by far per history, neutral negative. For my ZR storm records, I'm going with the wedging high being 1036 mb in the NE US and calling the associated low a Miller A.

It was hard to determine snow vs sleet at times. I really believe some of what fell was more of a sleet/snow hybrid. They fell in long diamond like patterns for some of the storm. It stacked like snow but was very dense despite the crystal structure. Anyways a 4" snow sleet total was about right for me regardless of how it's split. As for ice accumulation I could be way off but there were long periods of drizzle aland even rain with a tamp of about 30.5.

It was hard to determine snow vs sleet at times. I really believe some of what fell was more of a sleet/snow hybrid. They fell in long diamond like patterns for some of the storm. It stacked like snow but was very dense despite the crystal structure. Anyways a 4" snow sleet total was about right for me regardless of how it's split. As for ice accumulation I could be way off but there were long periods of drizzle aland even rain with a tamp of about 30.5.

Interesting. I don't recall seeing the long diamondlike structures in Dunwoody. When some were saying it looked like snow in other areas not too far away, I looked more carefully and pretty much still only saw the bouncy BB's of ice, even when small.

Where/how do you think it stacks up from an historical perspective? Top 5, 10, 20? Thanks.

ATL records go back to the late 1800's.

1. I consider the icestorm part of this to very likely be at least a top 20 for south metro ATL. Top 15 there? Possible. For north metro, I wouldn't put the icestorm even close to the top 30 since so much more was IP than was the case south. Many of us got only 0.10-0.20" of ice. Whereas that isn't anything to sneeze at, it may very well be only about a top 75 event or so in the northern burbs though it could very well be more like top 60 or so.

2. Regarding the IP portion (~2-3"), it is very likely a top 10 for the northern burbs and it is the highest since 1/1988. There didn't seem to be much IP down south

3. The snow was significant, but it wasn't major

4. Total liquid that fell as wintry: I estimate it averaged ~0.75" for the ATL area. That likely is a top 50.

6" snow yesterday in North Raleigh. About 1" sleet and .10 of freezing rain. Today we got 3/4" of snow. The storm REALLY overperformed here so we are thrilled.

Also in North Raleigh (right near the Falls Lake Dam), we got 3.5 of snow yesterday, 1 inch of sleet, .10-.15 zr, and no accumulation of snow today (although it snowed around 1/2 inch).

I wonder why we got so much less snow than you?

One more question, sorry to bother you, and thanks for the info. I can't remember the last time Atlanta had two major impact winter storms in the same season let alone in less than a months time can you?

In my opinion, you have to go back to Jan. of 2000 for the last time there were two really major impact storms in the ATL area so close together. Then there were two major icestorms only one week apart during consecutive weekends, with the 2nd one during the Super Bowl weekend when it was in Atlanta. Before that, I think you have to go back to Feb. of 1979, when there was a major icestorm followed by a major sleet less than two weeks later.

Based on my data, I roughly estimate that double major impact storm winters occur about once every 10 years at ATL. I even found at least one winter with triple major impacts! Those were all within one month's time!!

4.5 inches of snowfall yesterday before changing to sleet.

1-2 inches of sleet overnight, but it's really hard to measure that.

1-2 inches of additional snowfall today under the ULL.

Grand total compacted amounted to ~6 inches in the grass, on average, and 5+ inches on the deck.

I'm going with 6 inches of snowfall and 1.5 inches of sleet for my final totals.

Also in North Raleigh (right near the Falls Lake Dam), we got 3.5 of snow yesterday, 1 inch of sleet, .10-.15 zr, and no accumulation of snow today (although it snowed around 1/2 inch).

I wonder why we got so much less snow than you?

I'm not sure!  Both my husband and I measured it though so I could post an accurate measurement.  I'm pretty close to Brick I think and I'm pretty sure he got almost the same amount.  We are about two miles from the Durham County line so maybe that helped some.  I might have been a little off today because it was hard with the sleet but we most definitely got 6" yesterday.

Based on my data, I roughly estimate that double major impact storm winters occur about once every 10 years at ATL. I even found at least one winter with triple major impacts! Those were all within one month's time!!

Thanks for sharing your insights, fascinating. Clearly my memory is not good. :)

The airport reports 8" SN/IP, so I'll go with that for my final total.  This just beats out January 29-30, 2010 in accumulations, though this one will have less staying power.

That puts me just above average in snowfall for the winter, so that's nice.

Im about 5 miles from GSo and that's exacty what I got.  I had some 9" readings in the yard, but it averaged 8"

In my opinion, you have to go back to Jan. of 2000 for the last time there were two really major impact storms in the ATL area so close together. Then there were two major icestorms only one week apart during consecutive weekends, with the 2nd one during the Super Bowl weekend when it was in Atlanta. Before that, I think you have to go back to Feb. of 1979, when there was a major icestorm followed by a major sleet less than two weeks later.

Great data, Larry! I guess the interpretation of the word "major" comes into play, but I think the Christmas snow of 2010 plus the January 2011 storm a little over 2 weeks later might be up for consideration. The Christmas night snow was enough to shut down all churches the following morning and dropped 1.5 - 2.5" across the area. I think it also disrupted Christmas travel at Hartsfield in a major way for 24-48 hours. Of course the 4-8" we got on Jan 10th, that shut down schools for the entire week stands alone as "major" in every way!

What do you think?

Great data, Larry! I guess the interpretation of the word "major" comes into play, but I think the Christmas snow of 2010 plus the January 2011 storm a little over 2 weeks later might be up for consideration. The Christmas night snow was enough to shut down all churches the following morning and dropped 1.5 - 2.5" across the area. I think it also disrupted Christmas travel at Hartsfield in a major way for 24-48 hours. Of course the 4-8" we got on Jan 10th, that shut down schools for the entire week stands alone as "major" in every way!

What do you think?

Yes, the interpretation of "major" or "significant" does come into play, of course. I consider 3.5"+ of SN and 1.5"+ of IP as major.

I would consider the 12/25/2010 snow as "significant" and a big impact event.

Tuesday: 0"

Wednesday: 2" in the morning that melted off. When the drizzle changed back to snow at 4:15 in the afternoon  we managed to pick up between 8" and 9" at my house with some lightning for good measure .

The airport reported 7.5" from the 2nd wave. Usually the airport reports are lighter due to slightly warmer temps based on location. 

I heard reports of downtown Chattanooga with 7" and as much as 10" in East Brainerd area which is about 5 miles from the airport.

Overall a good snow for our area.

Just hope gsp looks at the reported data out of Rutherford county a little more. My total was 3.0" which is no where near the 8-10 total i see on this map. Seems like the 8-10 totals was more in the far n and w areas of the county towards Polk and buncombe counties .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived