Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 15 clipper/redeveloper

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harvey's map.

Yeah he's the best for a reason. Still at the top of his game. I was impressed with his 2/13 map. Maybe could have tightened the gradient between abotu Watertown and BOS...but I don't think anyone saw a 6" gradient in 6 miles, lol.

This is just me talking out loud but there are two scenarios IMHO right now for BOS.

Scenario 1. It gets really awesome for like 2-3 hours but heaviest stuff just tickles the terminal and then moves east. Total is like 5-7" or so perhaps.

Scenario 2) This would be the GFS despite the QPF...heavy banding gets into the area and it snows 2-3"/hr. Totals would approach a foot or so.

This morning I felt comfortable with the 6-10...actually I liked BOX map....I think Will even mentioned it as well. These little ticks east or west are detrimental. Going above 10" for a a snowstorm lasting 8 hrs or so is not easy so you have to be confident.

I'm pretty sure cmc is going into the toity for this one.

We will know in the next 90 minutes.  It had this precip screaming north and then between 1-2pm  or just after 2 it starts to get shunted hard east.  The differences are right away.

If the stuff in SE NY starts to drop SSE in the next 90 minutes...the RGEm may have been on to something.

This is just me talking out loud but there are two scenarios IMHO right now for BOS.

Scenario 1. It gets really awesome for like 2-3 hours but heaviest stuff just tickles the terminal and then moves east. Total is like 5-7" or so perhaps.

Scenario 2) This would be the GFS despite the QPF...heavy banding gets into the area and it snows 2-3"/hr. Totals would approach a foot or so.

This morning I felt comfortable with the 6-10...actually I liked BOX map....I think Will even mentioned it as well. These little ticks east or west are detrimental. Going above 10" for a a snowstorm lasting 8 hrs or so is not easy so you have to be confident.

Duration is definitely a big issue for double digits. You'll need to get into the meat of it for at least 2 hours to reach that. I think BOS is probably good for a minimum of 6...the 10"+ amounts are the key there on how long they get the meat of the band.

Out west, I think its mostly a high end advisory deal, though perhaps 6" can be reached to 495 or ORH if they can rip SN+ for one hour surorunded by 4-5 hours of steady 3/4 mile snow or so.

Some here like the Hi Res Nam.  It's pretty sparse.  it takes the stuff that is coming up to about LI right now...stops it cold and spins it out.  IMO tons of caution flags going up, I don't buy the GFS and would be strongly considering dropping totals.

Look at the radar out of OKX and then the contours to the .5...it matches very well what's lining up there now.  Doesn't mean it ends up right though, but curious.  Whatever the RGEM and NAM 4k are seeing it starts very early.  Right or wrong.  RGEM/NAM/4KM vs GF/UK...I'd lean to the first 3 given the banded nature pending the Euro.

(Like the RGEM to a T)

RPM is out far enough where the storm is basically over....BOS gets around 8 inches..maybe 9" south side. Quincy soutrhward is 10"+...6" out to Framinghamup to Andover area. 4" for ORH down to near Ginxy. 2-3" for most of the region west of that out to 91..1-2" in Berks/NW CT

Not that it means ton, but for those who wanted to know what the RPM said.

It is a little bothersome the mesos are so sharp and east, but the heavy hitters don't look anything like that.

In a situation where the bands are going to be super intense like we all believe to be the case is the best course to ride the UK and GFS with a coarser grid?

I don't think it is.  I'll be surprised if the Euro isn't east this run.

Some here like the Hi Res Nam.  It's pretty sparse.  it takes the stuff that is coming up to about LI right now...stops it cold and spins it out.  IMO tons of caution flags going up, I don't buy the GFS and would be strongly considering dropping totals.

Look at the radar out of OKX and then the contours to the .5...it matches very well what's lining up there now.  Doesn't mean it ends up right though, but curious.  Whatever the RGEM and NAM 4k are seeing it starts very early.  Right or wrong.  RGEM/NAM/4KM vs GF/UK...I'd lean to the first 3 given the banded nature pending the Euro.

(Like the RGEM to a T)

I think you're pretty much correct, looking at the models and lining up with current obs. Wagons east.

RPM is out far enough where the storm is basically over....BOS gets around 8 inches..maybe 9" south side. Quincy soutrhward is 10"+...6" out to Framinghamup to Andover area. 4" for ORH down to near Ginxy. 2-3" for most of the region west of that out to 91..1-2" in Berks/NW CT

Not that it means ton, but for those who wanted to know what the RPM said.

Thanks Will. Harv's map to a T.

(Like the RGEM to a T)

NAM looks like its suffering convective feedback issues maybe

Archived