SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2/13/2014 Major Coastal Storm Observations Part 2

Sickman

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally!  Snowing moderately in Metuchen over the last 20 minutes and a quick 1/4" of new snow is on the ground, whitening up everything, including the streets.  Just walked around and it is very slick, as there was still slush on our road and it's starting to freeze, as the temp is 31F.  I was almost ready to give up and go to sleep.  Radar has filled in nicely.  Hopefully I can at least get the low end of the 2-6" NWS forecast for overnight. 

Wow, quickly up to 1.25" of new snow - got 1" in the last ~30 minutes - been snowing heavily (<1/4 mile visibility) most of the last 30 minutes.  Doesn't look like it'll last too much longer at this rate, but with at least one more good band off to the west, I'm liking our chances of at least getting to 2" for this round - something about a 12" overall snowfall sounds nice. 

Not to be a downer, but the 850mb low is on top of LI, and I think the heaviest snows will be setting up N and W of there.

Not too far away from western most edge of LI here in Kew gardens Queens ( about 10 minutes drive) and it has picked up to Mod/Hvy SN .5 Mi Vis , temo 32.8 ( dropped .6 in last 30 minutes) coating to quarter inch in last 15 minutes

HRRR FTW!!!

LOL lets not go that far: remember those predictions of 8 inches + on 2nd rd? that aint happenning! that .95 that fell in LGA with thunder as rain was a killer! physically impossible to accumilate 9.5 inches in 1 hr of course but 5 inches in an hr would have been life changing :D

LOL lets not go that far: remember those predictions of 8 inches + on 2nd rd? that aint happenning! that .95 that fell in LGA with thunder as rain was a killer! physically impossible to accumilate 9.5 inches in 1 hr of course but 5 inches in an hr would have been life changing :D

Nooo lol...it was never supposed to be snow...850s where to warm, were were debating if it was going to be right with the 850s an it was...never use the snow map

Wow I just went back to the 18z run of the HRRR and absolutely it nailed it down to the lightning!. No other model had over 1" of precip in the time. The snow map shows snow but 850s are wayyy too warm that why you only look at it for entertainment.

Check out these images:

post-4195-0-83116400-1392362342_thumb.pn

post-4195-0-41957900-1392362349_thumb.pn

post-4195-0-62655400-1392362365_thumb.pn

post-4195-0-05632600-1392362504_thumb.pn

Wow I just went back to the 18z run of the HRRR and absolutely it nailed it down to the lightning!. No other model had over 1" of precip in the time. The snow map shows snow but 850s are wayyy too warm that why you only look at it for entertainment.

Check out these images:

You r right, spot on, I was highly suspicious of the high qpf in rd II but it delivered that - though truthfull yI wish it hadnt, the snowpack is now rain soaked, thank God for these last 2 inches ( aproximating final total ) that will get as a bookend

I feel for you guys missing out on the heavy stuff In round two. I'm up in Monroe in Orange County and we are just getting blitzed - I'm around 2 feet for the day. And that's on top of the existing 14 inch snowpack we had. It's really been epic up here. Heavy snow, sleet, thunder and lightening.

Hope you guys can get a few more inches your way.

Getting raked in Queens the potpurri storm had it all rain,sleet,thunder,snow,freezing rain,cat and dogs flying around unreal.

I can confirm that, the last hour is a really nice ending to this whopper of  a storm , after 8,5 1st rd , 2 hrs of sleet followed by dry slot and then 1.10 of rain , backending with heavy snow for past 90 minutes with an inch and a half OTG. squeeze out 1 more inch to hit double 1's & im a happy camper

Judging by how quiet the thread has been with this last round of snow obviously a lot of people psyched themselves out about an additional 12 inches of snow. Also, a lot of people have tired themselves out from tracking this thing.  I mean... what a long storm for the eastern seaboard... nearly 30 hours of impact just for our area. 

Whether or not anyone actually gets that 12 inch amount from the backside, here in northeast NJ I've been watching the snow and it is quite enjoyable.  Occasionally I have had wind gusts that shake the house and cause a brief flurry of snow off the ground.  I'm looking at a few inches of snow from this back side and since it could have been nothing it makes me enjoy it even more. While some had disappointments this will be a storm we can talk about for a long time to come.  Such a wide range of weather for such a large area.

Archived