joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA and the fringes - Feb. 2014 Part V

JamieOber

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well there is definitely a precip shadow effect with Blue Mountain to our east and the ridge along 81 to our west.  That has a lot to do with it.  Just the reality, we are always going to be on the low end of storms for the area.  Its hard for me since I lived in an area that was a snowfall maximum for the region in MD and they are about double my snow this storm and for the season right now.  We are looking into moving to the Poconos if I can find a job in the area, or will be back to Manchester MD next year, and I won't lie the weather is a factor in where I want to live.  I know that makes me a little crazy but I know what makes me happy and I won't pretend I wouldnt be constantly frustrated living here in winter. 

I feel you about the weather effect. My primary desire is to live in a place that has the four distinct seasons, no matter what pains come along with them. Plus I myself have been aiming to get to a place which can run up heavy snows instead of this frustration as well (today obviously being an exception). I'm hoping for the Poconos myself sometime in the future.

I feel you about the weather effect. My primary desire is to live in a place that has the four distinct seasons, no matter what pains come along with them. Plus I myself have been aiming to get to a place which can run up heavy snows instead of this frustration as well (today obviously being an exception). I'm hoping for the Poconos myself sometime in the future.

Poconos are a great area, lots to do, not too rural, great snows in the winter, and the cost of living is very low compared to other areas.  Where I lived in MD was nice too...the Parrs ridge area of northeast Carroll County would max out in almost any storm that hit the area.  They definitely don't get as many smaller snows but if you like big ticket snowstorms that area is about as good as it gets unless you move to central Mass or something. 

Just got back in from a walk here in Lititz.  Absolutely EPIC twenty minutes out there.  Not one, but FOUR times the sky lit up from lightning.  Snowing in sheets, visibility wouldn’t have been 200 yards in the daytime.   It is POURING snow.  Cleared a table before I left and we had an inch and a half when I got back.  In 20 minutes.  Gusty winds.  Absolute best snow walk I’ve ever had.

We are not lucky tonight around Harrisburg seems. MDT likely won't break double digits.

Amazing how that happened after the storm appeared certain to overperform this morning. At least it gets me some meteorological street cred at the office because I told everyone that York would crack 12 inches, but Harrisburg would not.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA

817 PM EST THU FEB 13 2014

PAZ057>059-065-066-140330-

DAUPHIN-SCHUYLKILL-LEBANON-YORK-LANCASTER-

817 PM EST THU FEB 13 2014

...HEAVY SNOW POUNDING THE AREA...

HEAVY SNOW WILL FALL EAST OF HARRISBURG AND YORK THIS

EVENING...INCLUDING PARTS OF SCHUYLKILL COUNTY. SNOWFALL RATES OF

1 TO 2 INCHES PER HOUR HAVE BEEN REPORTED ALONG WITH THUNDER. THE

SNOW WILL GRADUALLY TAPER OFF BETWEEN 10 PM AND MIDNIGHT. IF AT

ALL POSSIBLE...AVOID TRAVEL THIS EVENING.

Archived