joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA and the fringes - Feb. 2014 Part V

JamieOber

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't seen snow this deep myself since Feb. 2010. Ah, memories of going to my Dad's house in Muhlenberg Township (near Reading) after the 2/10 event and seeing his yard buried in 2' of snow...also had about a 1.5' snowpack at home after the 2/25-26 bomb that year.

Back home we had just about 36" on the ground after the first 2 Feb 2010 storms.  I think we got 6.5" with the late Feb. one. It was nearly impossible to measure due to winds. That storm was a blizzard for sure. 

I have been stuck between snow bands for the last hour...The bands out west seem to still be shifting NW as they weaken but the intense convective band that is only a few miles to my east does not seem to want to make any progress westward...

Hopefully I am not stuck in a screw zone that always seems to set up withthese upper low passages

I have been stuck between snow bands for the last hour...The bands out west seem to still be shifting NW as they weaken but the intense convective band that is only a few miles to my east does not seem to want to make any progress westward...

Hopefully I am not stuck in a screw zone that always seems to set up withthese upper low passages

you will change to snow if we get into a heavy band...so far the problem is everything is west or east of us

The idea that we live in a bad spot is something I've noticed since I've been living up here. I can't speak for Pine Grove, but Tamaqua? Wow! And it's not just in the winter. Thunderstorms die here in the summer, only to reform to my east. It's amazing. A terrible place to live if you like interesting weather.

Hoar_Frost, on 13 Feb 2014 - 8:02 PM, said:snapback.png

I am assuming a snow depth of 15" at tomorrow morning's ob at State College.  The last time when the depth was as high was 15 February 2004.  

LaurelHighlandsWX said --

Interesting. Didn't UNV end up with 14" during the 02-05/06 (2010) storm? Plus the 02-09 storm after that, I thought the depth would of been higher. Not doubting you. Just was curious.

Your recollection appears to be correct.  (I didn't live here at the time.)  13.5" was recorded for the 6 February 2010 observation.  Snow depth that morning was 12".  The high temperature recorded for the past 24 h was 34F, so I assume that some settling occurred, lowering the snow depth.  My call of 15" for snow depth for tomorrow is a little conservative to try to take account of any settling though it's generally been a colder storm than the 2010 event apparently was.  

The idea that we live in a bad spot is something I've noticed since I've been living up here. I can't speak for Pine Grove, but Tamaqua? Wow! And it's not just in the winter. Thunderstorms die here in the summer, only to reform to my east. It's amazing. A terrible place to live if you like interesting weather.

Well there is definitely a precip shadow effect with Blue Mountain to our east and the ridge along 81 to our west.  That has a lot to do with it.  Just the reality, we are always going to be on the low end of storms for the area.  Its hard for me since I lived in an area that was a snowfall maximum for the region in MD and they are about double my snow this storm and for the season right now.  We are looking into moving to the Poconos if I can find a job in the area, or will be back to Manchester MD next year, and I won't lie the weather is a factor in where I want to live.  I know that makes me a little crazy but I know what makes me happy and I won't pretend I wouldnt be constantly frustrated living here in winter. 

Hoar_Frost, on 13 Feb 2014 - 8:02 PM, said:snapback.png

LaurelHighlandsWX said --

Interesting. Didn't UNV end up with 14" during the 02-05/06 (2010) storm? Plus the 02-09 storm after that, I thought the depth would of been higher. Not doubting you. Just was curious.

Your recollection appears to be correct.  (I didn't live here at the time.)  13.5" was recorded for the 6 February 2010 observation.  Snow depth that morning was 12".  The high temperature recorded for the past 24 h was 34F, so I assume that some settling occurred, lowering the snow depth.  My call of 15" for snow depth for tomorrow is a little conservative to try to take account of any settling though it's generally been a colder storm than the 2010 event apparently was.  

Ok. Thanks for replying. I wasn't sure because I was at home for the first Feb 2010 storm since my schedule worked out where I had no class on that Friday. 

Archived