• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA and the fringes - Feb. 2014 Part V

JamieOber

Mag, over in the Pittsburgh thread I just noted the same thing. It definitely seems like the precip shield has been able to make it a slightly more NW in our area than what was expected. With the tight gradient its making a difference in sensible weather for sure.

My question is, did the low track a bit further inland, or was it just able to spread meaningful qpf a bit further NW of what models showed?

The track seems to be going as planned, the computer models have just not forecast the magnitude of this precip shield well at all leading up to this storm (most notably the GFS) despite the presence and positioning of features that scream big time central PA snowstorm. I had the Pittsburgh area pegged for a T-2, where are you guys at right now?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So who else got much warmer than expected. Here in Tamaqua, my front porch sensor is 36 and and my backyard sensor is 38. Almost spring-like. I measured a total of 7" from round one. Not sure what to expect from round two. I'm a bit skeptical.

We're right on schedule, at 25 but I've noticed to our south it's pretty warm.

RGEM clown map

Surely this cant be additional right?

Ended so far with 8" here in Hazleton, snow pack about 2' deep. Brings my seasonal total to around 49" which is just above average. If we get another 2" tonight the NWS 10-14" call would be correct and WNEP would further be thrown into embarrasment. 

Hoping this backend works out... I know places down in Virginia (Roanoke) where it is still snowing have close to 20". If this thing can wrap around an intensify could see a foot here and another few inches Saturday.

Great winter, dont even care about the warm up later this month... Should still see some more snow heading into March!

So who else got much warmer than expected. Here in Tamaqua, my front porch sensor is 36 and and my backyard sensor is 38. Almost spring-like. I measured a total of 7" from round one. Not sure what to expect from round two. I'm a bit skeptical.

I am at 35 but nothing is melting... low now 990mb? starting to somewhat bomb

Here in Hanover have spent the last 2 hours with neighbors shoveling out the block. Light mist with the occasional sleet pellet mixed the whole time. Have a temp of 34 now and ended up with 13 1/2 before it was beaten down by sleet and rain. Hoping to see another 1 or 2 a little later today when the deform passes through but if not am still satisfied with what I received. Good luck further north with adding to your totals

Sounds like we might have a decent period of around 1"/hr snows!

Unfortunately the band seems to be making another move, so it might pass us before stalling again. Still, we should be under it for at least another half hour or so, and possibly longer if it tries to stall again before then.

The track seems to be going as planned, the computer models have just not forecast the magnitude of this precip shield well at all leading up to this storm (most notably the GFS) despite the presence and positioning of features that scream big time central PA snowstorm. I had the Pittsburgh area pegged for a T-2, where are you guys at right now?

I'm at work so I can't measure right now, but just from other reports in our thread it seems like most areas are going to end up on the higher end closer to 2, and there will likely be an area outside your T-2 that ends up with a T-1, but overall pretty good call.

Visibility down to 1/4 mile in heavy snow here in Port Matilda. Big flakes. I got Son of Death Band that formed and is now being absorbed by the daddy Death Band.

:thumbsup:

Saw that. Glad you're getting into this awesome band! Now I need it to stall right where it is. :P

By the way, we're warming up quite a bit here. Up to 26°F at the Walker Building (and 28°F apparently at KUNV).

Unfortunately the band seems to be making another move, so it might pass us before stalling again. Still, we should be under it for at least another half hour or so, and possibly longer if it tries to stall again before then.

Seems to be pivoting more noticeably now, is it looking like the southern/eastern edge of the precip makes it all the way up here for a time? Roughly 4" here so far today and 8-9" total on the ground

Archived