joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
18z Models 2.12.14 Discussion

BrooklynSnow97

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The question in my head is the warming takes place as the precip (and its cooling) shuts off, if the dry slot is over foretasted, would we still warm as fast? I think the EUro has less of a dry slot which is why it is now colder than the nam.

Not the dry slot being overcast, dry slot precip. Meaning rather than going light it might very well shut off before the CCB moves through cutting down on rain/sleet amounts

This may belong in the observation threads, but I'm looking at the current radar and comparing it to what was forecasted with the 12Z models and it appears that there is more cold air than most had predicted. I only know because I was looking closely at Norfolk because my company had some guests visiting from Norfolk and it looked like it was supposed to change over to rain within 30 minutes down there, but it has been snowing now for just over an hour and there is plenty of room before the changeover occurs. This may be good news for the snow lovers in us all near NYC

The CCB on the 4k NAM crushes pretty much the entire state of NJ. One giant convective blob.

The 4k Nam seems to be notorious for its crazy "weenie" type runs, so I'm not sure whether I buy it at this time. I think it's probably best to lean on the Euro as it's been the most consistent with this storm. Latest updates to the WSW from Mt. Holly increased amounts in NW NJ to 8-14" with locally higher and still has 6-10 closer to central NJ with the potential for 10-14 in the far north and west burbs of Philly. 

I guess they aren't quite buying the CCB quite as much and lean more on the front end thump. 

This may belong in the observation threads, but I'm looking at the current radar and comparing it to what was forecasted with the 12Z models and it appears that there is more cold air than most had predicted. I only know because I was looking closely at Norfolk because my company had some guests visiting from Norfolk and it looked like it was supposed to change over to rain within 30 minutes down there, but it has been snowing now for just over an hour and there is plenty of room before the changeover occurs. This may be good news for the snow lovers in us all near NYC

Mid-levels are being flooded with warmth though. Sleet is mixing in already into VA, per obs thread in the SE forum.

Models are sometime to aggressive with warm air

Up here at KSWF, the forecast highs busted about 6 deg. low for today. Last night we hit -4 and today's high only reached to 19.

No question EWR is 24/4 right now, could start snowing with temps in upper teens/around 20

4K NAM  front end   10 hours of snow 3 hours of drizzle . Then precip shuts off Highest temp hour 24 CNJ 34 - KNYC 33  by hour 25  all start to tick lower .10 -12 inches from CNJ to KNYC   falls on the front end  then we wil be dry for a few hours but the 0 line is way out a head of the CCB line that begins to take shape over CPA down thru DC  at  hour 27   At hour 29 , its starting to deepen and head NE

4K NAM  front end   10 hours of snow 3 hours of drizzle . Then precip shuts off Highest temp hour 24 CNJ 34 - KNYC 33  by hour 25  all start to tick lower .10 -12 inches from CNJ to KNYC   falls on the front end  then we wil be dry for a few hours but the 0 line is way out a head of the CCB line that begins to take shape over CPA down thru DC  at  hour 27   At hour 29 , its starting to deepen and head NE

With the models appearing to indicate a closer to the coast track, I would imagine snow ratios will be between 10-12:1. My concern is not for accumulations, as opposed to the water content of what's about to fall. In the Northern part of Morris County, I have seen numerous homes with substantial snow pack on roofs currently; concerns of collapses on some of the older homes? Apologizes if this is the wrong thread for this question. Thank you all for the incredible analysis.

Counting every panel on the 4k NAM, snow moves in at 04z, Heavy snow moves in at 09z and lasts through 16z. Then dry slot or very light precipitation from 17z through 23z. Then back end heavy snows from 00z to 09z.

Total QPF is 2.5"+ for pretty much everyone from EPA into SW CT with a larger general area of 2"+ from VA to MA.

With the models appearing to indicate a closer to the coast track, I would imagine snow ratios will be between 10-12:1. My concern is not for accumulations, as opposed to the water content of what's about to fall. In the Northern part of Morris County, I have seen numerous homes with substantial snow pack on roofs currently; concerns of collapses on some of the older homes? Apologizes if this is the wrong thread for this question. Thank you all for the incredible analysis.

IMO ratios for the front end, especially initially could be better than that....of course that changes as the storm progresses

So tomorrow nite should really be a show

ANY MIX OR RAIN WILL CHANGE BACK TO SNOW THU NGT AS THE H5 LOW
PASSES OVER THE CWA AND THE ENTIRE COLUMN COOLS. WINDS WILL BEGIN
TO PEAK DURING THIS TIME AS WELL WITH THE LOW DROPPING AT A RATE
OF 15-20 MB PER 6 HR. BECAUSE THERE IS NOT AN INTENSE HI BUILDING
IN FROM THE W...EXPECTING PEAK GUSTS IN THE 40-50 MPH RANGE ATTM.

Any mix/rain I think will be minimal with the dry slot forecast to go over our region.

Still my main concern is can we get those intense CCB snows to translate over LI and not substantially weaken. That is my major concern paul as NJ/NYC/HV and SWCT get jackpotted and we get the leftovers more often than not

Archived