Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
V Day II obs

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tips' "rainball" has rolled in.  Not really much activity since the snow stopped earlier today.  Dryslot saved me from major rain so I'm actually not too angry about the rain for the next few hours.

Still below freezing at 31.6F.

Happy I cleared the snow when it was fluffy and not "saturated" from the rain.

What are "K-Inded values"?

Basically just a measure of convective potential.  Typically once you see values approach 30 or get into the lower 30's, it's an indication that convection is a possibility.  You get into the mid and upper 30's and higher...pretty strong indication there will be convection.  

Basically just a measure of convective potential.  Typically once you see values approach 30 or get into the lower 30's, it's an indication that convection is a possibility.  You get into the mid and upper 30's and higher...pretty strong indication there will be convection.  

Thanks!  How will you be able to know for sure - beyond possibility into reality?

Thanks!  How will you be able to know for sure - beyond possibility into reality?

Like many index numbers (Cape for example), K-Index won't be an exact measurement.  If you really wanted to know for sure you would just have to look at numerous factors, such as strength of lift, strength of forcing (any fronts around?), instability, moisture present, etc.

The KI is derived by taking the temperature at 850mb and subtracting that from the 500mb temperature and then adding that difference to the difference between the 850mb dewpoint and the 700mb dewpoint depression (no I don't have that memorized...had to look up lol).

So virtually higher amounts of llvl moisture, a higher difference between the 850-500mb temps can lead to an environment which could favor the development of convection so long other parameters are favorable as well.

Tips' "rainball" has rolled in. Not really much activity since the snow stopped earlier today. Dryslot saved me from major rain so I'm actually not too angry about the rain for the next few hours.

Still below freezing at 31.6F.

Happy I cleared the snow when it was fluffy and not "saturated" from the rain.

sidewalks and driveway icy, just salted

Like many index numbers (Cape for example), K-Index won't be an exact measurement.  If you really wanted to know for sure you would just have to look at numerous factors, such as strength of lift, strength of forcing (any fronts around?), instability, moisture present, etc.

The KI is derived by taking the temperature at 850mb and subtracting that from the 500mb temperature and then adding that difference to the difference between the 850mb dewpoint and the 700mb dewpoint depression (no I don't have that memorized...had to look up lol).

So virtually higher amounts of llvl moisture, a higher difference between the 850-500mb temps can lead to an environment which could favor the development of convection so long other parameters are favorable as well.

Thanks, dude.

Archived