Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 12-13 Obs for "The Storm That Wouldn't Say NO"

Herb@MAWS

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

post-397-0-85311600-1392234249_thumb.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0091   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   1242 PM CST WED FEB 12 2014   AREAS AFFECTED...VA...SE WV   CONCERNING...HEAVY SNOW    VALID 121842Z - 130045Z   SUMMARY...MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP THIS   AFTERNOON FROM SERN WV EWD ACROSS MUCH OF VA. SNOWFALL RATES OF 1   INCH PER HOUR WILL BECOME COMMON WITH LOCALLY HIGHER RATES.   DISCUSSION...LATEST WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS AN UPPER-LEVEL TROUGH   IN THE MS VALLEY WITH A LEAD SHORTWAVE TROUGH EXTENDING FROM THE SRN   APPALACHIAN MTNS SEWD ACROSS SC. WIDESPREAD PRECIPITATION IS LOCATED   JUST AHEAD OF THIS FEATURE IN A BROAD ZONE OF WARM ADVECTION FROM   ERN GA NEWD INTO THE CAROLINAS. MODEL FORECASTS SUGGEST LARGE-SCALE   ASCENT ALONG THIS ZONE WILL MOVE NWD OVER THE NEXT FEW HOURS BECOME   INCREASINGLY ENHANCED ACROSS NRN NC AND VA LATE THIS AFTERNOON. THIS   WILL AID THE DEVELOPMENT OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOWFALL ACROSS VA AND   SERN WV LATE THIS AFTERNOON. THE 18Z SOUNDING FROM GREENSBORO NC   SHOULD BE REPRESENTATIVE OF THE AIRMASS IN VA...SHOWING THE PRIMARY   ZONE FOR DENDRITIC GROWTH BETWEEN 700 AND 500 MB. AS MOISTENING   CONTINUES TO OCCUR BELOW 850 MB...AN ISOTHERMAL LAYER SHOULD BE   FAVORABLE FOR HEAVY SNOW WITH RATES OF 1 INCH PER HOUR COMMON.   LOCALLY HIGHER RATES COULD OCCUR WITHIN THE MORE ORGANIZED BANDING.   ..BROYLES.. 02/12/2014   ATTN...WFO...AKQ...LWX...RNK...RLX...

That makes me think we do real well as I don't remember any storms where they get smoked that we didn't get hammered unless the storm slid way to our south and east. 

That's exactly what I was wondering all yesterday. What other Miller A has ever gone from dropping 7-11" of snow in Charlotte, then come up the coast on a classic track with plenty of moisture, and yet flips over to plain rain for a significant chunk of the storm for the entire DC to Boston corridor (what the warmer models were showing yesterday)?

That's exactly what I was wondering all yesterday. What other Miller A has ever gone from dropping 7-11" of snow in Charlotte, then come up the coast on a classic track with plenty of moisture, and yet flips over to plain rain for a significant chunk of the storm for the entire DC to Boston corridor (what the warmer models were showing yesterday)?

Negative tilt troughs can screw new england,  we've had some big snows where they've rained in Boston.  Not common but the blizzard of 66 was such a storm. 

Negative tilt troughs can screw new england,  we've had some big snows where they've rained in Boston.  Not common but the blizzard of 66 was such a storm. 

1/22/87, 1/25/00 and 12/29/00 weren't that kind to Boston either... but, yeah, that does happen with a city or two. It was just this idea that everyone from here through Boston was going to be receiving less snow than Charlotte and now perhaps Raleigh that was intriguing...

if you go to trafficland.com and go down to VA... You can clearly see where the snow is based on the traffic colors of the roads. Red/Black in NC, yellows showing up in Blacksburg/Roanoke, green in Lynchburg.

Thanks for the reminder. I forgot to post my usual link. 

http://www.511virginia.org/

Navy Yard runs cold but according to the weatherbug station, they made it to 26 today ( add a degree or two to that for actual temp since they run cold) --- now down to 24 degrees... the forecast high was 30, and then was adjusted up to 33, but we never came close.

Definitely going to be cold for the front end thump.

Archived