joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13/2014 Major Coastal Storm Observations

Rtd208

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mix line has moved through Monmouth into Middlesex and will be into NYC within an hour or so

Do you remember Peter O'Toole's response to Alec Guiness in Lawrence of Arabia--the latter who wa an arab chieftain who believed in the inevitability of losing a certain battle? "It is written… ." The Chieftain said.

"Nothing is written," Ted Lawrence replied and he was right. Meat ain't meat until it's in the pan.

Do you remember Peter O'Toole's response to Alec Guiness in Lawrence of Arabia--the latter who wa an arab chieftain who believed in the inevitability of losing a certain battle? "It is written… ." The Chieftain said.

"Nothing is written," Ted Lawrence replied and he was right. Meat ain't meat until it's in the pan.

well he did go back for that guy in the desert then had to shoot him later....it was written...

Here are the 2 lines...first few pingers in Queens

Lightest snow of past 90 mixed with sleet for 1st time in Kew gardens BUT we are at 6.2 Inches already, did over 3inches last hr. Just astonishing. If we can squeeze out anothe rcouple of hours on this amazing front end we will near 1 ft just on the front!

Someone reported my hometown Howell as all snow. Colts neck and Jackson too. Dual Pol has the rain snow north of them right now so think about that before leaping.

I think he has a conspiracy theory for every storm lol....reality is that we will get VERY heavy snow until about 10:30-11:00 am until we transition trough the city and very close suburbs....we will accumulate 8-10" MAYBE more....but the Changeover WILL happen....without using models, you can clearly use a dual pol radar to see where the mixing is....for now....crushing heavy snow!

If you watch the loop and look at both the backside of the storm as well as how the precip is building south of here, especially if you use KOKX as the radar site,  you can see the turn towards the ENE starting to happen.

Here is the Edison area, we had 2" on the ground as of about 6 am, then 3" on the ground as of 7 am, when I went out to shovel and now 5" on the ground as of 8 am.  Just got in from shoveling what I thought was 3" of snow, starting at 7 am, only to have 2" of snow where I had started shoveling, lol.  Have rarely seen snow this heavy - 2" per hour the last hour!  Wow!  And at least a few more hours of this judging by the radar - we should have at least 9-10" on the ground by 11 am.  29F and the visibility is only about 1/8 mile.  The power of Mother Nature is friggin' awe-inspiring.  I just wish it wouldn't change over to rain - it's just so much less fun.

Still ripping snow here in the Edison area with 7" of new snow, including 2" in the last 40 minutes, which is 3" per hour stuff. Simply amazing out there. Should get to 8-9" at least, I think, on the front end, but the sleet line is now up to Trenton (and the rain line up to Mt. Holly), so it's advancing much faster than I think anyone expected.

Most areas that were under the 8-10" total snowfall amounts along I-95 south of maybe NB will likely get to 7-10" just from the front end with the back end still to come with several inches, hopefully. However, the 10-14" amounts from NE Middlesex County to NYC and even the places N/W of 95 in SE PA/NJ, north of Trenton, who are also in 10-14" swaths and even 14-18" swaths 20-30 miles NW of Philly will also likely only get to 7-10" on the front end, so that they may have a tougher time getting to their final amounts, unless the back end delivers 4-6".

Looks like mix line west to east is from east Brunswick to south amboy to woodwere....some of the heaviest snow might have sleet mixed in but still accumulate fast. Wow that mix like realy races north from S NJ ! Right now it is snowing at 3" per hour, temp a bit past 28

Please tell me your location. if your in NE NJ , you don't have sleet mixed it. Please , stop.

mod/hvy snow, oak ridge, nj nw morris county.  about 4 inches or so.  maybe a little more.

just received another text from my brother in Burlington township.  about an hour ago he had changed to sleet.  he's now back to snow.

Wow. Interesting. That's some of the furthest south in NJ reports we have. Intriguing for sure.

Archived