• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13/2014 Major Coastal Storm Observations

Rtd208

Im far from a debbie downer but the reality is dual pol does not lie. Its movin north.

Yeah....middle ground I guess is best....I dot consider myself a Debbie downer lol but the reality is that the changeover line truly is moving north fairly quickly now, and as I said, the snow should last another 3 hours most in the city and nearby areas. During that time is the true dumping....and right now I'm loving it. No, we will not get only 5 inches....but I do indeed doubt 12" ....thinking more like 8-9" for most areas. Snowing about 3" per hour right now here

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go against the Euro, yeah that's wise particularly when the short term models agree with it. It has 15+ NYC west all as snow. Maybe you are talking about Long Island or central to southern Jersey but that is not everyone here.

Well PB I take you pretty seriously, but if the entire event is supposed to do 6-12 for the city and immediate environs, then we would have to be looking at huge amts if the back end snows come to fruition. I don't see anyone in the media saying that except for the northwest areas. Are they all just out to lunch?

Who cares what these news people say. Going against the Euro in this setup is idiocy.

Yep it's moved north....but it was modeled anyway...we should still be snow for 3 hours, and in that time is when all the fun happens 2-3" per hour. It'll easily drop 8-10", my only doubts were if we'd hit a foot in the area before a changeover....to make it clear for some. This is definitely a thump snow, and to me it's much more enjoyable than 15 hours of light snow. It's just pouring the white stuff right now

Yea I think once it get 1-2 miles from bk it will hit a wall for a few hours with the NE wind and colder SSTs

Well PB I take you pretty seriously, but if the entire event is supposed to do 6-12 for the city and immediate environs, then we would have to be looking at huge amts if the back end snows come to fruition. I don't see anyone in the media saying that except for the northwest areas. Are they all just out to lunch?

The media has been playing catchup with this storm for a long time now.  The 6-12" idea (I like more like 6-10) is just for the front end across NYC and environs...

Your mistake is underlined and bolded.

Brooklyn just measured very close to 6 .  Temps down to 29  rates of 2 inches per hour for the next 2 hours , the the RS line is the wildcard . Does it bust thru at 10 or 11  .   45 DBZ  still training from  my SE

Go against the Euro, yeah that's wise particularly when the short term models agree with it. It has 15+ NYC west all as snow. Maybe you are talking about Long Island or central to southern Jersey but that is not everyone here.

You're in a different zone. And the area is big. I'm across from NYC..Staten Island; that's still fairly far south of upper Manhattan and Bergen Co.

Jeez, Dual-pol showing the changeover maybe 20 miles away from me now. If that flies through here there will be a good amount of rain/sleet before the dryslot, much warmer than models even last night thought.

The final ingredient down here is always climatology in razor sharp situations like this IMHO

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

817 AM EST THU FEB 13 2014

CTZ005-008>012-NJZ004-006-103>108-NYZ069>075-078>081-176>179-131445-

BRONX-EASTERN BERGEN-EASTERN ESSEX-EASTERN PASSAIC-EASTERN

UNION-HUDSON-KINGS (BROOKLYN)-NEW YORK (MANHATTAN)-NORTHEAST

SUFFOLK-NORTHERN FAIRFIELD-NORTHERN NASSAU-NORTHERN NEW

LONDON-NORTHERN QUEENS-NORTHERN WESTCHESTER-NORTHWEST

SUFFOLK-RICHMOND (STATEN IS.)-ROCKLAND-SOUTHEAST SUFFOLK-SOUTHERN

FAIRFIELD-SOUTHERN MIDDLESEX-SOUTHERN NASSAU-SOUTHERN NEW

HAVEN-SOUTHERN NEW LONDON-SOUTHERN QUEENS-SOUTHERN

WESTCHESTER-SOUTHWEST SUFFOLK-WESTERN BERGEN-WESTERN ESSEX-WESTERN

UNION-

817 AM EST THU FEB 13 2014

...NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS WILL IMPACT LONG ISLAND...NEW YORK

CITY...AND COASTAL PORTIONS OF NORTHEASTERN NEW JERSEY...SOUTHERN

CONNECTICUT...AND THE LOWER HUDSON VALLEY THROUGH AROUND 10 AM...

AS OF 800 AM EST...A BAND OF VERY HEAVY SNOW WITH SNOWFALL RATES OF

2 TO 4 INCHES PER HOUR HAS OVERPSREAD THE REGION AND IS EXPECTED TO

CONTINUE TO SIT OVER THE REGION THROUGH 10 AM.

IN ADDITION...WIND GUSTS OF 30 TO 40 MPH ARE EXPECTED TO DEVELOP

THROUGH MID MORNING...RESULTING IN NEAR ZERO VISBILITY AT TIMES.

TRAVEL IS NOT RECOMMENDED THROUGH MID MORNING DUE TO THE RAPIDLY

DERIORATING CONDITIONS. MOTORISTS SHOULD EXERCISE EXTREME CAUTION IF

TRAVEL IS NECESSARY.

CONDITIONS SHOULD GRADAULLY IMPROVE AT LEAST ACROSS SOUTHERN

PORTIONS OF LONG ISLAND BY AROUND 10 AM.

A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE AREA.

Brooklyn just measured very close to 6 .  Temps down to 29  rates of 2 inches per hour for the next 2 hours , the the RS line is the wildcard . Does it bust thru at 10 or 11  .   45 DBZ  still training from  my SE

Thanks I appreciate your response. Whether we get to a certain amt or not to me is less a story than how evil it is outside right now.

Archived