joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13/2014 Major Coastal Storm Observations

Rtd208

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I read no way the coast gets 12 I died laughing - check out the moisture train coming up from the Atlantic towards NYC , that's 3 hours of this . Plus 5 in so many spots . Don't think 12 is a problem

On my radar scope that line south of LI is now producing 50dbz (bright red echos ) i can only assume when that gets up here it'll be even more impressive than this band coming through currently. 12" for the coast shouldn be a problem given how the dynamics and R/S not budging contrary to some saying its "chugging" north

mcd0099.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0099
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
0700 AM CST THU FEB 13 2014

AREAS AFFECTED...MID-ATLANTIC/NORTHEAST STATES

CONCERNING...HEAVY SNOW

VALID 131300Z - 131800Z

SUMMARY...MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW...WITH SNOW RATES OF 1-2 IN/HR
LIKELY...WILL CONTINUE TO DEVELOP NORTH-NORTHEASTWARD ACROSS THE
COASTAL NORTHEASTERN STATES THIS MORNING. SNOW WILL INTENSIFY
ESPECIALLY ACROSS SOUTHERN NEW YORK/NYC METRO INTO SOUTHERN NEW
ENGLAND THROUGH LATE MORNING/EARLY AFTERNOON. A TRANSITIONAL MIX OF
PRECIPITATION WILL OCCUR IN COASTAL PLAIN AREAS THROUGH THE
AFTERNOON...ESPECIALLY IN AREAS WITHIN 50-75 MILES OF THE ATLANTIC.

DISCUSSION...A SHORTWAVE TROUGH CONTINUES TO SHIFT
EAST-NORTHEASTWARD TO THE EAST OF THE CENTRAL/SOUTHERN APPALACHIANS
EARLY THIS MORNING...WITH A BAROCLINIC LEAF STRUCTURE READILY
EVIDENT OVER THE EASTERN SEABOARD IN IR/WV SATELLITE IMAGERY. A
DEEPENING SURFACE LOW IS CENTERED NEAR THE NC OUTER BANKS AS OF
12Z...WITH STRONG WARM/MOIST ADVECTION OCCURRING NEAR/JUST ABOVE THE
SURFACE IN COASTAL AREAS AS PER WSR-88D VWP/12Z UPPER AIR DATA.

THIS SCENARIO WILL LEAD TO A GENERAL NORTHEASTWARD TRANSITION OF
CONSIDERABLE UVV FROM THE DELMARVA VICINITY TO SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND
BY MIDDAY. AS PER 12Z OBSERVED REGIONAL SOUNDINGS...SNOW WILL BE THE
DOMINANT PRECIPITATION TYPE ESPECIALLY FOR INLAND AREAS...WITH
SATURATED MID-LEVEL DENDRITIC LAYERS /SUCH AS 12Z ALBANY AND
NYC-LONG ISLAND SOUNDINGS/ CONDUCIVE FOR BOUTS OF MODERATE TO HEAVY
SNOW FROM FAR EASTERN PA/NORTHERN NJ INTO SOUTHERN NY/SOUTHERN NEW
ENGLAND.

IN NEAR-COASTAL AREAS...ROUGHLY WITHIN 50-75 MILES OF THE
ATLANTIC...A TRANSITIONAL MIX OF PRECIPITATION CAN BE EXPECTED
THROUGH THE AFTERNOON...ESPECIALLY GIVEN THAT THE LONG ISLAND 12Z
OBSERVED SOUNDING WAS ONLY MARGINALLY SUB-0C BELOW 850 MB/1.3 KM
AGL. THIS NEAR-COASTAL TRANSITIONAL MIX WILL BE DRIVEN BY PERSISTENT
LOW-LEVEL WARM ADVECTION QUASI-FOCUSED ACROSS THE NYC METRO
VICINITY/FAR SOUTHERN NY INTO SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND.

..GUYER.. 02/13/2014

ATTN...WFO...GYX...BOX...OKX...ALY...PHI...BGM...CTP...LWX...

LAT...LON 39557777 40977588 42297520 42987285 43427152 43787081
43647024 42747048 42117070 41637128 40187394 39617595
38757693 39027793 39557777 

Yeah that R/S line is still chugging north. Looks to be entering Monmouth county now as per dual pol.

Yeah that R/S line is still chugging north. Looks to be entering Monmouth county now as per dual pol.

It is going to changeover before anyone in the NYC area gets to 12, I don't know where people are getting that front end could be 12, when totals are 6-12 for the entire duration by forecast consensus.Whatever it gets to before the switch, right now it is deadly driving and that is the story. It is very bad out in central NJ to say the least.And enough is on the road that a change to rain may improve visibility, but it will still be a tough slog.

rain sleet line chuggin north (about 25 miles shout of bk) lets hope it hits a wall

Yep it's moved north....but it was modeled anyway...we should still be snow for 3 hours, and in that time is when all the fun happens 2-3" per hour. It'll easily drop 8-10", my only doubts were if we'd hit a foot in the area before a changeover....to make it clear for some. This is definitely a thump snow, and to me it's much more enjoyable than 15 hours of light snow. It's just pouring the white stuff right now

Since last night at 10:30 p.m (I reside in Nassau County, north of Jones Beach by about 10 miles and about 2 miles north of the Southern State) Upton has changed its predicted snow amounts five times, I believe. I'm not a met, a forecaster, or know anything about models other than ANY model--every model, biological, mathematical, or physical has three problems: deletions, distortions, and generalizations. The first suggests that no model can accurately represent ALL the nuances of the real world or the thing it is modeling; the second suggests models lend themselves to having humans focus on some aspects of it to the exclusion of others, and generalization tells us models lead us to take the case for the rule. 

I guess what I'm suggesting is, the fact that no one really had--or still has--real confidence in how this will play out suggests this unusal constellelation of atmospheric events has exposed these problems with modeling. It's not the first time and it won't be the last but when this happens you can toss out the rule books and rule of thumbs because they may not apply to what is clearly an outlier as far as storms go in this area.

On my radar scope that line south of LI is now producing 50dbz (bright red echos ) i can only assume when that gets up here it'll be even more impressive than this band coming through currently. 12" for the coast shouldn be a problem given how the dynamics and R/S not budging contrary to some saying its "chugging" north

Im far from a debbie downer but the reality is dual pol does not lie. Its movin north. 

It is going to changeover before anyone in the NYC area gets to 12, I don't know where people are getting that front end could be 12, when totals are 6-12 for the entire duration by forecast consensus.Whatever it gets to before the switch, right now it is deadly driving and that is the story. It is very bad out in central NJ to say the least.And enough is on the road that a change to rain may improve visibility, but it will still be a tough slog.

Go against the Euro, yeah that's wise particularly when the short term models agree with it. It has 15+ NYC west all as snow. Maybe you are talking about Long Island or central to southern Jersey but that is not everyone here.

When I read no way the coast gets 12 I died laughing - check out the moisture train coming up from the Atlantic towards NYC , that's 3 hours of this . Plus 5 in so many spots . Don't think 12 is a problem

Well PB I take you pretty seriously, but if the entire event is supposed to do 6-12 for the city and immediate environs, then we would have to be looking at huge amts if the back end snows come to fruition. I don't see anyone in the media saying that except for the northwest areas. Are they all just out to lunch?

Archived