• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
0z Models 2/12/2014 | Potential Major Coastal Storm

user13

On the AccuWeather board, some guy posted the Weatherbell Euro map and it has a 10" line running from about Wilmington to Belmar and a 12" line running from about Philly to Trenton and then over to Perth Amboy and then JFK (just about I-95), with everything NW of that line over a foot (up to 15") until snowfall starts to drop off way NW of I-95 (like well NW of the Philly CWA). The map even shows 3-5" all the way down to AC to Cape May, which I'm skeptical of (maybe the front end?). I've heard some question the Weatherbell maps, but never heard the reasoning. Assuming it's trustworthy, that's quite a hit for most.

It's not trustworthy in marginal situations. It counts sleet and freezing rain as snow. In this case since it's a snow to rain situation for areas SE of i95 it might be more credible. It uses 10:1 ratios. So if ratios in coastal areas are below that it won't match up well. If they are 10:1 then it might be close to accurate. That's the best explanation I can give you right now. I bet a met could do a lot better.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not trustworthy in marginal situations. It counts sleet and freezing rain as snow. In this case since it's a snow to rain situation for areas SE of i95 it might be more credible. It uses 10:1 ratios. So if ratios in coastal areas are below that it won't match up well. If they are 10:1 then it might be close to accurate. That's the best explanation I can give you right now. I bet a met could do a lot better.

ok, thanks...

Archived