joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
0z Models 2/12/2014 | Potential Major Coastal Storm

user13

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems that we get frozen precip for the city and coast until maybe noon, and then we torch the mid levels after. Hopefully we see another nudge east tomorrow as it is still tucking the low in too far to prevent mixing/changeovers for many of us after the front end burst. The CCB seems good though behind it. It by far seems the deepest at 500mb of any model.

Yea it closed off earliest (hr 30)..I think that's the earliest of the models

It seems that we get frozen precip for the city and coast until maybe noon, and then we torch the mid levels after. Hopefully we see another nudge east tomorrow as it is still tucking the low in too far to prevent mixing/changeovers for many of us after the front end burst. The CCB seems good though behind it. It by far seems the deepest at 500mb of any model.

Euro Portraying a powerful storm but how is it with Thermal Profiles compared to the Hi Res models/Short Range Models ?  Another Nudge East Tomorrow maybe a bit Colder and we are in Business. With that said could be a blend of Euro and couple other Models.

Does it delay the changeover any and deliver a good front end snow? I don't have access to maps.

Yes. Light snow breaks out at hr 30. Mod snow at hr 36 for all with heavy stuff on our door step. Hr 42 has the 850 and surface 0z line basically over knyc. So we (you and I change over maybe an hr or 2 before that. ) Then hr 48 we are warm (except the mid Hudson Valley and nwnj) . At hr 54 the 850s crash SE of us with the surface 0z line 20 miles nw of i95 with mod to heavy (probably sleet/rain to snow)

This is def colder than 12z.

So for us JM it's a nice front end dump followed by rain then the CCB drops a couple inches it looks like

It's just incredible how powerfull this storm is I think everyone is being deceived by the qpf or lack thereof. This storm is something to be reckoned with if you live in dc, nw of Philly (or philly proper), nw jersey, nw subs of NYC, west Connecticut and most of mass and just east of I 87. With fundamentals this big, don't rely on qpf maps 48 hrs out, this will expand west by 50-125 miles with 1-2' totals in my estimation.

Does anyone think it trends east tomorrow on the 12Z models and gives NYC 12-18 inches with only a 2-3 hour period of sleet. LI to get 8-12 inches. I still think NYC could be on the east side of the jackpot 1-2' snows. Let's see what happens tomorrow. I would be 60 percent confident for NYC to get 1' and 20 percent for LI to get this.

Does anyone think it trends east tomorrow on the 12Z models and gives NYC 12-18 inches with only a 2-3 hour period of sleet. LI to get 1 foot. I still think NYC could be on the east side of the jackpot 1-2' snows. Let's see what happens tomorrow.

It's not impossible. But LI is a big island. The east end is not getting a foot. NYC has a shot at a foot. Western LI has a much smaller chance IMO. There is still room for the models to wobble but you probably won't see drastic shifts. 12Z is your last real shot at a noticeable shift..and you better hope it's an east shift.

It's not impossible. But LI is a big island. The east end is not getting a foot. NYC has a shot at a foot. Western LI has a much smaller chance IMO. There is still room for the models to wobble but you probably won't see drastic shifts. 12Z is your last real shot at a noticeable shift..and you better hope it's an east shift.

Even without a shift we'll have to nowcast and see if the front end dump can over perform. See if any banding sets up etc before we warm.

On the AccuWeather board, some guy posted the Weatherbell Euro map and it has a 10" line running from about Wilmington to Belmar and a 12" line running from about Philly to Trenton and then over to Perth Amboy and then JFK (just about I-95), with everything NW of that line over a foot (up to 15") until snowfall starts to drop off way NW of I-95 (like well NW of the Philly CWA).  The map even shows 3-5" all the way down to AC to Cape May, which I'm skeptical of (maybe the front end?).  I've heard some question the Weatherbell maps, but never heard the reasoning.  Assuming it's trustworthy, that's quite a hit for most. 

Archived