• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
18z Models 2/11/2014 | Potential Major Coastal Storm

Sn0waddict

UKMET meteogram was pretty much all snow for KNYC. We'll flirt with the 0C line for a while yes. If H5 closes off the way the GGEM/UKMET/Euro portray, i'm confident we get backside CCB snows as well. Still 4 model cycles to go through before snow moves in. think Euro ticks SE tonight. GFS is a great model this winter, as is the Euro, i don't think any of them have the right solution right now, so take a compromise. 

Just looked at that on WB 850`s spike between 54 - 60 and collapse . The GFS  I will not use of the southern branch .

But just re read where someone said the UKMET  looked colder on the Plymouth state site ?

Maybe the mid level warmth spike on the Euro and seeing the 12z ensembles so tucked in , has me fried

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea I highly doubt the NAM is correct at H5. Like I said my forecast would adjust for that, something just seems off about its depiction and I cant buy it. There is no way with all that energy rounding the base that the s/w remains that open and neutral slightly negative tilt.

Here is the interesting thing, I still think the forecast could vary a lot becasue the kicker is still off shore. It wont come on shore for another 12 hours. It also come through the are where the Euro has had trouble this year.

post-4195-0-35437300-1392152683_thumb.jp

AF Recon plane will be sampling the energy in the Gulf this evening. 

NOUS42 KNHC 101620
REPRPD
WEATHER RECONNAISSANCE FLIGHTS
CARCAH, NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER, MIAMI, FL.
1120 AM EST MON 10 FEBRUARY 2014
SUBJECT: WINTER STORM PLAN OF THE DAY (WSPOD)
VALID 11/1100Z TO 12/1100Z FEBRUARY 2014
WSPOD NUMBER.....13-073

I. ATLANTIC REQUIREMENTS
1. FLIGHT 0NE -- TEAL 71--
A. A66/ DROP 9(28.2N 93.8W)/ 12/0000Z
B. AFXXX 05WSA TRACK66
C. 11/2000Z
D. 10 DROPS ON TRACK AS PUBLISHED
E. AS HIGH AS POSSIBLE/ 12/0200Z

Is Upton being conservative simply because its prudent at this timeframe? If not, then what models are showing only 4-8 for NYC Metro?  I am not criticizing, just curious.

Still about 36 hours out and conservative because of the challenge in forecasting how much snow falls before a mix with sleet and rain.  They want to get it right and not have to back track.  With a watch and a forecast of 4-8 they can go either way to downgrade or upgrade as we get closer and models further converge on a solution.

.SHORT TERM /WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY NIGHT/... LOW CONFIDENCE FORECAST AS COMPLEX STORM SYSTEM WILL IMPACT THE REGION DURING THIS TIME. WINTER STORM WATCHES HAVE BEEN ISSUED FOR THE ENTIRE CWA...AND THIS CAN BE CONVERTED TO WARNINGS/ADVISORIES AS NECESSARY AS THE EVENT DRAWS CLOSER AND CONFIDENCE IN THE FORECAST INCREASES. HIGH PRES OVER THE WESTERN ATLANTIC CONTINUES TO DEPART WEDNESDAY EVENING AS LOW PRES OFF THE SOUTHEAST U.S. COAST TRACKS NORTH INTO THE MID-ATLANTIC STATES. OVERRUNNING PRECIP DEVELOPS AHEAD OF THE LOW JUST AFTER MIDNIGHT WEDNESDAY NIGHT OVER SOUTHEAST PORTIONS OF THE CWA...AND THEN SNOW OVERSPREADS THE REGION DURING THE THURSDAY MORNING COMMUTE. THERE CONTINUES TO BE SOME DIFFERENCES AMONG THE MODELS IN TERMS OF WHERE THE LOW WILL TRACK DURING THE DAY THURSDAY...WITH MODELS STILL ALL OVER THE PLACE. 12Z ECMWF HAS A WARMER...WETTER SOLUTION. 12Z NAM IS COLDER...BUT HAS COME IN WITH MORE PRECIP...WHICH WOULD MEAN MORE SNOW. 12Z GFS SEEMS TO BE IN THE MIDDLE...AND IS FAIRLY ALIGNED WITH THE 00Z GFS ENSEMBLE MEAN. 12Z CMC ALSO FAVORS THE 12Z ECMWF...BUT IS NOT AS FAR WEST. AS A RESULT...STILL DO NOT HAVE A GOOD FEEL AS TO HOW THIS STORM WILL PLAY OUT...BUT SOME OF THE DETAILS ARE COMING INTO PLACE. SHOULD THE ECMWF VERIFY...WE MAY BE TALKING FLOODING CONCERNS WITH WARMER TEMPS AND LIQUID QPF AMOUNTS 3/4 TO 1 1/2 INCHES. IF THE NAM VERIFIES...WE COULD BE TALKING HEAVIER SNOW AMOUNTS DOWN INTO COASTAL ZONES...POSSIBLY GREATER THAN 8 INCHES. IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE TRACK OF THE LOW AND WHERE THE RAIN/SNOW LINE SETS UP ON THURSDAY. FOR NOW...LOOKING AT A BURST OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW THURSDAY MORNING WITH A GOOD 4-6 INCHES OF ACCUMULATION THROUGHOUT...AND LESSER AMOUNTS ACROSS NW ZONES. SNOW MIXES WITH AND CHANGES TO RAIN ALONG THE COAST...BUT EXACTLY WHERE IS UNCERTAIN...AND THEN PRECIP CHANGES BACK TO SNOW THURSDAY NIGHT AS LOW PRES DEPARTS AND UPPER LOW MOVES ACROSS THE REGION. SINCE PRECIP IS EXPECTED TO REMAIN AS SNOW ACROSS THE INTERIOR THURSDAY AND THURSDAY NIGHT...STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL WILL RANGE FROM 8-12 INCHES WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS ACROSS THE LOWER HUDSON VALLEY AND INTERIOR PORTIONS OF SOUTHERN CT...AND 6-8 INCHES ACROSS COASTAL CT...NYC...LONG ISLAND...AND SOUTHERN NJ. FOR COASTAL AREAS...SNOW WILL COME IN 2 BATCHES...A SLUG OF 4-6 INCHES THURSDAY MORNING AND THEN A SLUG OF 2-3 INCHES THURSDAY NIGHT INTO FRIDAY MORNING.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?format=CI&glossary=1&highlight=off&issuedby=OKX&product=AFD&site=NWS&version=1

Archived