• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 12-13 Storm, Part III: Trilogy ends and then Obs thread soon!

stormtracker

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With this forecast i do not understand how there is no warning up yet, but who really cares.

• Wednesday NightSnow. Low around 23. East wind 6 to 13 mph becoming north after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
  • ThursdaySnow. High near 33. Breezy, with a north wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 33 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.
  • Thursday NightSnow likely before midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 23. Northwest wind 9 to 17 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

do you just give it to them with the rest of your info?

Not really, the products are sent out by the CARCAH folks to the TOC (NWS Telecommunications Ops Center) who disseminate NWS products.  I see they are specifically sent to CMC, UKMet, Tokyo, Brasil, Argentina...and the WMO Global Telecommunications System who make them available as well.

How often in a setup like this does a SLP track inland. Usually, a Gulf storm or a Southeast storm tracks to around Hatteras and continues NE or follows the coastline, doesn't it?

No I think they track where ever... generally from west to east in our latitude but that is about all you can guarantee.. weather is generally chaotic 

well, new SREF has the 0-850 line passing west of BWI for a few hours, definitely warmer than last run and the first time the 0 line came west of mby.....meh, it continues

Um... 15z-21z THUR its like right at zero... maybe barely west of the I-95 corridor for a few hrs... but its not like its horrible +4 or something... more like +1 at most if that.  Before 15z THUR, 850 line is fine

well, new SREF has the 0-850 line passing west of BWI for a few hours, definitely warmer than last run and the first time the 0 line came west of mby.....meh, it continues

It seems to be becoming higher confidence that we'll mix or even changeover for a while at least. I think a lot of eggs need to be in the front end stuff. We can still do really well before the 850s get unfavorable, I think. 

Concerns for I-95 at the moment I'd rate as dryslot > sleet > temp > ability to accumulate > rain. I think a 5-8" dump overnight seems like a good bet, teeter on the dryslot, and then 2-4" on backend CCB. Talk in this thread aside, dryslot really appears the biggest concern--and probably a flip to mist/light sleet dependent on its western advance. Even the NAM rips it northward to just east of the I-95 corridor. GFS (I think Wes flagged this during the afternoon), aside from it's odd QPF alignment, doesn't tug 850s down as you'd expect in a CCB. In fact GFS has dryslot bit further east than NAM, which is a half-decent sign.

Stay on the western edge and we'll rock, but otherwise probably shuts it off for a few hours. So 7-12" seems like a good consensus for now.

post-690-0-96044300-1392167644_thumb.gif

Get the fork ready, we're about to be done. When I saw the inch line way west I kinda thought the 850s would follow.

if you run the precip maps through the end of the SREF run, you can see the CBB precip around the MA at the ed of the run, so maybe the backside will overperform

That happens a lot. My guess is the NaM starts giving in.

I get the sense LWX is too close to HQ etc. They have good mets but are among the worst offices when it comes to decisionmaking. I don't necessarily fault them for waiting but now that we are surrounded by warnings you'd think at the least they could hoist them in their high probability areas. They say low confidence but that's not what their numbers suggest when it comes to a warning at the least.

Most if not all of my non-enthusiast friends wouldn't have a clue what the difference is between a Winter Storm Watch and a Warning. This is more of a weenie gloating thing..

Concerns for I-95 at the moment I'd rate as dryslot > sleet > temp > ability to accumulate > rain. I think a 5-8" dump overnight seems like a good bet, teeter on the dryslot, and then 2-4" on backend CCB. Talk in this thread aside, dryslot really appears the biggest concern--and probably a flip to mist/light sleet dependent on its western advance. Even the NAM rips it northward to just east of the I-95 corridor. GFS (I think Wes flagged this during the afternoon), aside from it's odd QPF alignment, doesn't tug 850s down as you'd expect in a CCB. In fact GFS has dryslot bit further east than NAM, which is a half-decent sign.

Stay on the western edge and we'll rock, but otherwise probably shuts it off for a few hours. So 7-12" seems like a good consensus for now.

attachicon.gifnam_namer_045_700_rh_ht.gif

I like your analysis. I don't really remember much thunder-snow from 2010 unlike the potential of this system, but I might be wrong on that.

*my attempt at adding to the analysis :P

It seems to be becoming higher confidence that we'll mix or even changeover for a while at least. I think a lot of eggs need to be in the front end stuff. We can still do really well before the 850s get unfavorable, I think.

Once you're at peace with the changeover, then you want to root for a super wet solution. Even the 18z RGEM was an intense pre-mix dump.

Archived