• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 12-13 Storm, Part II

stormtracker

Those are mslp anomaly maps. you can draw conclusions based on op runs. For example, if the op run shows a decent low pressure in lala land, the anomaly maps will look like a big broad area of lp. Basically a swath of blue with no organized contours. 

All they are is an average SLP anomaly of all 51 members at a point in time. The more support for single low or high pressure, the more defined it becomes on the means. When you see tight clustering of members it starts to represent a smoothed look of a regular op surface panel. Does this make sense?

Makes perfect sense, thanks a lot!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think any pay sites have individual member surface panels. At least none that I know of. And it would probably be in my best interests to never have access to them. Adding 51 new panels to stare at may send me over the edge.

lol

this storm is going to put us all over the edge with either lack of sleep or maniacal frustration if it busts

Well, let me make you even more suspicious by eliminating 2 from your list-- 2/96 was definitely not one storm. There was an 8-12 hour break between the two events. 12/66 didn't reach 8" at DCA. 

But, the GFS isn't really nailing DC either....

Thanks for the clarification. I thought I had seen some 0.75"+ QPF pretty close by on the morning and afternoon runs. Have to believe being on the NW edge of that would be good for a 6-9" snowfall. Though not at DCA, I guess.

Anyone in the know want to elaborate on what the EC ENS cluster looked like on the 12z run?  Are the really as tight around the OP as the mean makes it seem?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but the ec ens definitely has majority support a rapidly deepening cyclone with a relatively narrow track envelope from nc to of the nj coast. however, weaker solutions can be much further east or west or wherever but they won't affect the means nearly as much as stronger solutions. 

I love it... All model pretty much in agreement (even the NAM now) but one.. GFS.  Everyone is still on edge because it will not budge.  Because of our climo... everyone is on ledge until the GFS comes around.  Also does not help when a Met tells us that the SW in the Pac has not been well sampled yet and could make all the other models flip.

Bob is wrong but I won't give him the link to keep him sane. ;)  Here's 72.

It's cool to see from these members that the slower solutions (like the operational) are the further west ones while the slightly faster ones all look amazing. Kocin's map actually looks spot on with several of the slightly faster, strong solutions... 

I love it... All model pretty much in agreement (even the NAM now) but one.. GFS. Everyone is still on edge because it will not budge. Because of our climo... everyone is on ledge until the GFS comes around. Also does not help when a Met tells us that the SW in the Pac has not been well sampled yet and could make all the other models flip.

My bar is the 41" at dca promised by cobb 18z nam

It's cool to see from these members that the slower solutions (like the operational) are the further west ones while the slightly faster ones all look amazing. Kocin's map actually looks spot on with several of the slightly faster, strong solutions...

Yeah looks that way. I didn't look that close but seems the op is on the western side of many of them at least. I'm on the Kocin train. ;)

Archived