• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 13-14 Potential Snowstorm II

earthlight

The Euro didn't come west today. It looks about what it was at 0z. It's stronger so there is even more of a front end snow thump but then some warming/dryslotting near the city/coast. I'll gladly take the 10" and then dryslot it shows.

The point is that it's overdoing it. If the NAM isn't introducing dryslotting issues because of an overamped solution, then it's pretty obvious that the future runs of the EURO will scale it back a bit. 

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look forward to you analysis on the ensembles.

The 12Z ensembles will be published here by someone else. I do not have access but some have to remember here that models are blended and not one model is used for an entire forecast. The 12Z euro OP is literally the most amped up/west track, and also like to add the ensembles have been more accurate of late.

Below are select 850 mb temperatures forecast by the 2/10 12z run of the ECMWF:

02102014_2.jpg

Don,

Luckily for most areas by that second column, the heavy precipitation is over. The Euro is showing 1.1" liquid equivalent in NYC by the time 850mb temperatures go over 0 C. So it is not surprising to see some of the snow algorithms still showing 12" or more in those areas.

For those wondering, the high resolution graphics are up on weatherbell now. This run definitely trended farther south and a bit colder throughout the column during the heaviest precipitation when compared to the 00z run. So while it is the farther west outlier, it has ticked a bit south and east. Another  simple tick east or south will have major implications.

For those wondering, the high resolution graphics are up on weatherbell now. This run definitely trended farther south and a bit colder throughout the column during the heaviest precipitation when compared to the 00z run. So while it is the farther west outlier, it has ticked a bit south and east. Another  simple tick east or south will have major implications.

I agree , I  think the entire suite is as good as it gets . at 0z knyc got 6 and 12z they get 12 , you guys get blitzed regardless 

Don,

Luckily for most areas by that second column, the heavy precipitation is over. The Euro is showing 1.1" liquid equivalent in NYC by the time 850mb temperatures go over 0 C. So it is not surprising to see some of the snow algorithms still showing 12" or more in those areas.

Strongly agree. This looks like a real thumping before the warmth becomes too great to overcome.

The Euro also seemed strongest overall with the southern stream energy and the phase, so perhaps its far west track makes sense. But I would bet there would end up a small shift east toward other guidance which is near the BM. But I like how far it expanded the snow shield, so a slight shift east wouldn't drop anyone off a cliff in the western suburbs and would rule out much or any mixing for I-95. Far eastern/southern sections will likely mix some regardless.

Can't post the entire graphic. But the Euro has 1.5" QPF through this frame and the city is sitting underneath a deformation band with very obvious dynamic cooling occurring. This is not appearing on the smoothed lower resolution graphics but these graphics pick it up.

attachicon.gifeuro.png

wow, that's a pretty extraordinary graphic. plus look at the coastal front gradient 

And Dr. Maue just posted a link to the new ECMWF indies on his Twitter  :lmao:

Some really impressive members from the 00z suite in there. 

Can't post the entire graphic. But the Euro has 1.5" QPF through this frame and the city is sitting underneath a deformation band with very obvious dynamic cooling occurring. This is not appearing on the smoothed lower resolution graphics but these graphics pick it up.

attachicon.gifeuro.png

Subsidence right over my area. Perfect.

I wish we weren't still 3 days away from this. We still have time for a lot of things to change. 

euro.png

Even shows LI not mixing either save for South Shore beaches maybe. And lets all keep in mind this is the furthest west and warmest model so far

Archived