• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Big One - Observation

JoshM

Approaching 7 or 8 inches at my house in Charlotte since the fist flakes started falling.  What a great encore to an awesome 3 days of winter weather in Charlotte.  If you can't be happy with this you need to move to the Sierra Nevadas or something.  Thanks for letting me lurk.

Agree completely. Its nice to see the Charlitte area be somwwhat of a target for a winter storm. Very very seldom do we ever stay all snow so that hasnt been a surprise. So nice to end with this crazy burst of snow!!!

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I awoke here in Dunwoody about 7:45 to see still more snow falling and it had been snowing per radar and nearby hourly reports since about 6 AM. The total snow measured at about 8:30 AM is a solid inch or so giving me a total on the ground now of ~3" (2" of IP with thin glaze and 1" of snow on top). The temp. had actually risen to 32.5 when I was checking it outside. So, some melting had occurred along with a little bit of earlier compaction most likely. All told, I estimate that I got 4" total, which is a major storm for this area (~2.5" IP and ~1.5" snow). I also got ~1/10" of ice accrual. Moreover, when using an IP to snow multiplier of 2.5, I get the equivalent of ~7.5-8" of snow. So, I'm quite pleased with what I got from this storm (even though it wasn't "historical" or catastrophic and a bit underperforming vs. the Euro and other more reliable models with ~1" total liquid equiv. that included about 0.25" of R/ZR vs 1.5"). :) It is just beautiful outside.

This ~2.5" of IP was the heaviest IP for this area since the 3+" of 1/1988. :)

So this snow that is just west of GSO is supposed to trend East?  Or is the expectation for the radar to fill back in?

As the ULL moves NE it will encompass the Triad area for several hours and will only start losing it's lift some as it passes over the Triad and diminishes towards the Triangle. I could see spots in the Triad getting 4-5 inches and 1-3 in the Triangle of additional accumulation

How'd the folks in Pickens and Oconee Co, SC do with the snow last night?  The Clemson webcams showed some snow this morning, but it seems like this was a big bust for you guys.  

There's something about the location of those areas relative to the mountains that causes them to miss out on the big snows so often.  It weird: that never seemed to happen there when I was growing up in the 80s but you can almost count on it with every storm now.

Archived