• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Big One - Observation

JoshM

The snow is still holding strong here in G-town, though it just barely got lighter.  Hardly noticeable, to be honest.  At the rate this is going, an additional 3" wouldn't be too far'fetched at this point...

Just got through taking a walk up to town, and it's a whiteout!  Hardly a soul on the road compared to yesterday's traffic, and surprisingly some of the small businesses are open, but if you're looking to head down to getting breakfast from a Hardee's or Mcdonald's...forget it.  Both are closed thanks to the weather.  Easily more tolerable to be outside when you don't have winds gusting over 20mph every so often, but boy is it tough to trudge through this kind of snow.  It's comparable to attempting to pedal on an exercise bike at high resistance.  Still, it's incredibly beautiful out here.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How were they so wrong about the crippling ice storm. It was above freezing the whole night

Forecasting wintry mix precipitation is one of the most difficult things to do... additionally, it's even more difficult when all the models have various solutions. And from a synoptic perspective, this isn't something that occurs all the time, so you can't trust the models 100%. The best you can do is make a good judgment based on all the data and parameters.

Does anyone know if melting snowpack has an appreciable effect on keeping temps from rising?

I've always learned that it does, as more of the sun's energy must go towards snow melt rather than warming the lower layers of the atmosphere. Also, at night, I believe the snowpack will increase radiational cooling.

Well had a little bit of it all. Freezing drizzle atm.

How much of what not sure... but a glaze from freezing drizzle on sleet/snow. Took 8 measurements with a base average of 5.25"

Hoping for another 4 or 5 at least with the slow moving ULL.

I hope the trends continue with the expansion of the precip. Btw hard to believe the thunder observations involve with the ULL... just insane.

Back to moderate snow here in the Mt Holly area.  Another hour or so of this before it starts to wind down going by the looks of the radar unless some backbuilding occurs.

Edit:  Scratch that, just looped the radar (had been looking at still images) and it seems the pivot is setup just far enough to my south the keep me in the returns for longer than I thought.

Wow, ok yeah this is the wet stuff that coats EVERYTHING.  The really heavy stuff is moving in now and piling up fast.  This is better than our initial snow yesterday.  I look like I could be right in the middle of the pivot point.  If so, I could very well make a run for 8-10" total.

Archived