SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Big One - Observation

JoshM

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moderate snow continues over most of metro ATL as we speak. The ULL way over performing for us I'd say.

31°

Over performed but not totally unexpected. As soon as I saw those radar dipections yesterday on the rap/nam i knew there was a chance of this..even though the models later on took it away because i've seen this a couple of times before where this wrap around tail end can surprise. 

It's still snowing  good here even though it's not being picked up by radar at all..not even on clear air mode. I always hope for that when we get one because it happens quite a lot where i'm at. A lot of times it doesn't happen but like this morning it does and it actually adds up to a lot.

As for here, i've picked up another 1.5 to 2 inches. Not sure when it started...I went to bed at 2:30 and nothing was happening. Woke up at 6:30 to find a nice surprise.  I probably have about 7 inches of sleet/snow on the ground. It's hard to know how much i got altogether. I'm sure compaction has made a pretty big difference because it's been on the ground quite a while  and there is a sheet of ice underneath this new snow weighting it all down. Plus yesterdays storm of sleet, frozen mist (which actually accumulated quite a lot) i have no doubt settle a lot.  Counting everything that actually fell, including 6 hours worth of moderate to heavy sleet the other night that didn't accumulate much thanks to the fact the ground was soaking wet (and warm).  it probably adds up to 8 or 9 at least.

It's cool  that when you walk around it sounds not like snow but like walking on a frozen mud puddle because of the freezing drizzle, rain, and sleet..and you can hear it crack well out ahead of you. Reminds me of the 2011 storm for sure as that did the same thing. The difference is there is new snow on top of that sheet of ice. The light glaze makes all the difference though on the trees..it's just gorgeous

Anxiously waitin for the band to set up shop over my house. HRRR depicts about 5 hours or so of snow. With those heavy banding rates, someone will get some impressive totals today. It would be cool to get 5 inches yesterday and 5 more today. Also impressive that southern areas have had accumulating snow for three days in a row!

light sleet in North Raleigh.  6" snow and about 1/2" sleet with a light glaze of freezing rain.  Are we supposed to get any of that deformation band here in the Triangle?  I am thrilled with what we got because the storm way overperformed for us but of course I wouldn't mind having a little more!

At home finally. It is a winter wonderland here, an inch last night/this AM, just finally ended. about 3.5-4" total, mostly sleet but the recent snow covered the trees/bushes nicely. Will post a couple pics in the picture thread. A very good storm!

The snow this morning really put the icing on the cake. It was already pretty but it made it look perfect.

light sleet in North Raleigh.  6" snow and about 1/2" sleet with a light glaze of freezing rain.  Are we supposed to get any of that deformation band here in the Triangle?  I am thrilled with what we got because the storm way overperformed for us but of course I wouldn't mind having a little more!

It's not a deformation band.

We're supposed to get some more around midday. Based on radar trends, that seems like a reasonable time frame. BL temps may or may not be a problem. I think the models warm us too quickly and we'll probably stay around freezing and drop when the precip starts.

It's just slamming us down here. This is pretty amazing. Heavier than yesterday just without the wind. 

Yeah. and looking at the radar this looks to keep going for a while.  

This snow is also a bit wetter and seems to be piling up faster.  The sleet layer has frozen together and can pretty much walk on top of it.

NE Cherokee County GA

Temp - 30

DP - 30

Precip - trace freezing rain to start; 1" sleet yesterday morning; then 20 hours of dry slot. About 1" snow added in the last few hours.

Still 0 outages in my EMC coverage area.

If our precip hadn't been robbed down in the panhandle yesterday this would have been epic. As it is, this is about what mby usually gets in your average little overnight snowstorm that doesn't take 2 days to trickle down. :)

Archived