Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The Big One - Observation

JoshM

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, guys, I'm going to bed.  I want to try to be up to see whatever we might get from the ULL in the mid-morning.  The HRRR says go-time is around 10 AM.  I am a bit interested in what's going on with the precip moving towards the Triad now, but it's still an hour away and it might just be more IP.

It's 23 with -PL at the moment.

the heaviest part of that band going through SE Charlotte right now is going right overtop of my house. Wish I were home to see what it was doing. Sad part is, I may not see my home until Friday afternoon. I may be stuck at work till then.

Brad Panovich says its freezing rain very hard in Charlotte currently...from his twitter feed

Alright, guys, I'm going to bed.  I want to try to be up to see whatever we might get from the ULL in the mid-morning.  The HRRR says go-time is around 10 AM.  I am a bit interested in what's going on with the precip moving towards the Triad now, but it's still an hour away and it might just be more IP.

It's 23 with -PL at the moment.

Have a good nite, gotime in the morning!!

Like minds think alike. I also just took a walk, my first of the day. Ah, what a walk! Beautiful, wet flakes and it was so quiet with nobody else out there. It is still snowing at a pretty good clip. I estimate 1/4" in just 30 minutes and it is still coming down on top of the sleet. What a winter wonderland!

It has been snowing at a decent rate in Dunwoody for 2.5 hours. I estimate I have gotten a nice ~1" of snow on top of the sleet. :)

Is it possible I'm seeing lightning in southern wake county?

Yes. That could be the system that brought Lightning to Pageland that Brad Panovich was talking about earlier.  Also, he says that some areas of Mecklenburg county already reporting .25" of ice.  F my life.  6 inches of snow, an inch or 2 of sleet and now .25" of ice.

FINALLY, after a whole 11.5 HOURS, the sleet in Gastonia stopped falling here!  Talk about annoyance with the constant tink noise being heard all throughout the day and early night.  *Sighs* Had this been all or even mostly snow, I likely would've approached the foot mark for today's total or even right at it. :(   Ah well.  At least what bit of snow fell with the sleet is actually more than enough for good sledding so there is always that, I suppose. :)  I've actually warmed up to 27° since my last temperature report, and the winds have calmed down some.  Nothing but dead silence now for the remainder of the night.

Well, I'm heading off to bed.  Hopefully that ULL can bring in a surprise for the morning.  Can't really complain much about this event, especially when you consider the intense heavy snow that people like myself was seeing before the sleet transition during the late morning/early afternoon period.  Now THAT was beautiful! ^_^   

I just want it to end already. I've already resigned myself to the fact that I'm not going home today. I would atleast like to get home sometime on Friday though.  The more ice that piles up, the less likely that happens. And if we just so happen to throw an inch of snow on top of that in the morning...good night

It looks like be first wave was the primary low and took a lot of moisture from the second low... any one get at least 8 inches inches in the western part of the state ?

I believe the parts of the State that would have stayed all snow(mountains) suffered from a lack of moisture to get alot of snow. Still could add some in the morning apparently. The band that stayed in Tennessee I believe was predicted to sit over the mountains. Somebody was predicting 18"+ from that band over Eastern Tennessee.

Archived