joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Big One - Observation

JoshM

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Setting at 11  1/2 in in MBY in surry co. Had  9 in at 7:30 this morning but been snowing all morning . Any chance the band from Charlotte makes it up my way ?I hope everyone is same and that we all get atleast a foot of snow.

Guess this proves we don't have to have a-NAO to get snow in SE

Yep,

That’s the story of my life here. I’ve never seen a snow fall bigger than 6 inches and I am 28 years old and lived here my whole life. (I was too young to remember Jan 88.)

We wound up with basically 2 inches of snow, followed by 1 inch of sleet/freezing rain, followed by 1/4 inch of fresh snow this morning.

So a grand total of about 3 inches on the ground... actually less due to snow compaction.   :axe:

I live less then 5 minutes south of hwy.11 above six mile and we got the shaft too! None of the models mentioned anything about freezing rain only maybe sleet mixing with snow in in our area. We started out as snow and then changed to freezing rain only around 3pm and stayed frz. rain until about 8:30 when it started sleeting pretty hard and then it went back to a little back end snow last night and this morning. We ended up with 2-3 of snow and sleet and about 1/4 or slightly more of frz. rain. A far cry from the 8-12+ that was forecast.   :cry:

I spoke with Andy Wood the met that used to be over at fox 21 about the warm nose that almost always sets up in our area during winter events a couple of years ago. He said the same thing that pickens and oconee counties is sc always get shafted because of the WAA. He really did not have a explanation other then it had something to do with having the mountains to our north, west & sw. at our back door this causes the warm air bubble to get stuck in this area. I have heard this area is called the thermal belt because it is always a couple of degrees warmer by several people. I have also had some say they think it is because of the nuclear plant at our back door??  I don't know but, it really gets old!  Does a met out there have any ideas on why this happens all the time??

The storm in 88 was awesome and the storm all storms are judged against in this area. All snow until the very end with a little sleet & frz. rain to finish temps dropped through the teens with snow and high winds. We had 16 inches of snow with snow drifts over 3 feet and the snow stayed on parts of the ground for the entire month of Jan. I think we set a record too at gsp for the month of january in our area with having the most overnight lows in the teens for that particular month and this was due to the snow cover.

I live less then 5 minutes south of hwy.11 above six mile and we got the shaft too! None of the models mentioned anything about freezing rain only maybe sleet mixing with snow in in our area. We started out as snow and then changed to freezing rain only around 3pm and stayed frz. rain until about 8:30 when it started sleeting pretty hard and then it went back to a little back end snow last night and this morning. We ended up with 2-3 of snow and sleet and about 1/4 or slightly more of frz. rain. A far cry from the 8-12+ that was forecast.   :cry:

I spoke with Andy Wood the met that used to be over at fox 21 about the warm nose that almost always sets up in our area during winter events a couple of years ago. He said the same thing that pickens and oconee counties is sc always get shafted because of the WAA. He really did not have a explanation other then it had something to do with having the mountains to our north, west & sw. at our back door this causes the warm air bubble to get stuck in this area. I have heard this area is called the thermal belt because it is always a couple of degrees warmer by several people. I have also had some say they think it is because of the nuclear plant at our back door??  I don't know but, it really gets old!  Does a met out there have any ideas on why this happens all the time??

The storm in 88 was awesome and the storm all storms are judged against in this area. All snow until the very end with a little sleet & frz. rain to finish temps dropped through the teens with snow and high winds. We had 16 inches of snow with snow drifts over 3 feet and the snow stayed on parts of the ground for the entire month of Jan. I think we set a record too at gsp for the month of january in our area with having the most overnight lows in the teens for that particular month and this was due to the snow cover.

Well, the reasons we get screwed is no secret. There’s about half a dozen things working against us. Here are some:

1.  We are the LAST place to get Cold air advectioin from the northwest, due to the mountains. This is how we can stay rain until the precip is over, but it will switch to snow  in time for places like Charlotte.

2.  The mountains of course rob any moisture coming from the west or northwest, but a lot of time this precip will redevelop in time to hit points from Spartanburg east.

3.  There’s no doubt that our boundary layer temps are almost always a degree or two warmer than surrounding areas in winter storms due to the downslope warming from the mountains and somehow it seems warm air at the surface settles over the savannah river valley. This can have a huge impact in marginal events... see Tuesday for example.

When you add those up there is almost always at least one of them working against us in any given winter storm, thus, we almost always have lesser totals than virtually every location around us.

Just had to clean the sat dish.  Took some measurements and my guesses were right.  2" fresh snow on top of 3" of snow/sleet cement now.  Currently missing out on the 2"/hr rates up here NW of CLT, but easily in a .75" to 1" per hour band.  2 more inches and I can break the 6" mark, would be a first for me since moving down to the region after college.  Came close when I lived in Huntersville with a 5" snow.

Archived